team #21 "Team blackjack"

Public Land Prowler

I woke up late yesterday and then realized my license went out friday,so we got out late.Had my wife and oldest son with me.I walked them near to death with no luck,and then set up in a green field where a strutter had been seen a few days before.After an hour we decided to hit one more spot and leave.I parked and walked to a drain...hit 3 yelps on a box and he cut me off!

I ran back to the truck and got them out,as we were setting up he was just gobbling on his own!!This was 12:20pm so I just new this would be an easy bird..lol I will say he was a tough ole boy.I was using my favorite technique of giving him just enough and then going quiet...letting him gobble and not answering him back for 5-8 minutes at the time..but he wouldn't budge.I had to work him almost an hour before he would budge.

What made him come was I shook my gobble shaker,and it set him on fire!He made a solid run for me,but didn't come where my son could get a shot..He circled to our left,and wound up on the other side of the tree from my wife.She couldn't see him.He was probably as close as 45yds at one point,and behind some dogwoods.I peeped around the tree,and could have taken the gun from her and shot him,but I wanted her to get him.We don't get to go together much...

So he eased back to around 80yds,and hung up.After another 35 minutesI then crawled away from her,and him,to sound like I was leaving.I got about 40yds from her,and called some more.She said he was coming,but then I heard a hen come in clucking!:banginghe.This was about 1:50pm.He shut down,and one time I saw him following the hen,so I knew the game was over.

She stole him away..lol I can't believe I worked that bird for an hour and a half,and went home empty handed!..Gotta love it though!He's one of 3 mid day toms that have beaten me.All the other ones have rode home with me..lol

Oh well another exciting day with the family.I think I am going to go in there after him in a little bit.But I got a suprise for him. ;)

lock on

Awesome, had to be exciting! Maybe he will slip up today! Good luck! May be another good bird! Were going after a big bird in the morning. Hope to add another to our list in the morning!

fowl play

I got one this weekend had double beards 8.75 and 7.5 also had 1 1/8 spurs got him posted up on the kill thread!!

fowl play

Lock on, you must be huntin pretty hard havent heard from ya. Give me a call let me know if you have had any luck!

Public Land Prowler

Well I missed one yesterday at about 50yds.It was a 2yr old so maybe I was being told to hold off..lol..

Earlier this season I noticed the windage adjustment on my rear sight had vibrated loose.I "thought" it usually shoots right,so put it back a hair left of centerline.Well I shot it yesterday when I got hom at 50yds,and still should have gotten the bird,but found out I am now shooting left,so I got it centered back up today.

I was shooting freehand as well,and I have fought off flinching problems before(I'm shooting a 3 1/2 mag,and have to force myself to stay focused.)...so I imagine it being off a little and me possibly flinching caused me to miss.

Either way when I shot he jumped straight up ran bout 5 yds looked around,saw me shucking another shell,took off running,and flew out of sight...Yep,I'd say it was a clean miss...lol

lock on

He guys I'm still hunting just been getting my tail whipped by a good bird! Going back after him for the next 2 days! I hate to do it but i'm going to deer hunt him! Everytime you call he turns and goes the other way! It's on now! I have watched him pitch off the limb to many times in a row! I going to where he lands now! Not sure how big his spurs are but they are pink! Got to look at them from the top of a ridge about 70yds out! I think he is a good bird!

fowl play

Good luck, there's no shame in huntin them like a deer a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. I will be in Kansas may 7th through the 11th hopefully I can find us a couple of 20+ rios for the challenge!!

Public Land Prowler

Good deal..I don't think I would mind coming in 2nd to get the trail cam.

If we get one more...Can we drop whichever bird we want to make it where we come in 2nd?

I'm gonna push the panic button in about 5 days...I am about to give up hope on that one with big spurs..but who knows?Especially since you are going to Kansas John...It may come down to you.We need a 23 or 24 pt bird to put the nail in the coffin.

lock on

Hey guys sorry for not having a camera! That sucks, I thought my buddy had his or I would have had some more time for our next bird. Anyways we have had a great season and hopefully win something! Good Luck til she closes boys!

Public Land Prowler

Without a doubt!!Looks like ole turkeyed wasn't pulling our leg.I doubt we will pull it off,but we can still come in solid for 2nd...Unless y'all know where a bird with 2" spurs,and a 14" beard is..lol

Dupree

Without a doubt!!Looks like ole turkeyed wasn't pulling our leg.I doubt we will pull it off,but we can still come in solid for 2nd...Unless y'all know where a bird with 2" spurs,and a 14" beard is..lol

so how much ar yall sitting on right now since you are so confident on a solid second, i didnt look to see what you guys have entered that hasnt been totalled up yet, but I only see 4 birds on the score sheet? Im in no way bashing you guys, yall have had a great season as many of us have. Just wondering?

Public Land Prowler

Tyson has a 22+ pt bird entered which has not been added yet,and that will bring us to 5...plus the fact that we have one bird in the books (that would be our 6th bird and is bigger than the 19.75 )that we are sitting on for a few more days to give Fowl play a few days in Kansas,and Me and lock on both have 1 more bird to go in Ga..... ;)

Dupree

Tyson has a 22+ pt bird entered which has not been added yet,and that will bring us to 5...plus the fact that we have one bird in the books (that would be our 6th bird and is bigger than the 19.75 )that we are sitting on for a few more days to give Fowl play a few days in Kansas,and Me and lock on both have 1 more bird to go in Ga..... ;)

well it all makes more sense now. Congrats on yall's season. You bird from opening weekend was a stud!! Im hoping our 107.125 gets us something. If we dont win anything I cant complain, at least my team is even in the running for a prize. A lot of teams dont even have a bird entered!

lock on

PLP is a killing machine! Way to go partners! Even if we don't get anything we had a heck of a season. I couldn't have asked for two better guys to partner up with! Guess we sit around and wait on the results! Good job guys!