Team 26, "Drop & Flop"

trkyburns

Good luck. I got one roosted for the morning... problem is, I have to be at work at 8:30. I'm gonna be in the woods at 6:30, fly down time hopefully around 7:00 depending on the weather, try to get it done before 7:45 or else I'll leave him for another day.

jaymax

If any of you need some help this weekend, let me know..i wouldnt mind staying with in an hour of the house...I'll call and run the cam for ya

trkyburns

Good luck this weekend fellers! I am going to a new place tomorrow but guiding for a guy who has never been turkey hunting (yipee...). I talked to him earlier and he doesn't even have shells for his "turkey gun" so I am setting him up with a gun of mine. I will carry my gun too and I only hope I can put us in a situation where I can be the shooter!! Selfish maybe, but I haven't even seen a bird in two weeks on my spots (hence the reason I agreed to guide this guy at a new place!).

chase870

Possum Sox
tried to set up on Doc's Destroyer this morning but he wasn't home. Had a 2 year old bird and a couple of jakes come close by but the 2 year old would not come to me. He gobbled some but never struted, guess the Destroyer has him afraid to play around on that end of the property

trkyburns

Didn't hear a peep while guiding saturday morning, but probably logged 6 or 7 miles on foot. Dropped the guy off at the gas station where he left his truck and ran into the brother of a guy who is in my club. It just so happens he was hunting the property across the creek from my club and had just left the woods 45 minutes earlier and told me there was a bird gobbling his head off in one of our fields when he left. Even though it was 12:30, I headed straight to the club and this bird. Long story short... 30 yards, bad setup (stupid mistake), didn't get a shot. Hey, at least I got a couple of gobbles out of him. That's the most I had heard in two weeks!

I think I got this bird pegged now though... stay tuned.

More good news, I heard 4 different birds this morning before church but didn't have enough time to make it happen. It is just starting to get good here.

chase870

Possum Sox
Never answer the owl hooter unless you want to ride in the truck. I killed a 2 year old bird this morning on the way to work I'll post pic's when I get home

trkyburns

Good job! :clap:

I hope to contribute soon guys. Pressure is on me as I am now the only one without a bird entered so far. But believe me, it is not for lack of trying.

fredw

Retired Moderator
I'll be adding one as soon as I can get the pics uploaded. Rio shot below Ft. Stockton TX.

trkyburns

strange week so far

I went Monday & Tuesday afternoons. Tuesday I went to my club, the same place where I had a gobbler in range on Saturday afternoon, but it looked like a totally different place... come to find out they are clearcutting about 60 acres of it. Would be nice if the president/landowner would let us know or better yet wait until after turkey season to cut it! :banginghe

This morning before work I had two birds gobbling in opposite directions, each about 300-400 yards away. Only had an hour to hunt so I had to leave 'em. This is a small (30 acre) place and the birds have been roosting on bordering property. It's Dukeboy's dad's place and he said I could go after them again in the morning. He was there working around 9:30 this morning and saw a tom & 2 hens near where I was calling from. If only I didn't have to leave the woods at 7:45...

I also saw what looked like turkeys at a distance of about 300 yards standing on a pile of dirt and they also appeared to be fighting... but as luck would have it they were buzzards standing on top of a dead horse feeding on it. That pretty much sums up my luck so far this season... :O
At least I'm luckier than the poor horse was.

**Update - I had him at 70 yards this morning but he wouldn't come any closer and two hens dragged him away. He has a nice beard, maybe even big enough for bonus points. Had a jake at 15 steps - 4th jake I have had in range this season. I'm seeing more jakes than I did last year!**

Last edited:

fredw

Retired Moderator
Just finished up a good week....rio and javelina in Texas and merriams in New Mexico.

I added my bird number 3 to the kill thread.

Now back to chasing those eastern birds. Ya'll keep working at it....I'm pulling for the team from the sideline now:p

chase870

Possum Sox
Just put another 5 point bird on the board. 2 year old with a double beard. I was hunting the "Doc's Destroyer" this morning and this bird showed up. I'm starting to wonder where the Destroyer is. I havent seen or heard him since opening day. I did manage to save the jakes from a yote this morning. 2 Oz. of #5 at 30 yards is bad news for a yote

Attachments

• IMG_1662.JPG
    IMG_1662.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 173

chase870

Possum Sox
Thanks Fred, one more bird and I can limit out. I been hunting one that would give us some bonus points, but keep running into these pesky 2 year old birds. How are we doing on points, and what place are we in???

trkyburns

Way to go Fred & Chase! I have been keeping up with the points on my own as birds are entered and as of right now with what has been entered, we are in 7th place, 20 points back from the first place team. We have a total of 40 points. 2 more mature birds would move us to 3rd place (assuming nothing were to change).

I'm still trying, harder than ever in fact. This has just been my worst season in a long time in terms of bad luck and not having very many birds to hunt at all. I hope things might be changing for the better... I just picked up a new place to hunt and yesterday afternoon I hunted/scouted it. It is 425 acres and it definitely has birds.

jaymax

Great job guys! ...sorry bout my 2 birds gettin disqualified for bad pictures..still got bama and florida soon..maybe this weekend

trkyburns

Jay, only one of your birds was DQ'd if I am not mistaken. You have entered just two right? If so, one of those was counted.

I'm not worried about you man, you will get us 2 more.

jaymax

Set it up today! Headed to Florida for the last weekend outa state!

chase870

Possum Sox
Well I didnt hunt today but I might go with ADDICTEN2HUNTIN in the morning, tryin to kill his bird for him. He has one that has been wearing him out. If I dont go with him I'll see if I can kill the "Doc's Destroyer" in the morning. Looks like I will have to work close to the Destroyer next week, might be able to hunt him a couple of days while I'm there