team 4

The Arrow Guru

I was going to be hunting while spring break was going on but my cousin asked me if I would help his son kill a turkey. He is 14 and never killed one before. I got him one Friday. Now it's back to me trying to kill one. Good luck. Am I right, we only have 10 points?

mallardk

Frustrated

Didnt hunt last week, jumped back in this weekend, called up 4 jakes , it was like i had force field around decoy they would not come with in 40 yards of the decoy, went back Sunday morn , took 10yr old son to get a Jake, bumped by mistake off roost, then had a hen land in tree 30 yrds in front of us, she flew down a 100 yards off, then saw another bird fly down to her, it strutted around her for 20 mins and they walked off together. I have yet to hear one gobble. Before we bumped them off roost i had blown owl call and peacock call, walked on in about 50 yards and the tree tops exploded. Cant figure out what is going on.

The Arrow Guru

I personally do not like to use locators in the morning. I like to let tham gobble on thier own. I believe that after the first couple weeks they have been hooted at, crow called to and have heard it all. The onlt time I will use a locator at that point is if I have one gobbling on the roost and I am trying to get closer and need to know where he is at. Just my opinion, but I think useing a locator right first thing in the morning to make them gobble just lets them know you are there. Even mornings where they have not gobbled good or at all on the roost, they almost will always gobble on the ground after fly down. It might only be once or twice, but a gobbler that ends up by himself after fly down will gobble and caan be killed. Good luck.

mallardk

Just want to hear one

The problem is we are now into the middle of April and these birds want gobble at all, have had them strutting at 60 yards and no gobble, have heard them fly down, no gobble. Only thing I can think of is that the yotes have been on them and they no not to talk.

The Arrow Guru

Well get after'em there is one thing I know for sure. You can't kill them if you are not in the woods! Good luck, I hope you get one fired up out there.

blong

Went to some property were I have been getting pics of a good one this morning and heard nothing. I saw him strutting at 2:15 yesterday and figured he would be vocal this AM.
Heading to north Arkansas tomorrow for the weekend and maybe hunt Mo. monday and tuesday. Then headed to Mx. for a goulds hunt april 29 for a 3 day. Maybe I can get us a few more points.

The Arrow Guru

Well I sure wish one of us would kill some turkeys. I witnessed one killed on public land this morning. Three of us were hunting together, I almst had a shot when he putted and started to leave and my buddy sitting to my left had the only shot and rolled him. I prolly wont get to go agian until Sunday.

The Arrow Guru

I went Sunday and didn't hear anything. I got up this morning (Tuesday) and it was overcast and windy so I went back to bed. I hope the weather gets stable. Good luck every body.

BBDJR

sorry for the weak season from me guys.:mad: i didnt get to hunt as much as i thought i could but was on birds everytime just couldnt get them in range. im leaving tomorrow for my wedding in charleston and wont be back from the honeymoon till after the season. good luck to you guys and slam one for me!! its been fun! :cheers:

blong

I had a very weak season myself. I got 2 easterns and a goulds out of alot of hunting. I got caught up in the beauty of the Sierra Madres and forgot to take a pic for the contest of the goulds. Our season is over now so good luck to the rest of you.

mallardk

Still here

Headed out in the morning, messed with one gobbler two mornings last week, could never get him inside 60 yards, but think i have him patterned pretty good, which one thing I have learned , right when I think I know where they are going, they change it up, have laid off him for about 4 days now.