Team #95

Quercus Alba

Roger that. I reckon I might as well wait the seven days.

Zack attack

I have got a couple birds staked out. I am excited for tomorrow morning!!! I have spotted one of them in the same field several times this week by his self.

Quercus Alba

Good luck zach. I'll be out there also. I think they are calling for rain, however.

Dupree

I went this morning (called in sick at 6:15 and dressed in camo instead of work clothes and went to a place about 2 miles down the road) and had 3 birds gobbling. Only one of them was on my property by about 50 yards and he flew down on the other side of the fence with some hens. I stayed set up right on the line for about 3 hours and didnt do any good. I heard him gobble until about 8 am then I think he just got out of hearing range. The other two birds that were gobbling only gobbled every now and again from the other property. I drove by the front of the property to see if there was an old farm house that was by the cow pastures to try and get permission, but there wer 4 different houses that bordered the pastures and I didnt want to go door to door trying to find the right one. Maybe in the morning he wont fly down on the other property. With the foul weather in the forecast I really dont want to walk 1 1/2 hours in on the wma, so I will probably hunt my 220 acres this weekend. There were several dusting areas and tons of tracks all in the roads, which is the first time there has been any sign there since the season opened up. I will probably head out there in a little while and see if I cant get one fired up in this 18-20 mph wind! Good luck this weekend fellas!

Last edited:

Dupree

Got em'

I went at 6:00pm and made the same setup I had this morning. As soon as I sat down I saw a hen about 150 yards away. She went over the hill and I yelped a couple times. Shortly after a longbeard came over the hill strutting, got to about 120 yards and hung up for what seemed like an eternity. About 25 minutes later some thunder struck and two gobbled over the hill then shortly came over it strutting with 4-5 hens. The smaller bird (the one I killed) came running to about 70 yards and hung up again. After about 30 minutes the two larger birds came on in to him then turned and followed the hens down the ridge. This bird crossed the creek and I couldnt pass him up. I pulled the trigger at 7:30pm. Having turkeys strut in front of me for about an hour and 15 minutes was tearing me up! I could have gotten some great footage if I had of taken my video camera. As I was coming out the other two birds gobbled at some thunder, but Im going to wait until Sunday and take my wife in there. Im going to wait for yalls reply, but he will score 18.75 in the challenge if entered. 10" beard, 7/8" spurs, 20lbs 4 oz. Its good to get the monkey off of my back!!

Attachments

• 101 turkey 012 (480 x 640).jpg
    101 turkey 012 (480 x 640).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Dupree

heard 2 birds this morning on the wma. One gobbled once, the other gobbled twice. They had lock jaw this morning b/c they werent even gobbling at the thunder between 8:00 and 9:00. I rarely dont hear a bird gobble at thunder!

Dupree

i killed a bird this morning that scores 19. i will post more tomorrow.

after the weekend is over we will have to figure out what birds we are going to enter. We have 3 eligible right now! Thats what im talking about.

Congrats on your bird!!

Quercus Alba

Heck ya fellas. Congrats. Let me know what to do with that 17.5 as well.

Dupree

Heck ya fellas. Congrats. Let me know what to do with that 17.5 as well.

Ill let you know about that 17.5 once the weekend is over. I think you should not enter him, b/c you still have 2 more before you tag out. I am going to where I killed my bir friday in the morning w/ a buddy. My wife wants to sleep in. I have a b-mobile for those 2 big birds that was pushin my 2 yr old around. 6 more hours and Ill be headd out there.

I sure am glad that our team was composed of all people that enjoy turkey hunting. We have all killed birds now, and Im sure there are more to come. I have gotten a late start, but ill get 2 more before the season is over!

Dupree

I missed 2 different birds this morning. First one came in perfect. 5 minutes after setting up he was at 30 yards. I shot and he started to flop, and I was running to him and he got up and flew across to the opposite ridge and hit the ground running. I know I hit him, but I also hit a small tree that was invisible when I was focused on the bird. We went up on top of the other hill and was looking for him and one gobbled over the next hill. I went up about 100 yards and hit a call and he didnt answer. When I stepped up to the crest of the ridge he was standing about 30 yards away. He started putting and was fast walking out of there. When i shot he jump straight in the air and flew off. My buddy thinks that this whole situation is hilarious, but im a little upset. I have never missed a turkey in my life, to have missed 3 longbeards this season. When I got back to his house to drop him off to shoot my gun, and That wasnt the problem. i guess my nerves just got the best of me!

Quercus Alba

I feel your pain brother. I missed one earlier this year also. I never thought it could happen to me until then.

Zack attack

Well fellas I tagged out this morning. It only scored 16.5 but it was an awesome morning. It had .75 spurs and a 9 inch beard. The other bird I shot had 1 inch spurs and a 9 inch beard. The bird that scored 19 weighed 24 pounds and the 16.5 bird weighed 25 pounds. They are heavy up this way.
My brother came up to hunt with me for the opener (my brother is Thunder Head). Saturday morning the 19 bird strutted all the way into the decoy setup from about 150 yards, he never gobbled but he was a spittin and a drummin the whole time. I roled him about at about 25 yards.
This morning we worked these birds from day light but they would not come down into the hole that we were in. One of thim made a complete circle around us but would not come in close enough. After he was back out of sight we changed our location. No sooner than we set down and my brother made one call a bird starts running our way out of the woods 120 yards away. He ran the whole way in. He started strutting about 20 yards out. Another bird jumped up on to a wood fence jumped off and ran in to our setup. The first bird started to fight B-mobile and then the second bird started fighting the first bird. My brother shot the first bird at about 8 yards away and the second bird ran and I busted him at about thirty yards. It was an awesome double. My blood was pumping. I don't care if it only scores 16.5 it was one of the best hunts I have had in a long time. We only get two tags in Ky so I am afraid that I am done for the year. I guess my 19 scoring bird will have to do. If it is ok with you guys I will register him in the morning.

Quercus Alba

Awesome Zack. I'm glad to hear you got another. We definitly need to figure out what to enter because the birds are back to whippin' my butt. I can't guarantee another kill, as they are starting to wise up real fast. I've already entered two so that leaves one that I haven't entered, your two, and tacoma's bird. We could have our 6 right there. Plus we get to cull one later on. I don't know. Yall fellas decide. Just let me know whether to enter my 17.5 or not.

Dupree

I say we enter my 18.75 and zack's 19, and your 17.5, then leave the last place open for one that scores higher than 20. If we enter all 6 now then the 16 will be dropped, so we might as well leave it open for a big bird. I know I will be able to get a bird that scores good. My private land is full of lonely mature birds now, if only I can hit them. Does this sound like a good idea to you two?

Quercus Alba

Sounds good. I would just hate to not enter it and then wish we had at a later time.

Dupree

well the lowest scoring bird is dropped in the end, so that would be the one dropped. If we enter it then our score willl be the same as if we didnt enter it. If we dont enter it, then we have the chance to drop your 17.5 if we kill something bigger.

Zack attack

I added my 19 on the kill thread.
Here is a pic of my 16

Attachments

• turkey 08 011.jpg
    turkey 08 011.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 97

Dupree

I got one that will score 22, but I got to take a shower and go to my cousins funeral so I dropped him in the freezer and will take pics this afternoon after I get home.

Quercus Alba

Heck ya. Sorry to hear about your cuz. My grandma's in the hospital so I haven't been to the woods for a few days. Hopefully I can get out a couple more times before the season ends.

Latest posts