Tech's first 2013 pick up

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Sweet!

Georgia Tech gets 1st commitment for 2013

7:47 pm April 2, 2012, by Michael Carvell

Georgia Tech finally got its first commitment for 2013. And he’s a good one.
RB Travis Custis is "a step faster" than NFL RB Tashard Choice, according to his coach (AJC)

RB Travis Custis is "a step faster" than NFL RB Tashard Choice, according to his coach (AJC)

Travis Custis, a 4-star running back from Lovejoy High School, committed to Georgia Tech over football scholarship offers from Miami, Tennessee, Clemson, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Virginia and Mississippi State, among others.

“Coach Paul Johnson and the rest of the Georgia Tech coaches have really shown us a lot of love, and we feel like we can come here and make a difference,” said his father, Travis Sr. “We liked Georgia Tech, and the other schools we were really looking at were starting to fill up at running back … so we thought ‘Why wait any longer?’”

The 6-foot, 212-pound Custis has broken all the Lovejoy rushing records previously held by Tashard Choice — who starred at Georgia Tech and now plays in the NFL.

Lovejoy’s coach even went as far to say that Custis is “a step faster” than Choice.

“They are very similar running backs … Travis has broken all of Tashard’s records and he’s a step faster than Tashard,” Al Hughes told the AJC. “They have very similar styles of running. Tashard is a strong inside runner who can also hurt you outside. It’s the same with Travis.

“Travis is a power runner. He’s a slasher but also has great breakaway speed. He’s an Adrian Peterson-type of runner. That’s his style … he can run through a tackle or around a tackle. Travis has got that extra gear of speed. Every time he touches the ball, there’s a chance he can take it to the house.

This past season as a junior, Custis helped lead Lovejoy to the Class AAAA state championship game, where it lost to Tucker. Custis was the team’s workhorse, rushing for 1,839 yards and 30 touchdowns.

For Georgia Tech, Custis is the inaugural commitment for its 2013 recruiting class. Paul Johnson has said that it may be one of his smaller classes, with as few as 14-15 signees because the ACC school’s low rate of attrition. Running back is a top priority for Georgia Tech, which hopes to sign two at the position.

“I think that’s great for Travis because Georgia Tech is definitely a program where a running back would have a chance to be highlighted,” Hughes said. “That’s a good place for a running back to go, I would think.”

Said Travis Sr., “We love Coach Johnson because he has always been honest and straight forward with us the whole time. He showed more interest in Travis than the coaches from the other schools, and that was big with us. He made no bones about it. He said ‘Hey, we want your son.’”

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't get overly anxious about recruiting- but he sounds like he has potential. If it were uga - rex would need to know what he had for lunch.....:bounce:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Best part about this thread is bonaireboy's avatar! :bounce: I'm sure this is one thing Dawg and Yeller fly fans will agree on!:p

Good pickup for you guys!:flag:

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Sounds like a good one..

Sugar HillDawg

Great pick up Tech. Knew you guys could beat out W.Carolina and Presbyterian for this guy.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Great pick up Tech. Knew you guys could beat out W.Carolina and Presbyterian for this guy.

For once we got a guy who was recruited by other decent schools...come on man...:bounce:

Edit: I forgot you are now a Florida fan and incapable of rational thought, that tebow jersey make it to your doorstep yet??;)