Temperature monitoring

Etoncathunter

I just got a new smoker/ grill from the family for a combo bday/father's day. I'm curious, what is everyone using to monitor cooking temps? I'd like to get me one of those bluetooth/ wifi doohickeys , but not sure what's good or what's junk.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I have a drawer full of remote therms I don't use anymore. I set my smoker where I want it to run, usually 250* and check my meat with an instant read therm every so often until I get the internal temp I want. I am a "less complicated is better" smoker.

:cheers:

Cmp1

BANNED
I used to use an instant read thermometer bought from an HVAC supply house,,,,good,inexpensive thermometers,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have an old cheap remote probe thermometer that I bought at Lowe's years ago that I use sometimes. I have an instant read one that I also use, but often with brisket or butts, I don't even turn it on, just notice when it goes into the meat like a stick of butter. :)

I cook more to feel and appearance than to any exact temp. It's done when it's done, pretty much.

Dub

Years ago I bought one of the Maverick's to monitor things.

Somewhere along the way I quit using the things. I'll just eyeball the grill every so often.

Bill Mc

Bought a dual probe from ThermoWorks (Smoke) so I can measure the temps of the meat and grate. The one in the lid can be used only to see if it's going up or down.

works fine on my Weber grill.

Etoncathunter

Thanks for all the input. Y'all gave me a bit to think on. Basically what I'm looking for is something to use as a get more experience and to help learn this grill. I know the lid mounted ones ain't all that accurate.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the input. Y'all gave me a bit to think on. Basically what I'm looking for is something to use as a get more experience and to help learn this grill. I know the lid mounted ones ain't all that accurate.
I have no idea how accurate the one on my lid is, but it doesn't make a lick of difference, really, as long as I know where to keep it at to cook what I want to. A fairly wide range of temps will work just fine for smoking meat. With my Akorn, smoking butts, ribs, or briskets, I usually run it so the dome thermometer says 250-275. I don't know or really even care if that's what it actually is, because meat cooks there the way I want it to.

Any kind of remote probe-type thermometer usually works pretty good. I stick one in big hunks of meat like butts and briskets pretty often, just so I can keep a check on its progress. I don't remember the brand name of the one I have, but I bought it at Lowe's for about $20, and it's worked for years.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Sixes

I use a thermapen for chicken, pork loin, etc. But if I am cooking a butt or anything that takes hours and needs to hit a certain temp, I use a remote maverick. I like the alarm feature when cooking butts. Set it, go to bed and wait for the beep

Latest posts