Test the Things that Differ

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
The correct translation of the first command of Philippians 1:10 is, “test the things that differ.” Every student of the Word of God knows that in that Word there are things which differ; but very few of these students seem to know very much about testing the things that differ. Things in God’s Book differ because God’s dealings with different people in that Book differed. Intelligent Bible study demands the recognition of the different dispensations in the Bible.

About seven years after the death and resurrection of Christ those apostles who had companied with the Lord Jesus from the beginning of His earthly ministry (Acts 1:22) glorified God because then and there God granted repentance unto life to Gentiles. Acts 11:18. Then the leader of those apostles, Peter, said: “Men and brethren” in Acts 15:7.

“AND WHEN THERE HAD BEEN MUCH DISPUTING, PETER ROSE UP, AND SAID UNTO THEM, MEN AND BRETHREN, YE KNOW HOW THAT A GOOD WHILE AGO GOD MADE CHOICE AMONG US, THAT THE GENTILES BY MY MOUTH SHOULD HEAR THE WORD OF THE GOSPEL, AND BELIEVE. AND GOD, WHICH KNOWETH THE HEARTS, BARE THEM WITNESS, GIVING THEM THE HOLY GHOST, EVEN AS HE DID UNTO US;”
“AND PUT NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN US AND THEM, PURIFYING THEIR HEARTS BY FAITH.” Acts 15:7 to 9.​

Up to that time it was unlawful for the Jews to keep company with Gentiles. Acts 10:28. Some years later Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles, wrote:

“FOR THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE JEW AND THE GREEK: FOR THE SAME LORD OVER ALL IS RICH UNTO ALL THAT CALL UPON HIM.” Romans 10:12.​

Then he added:

“BUT I SAY, DID NOT ISRAEL KNOW? FIRST MOSES SAITH, I WILL PROVOKE YOU TO JEALOUSY BY THEM THAT ARE NO PEOPLE, AND BY A FOOLISH NATION I WILL ANGER YOU.” Romans 10:19.​

“FOR IF THOU WERT CUT OUT OF THE OLIVE TREE WHICH IS WILD BY NATURE, AND WERT GRAFFED CONTRARY TO NATURE INTO A GOOD OLIVE TREE; HOW MUCH MORE SHALL THESE, WHICH BE THE NATURAL BRANCHES, BE GRAFFED INTO THEIR OWN OLIVE TREE.” Romans 11:24.​

Then later on he wrote:

“THAT AT THAT TIME YE WERE WITHOUT CHRIST, BEING ALIENS FROM THE COMMONWEALTH OF ISRAEL, AND STRANGERS FROM THE COVENANTS OF PROMISE, HAVING NO HOPE, AND WITHOUT GOD IN THE WORLD.”​

“AND CAME AND PREACHED PEACE TO YOU WHICH WERE AFAR OFF, AND TO THEM THAT WERE NIGH.” Ephesians 2:12 and 17.​

From these Scriptures we learn that there had been a difference between Israel and the Gentiles. The Gentiles had been “no people”, “a foolish nation”. Israel was the People of God; His chosen nation. Gentiles were the wild tree; Israel the natural branches. Gentiles were afar off. Israel was nigh. Gentiles had been aliens from the commonwealth of Israel; strangers from the covenants of promise. Concerning Israel, the Scriptures declare:

“WHO ARE ISRAELITES; TO WHOM PERTAINETH THE ADOPTION, AND THE GLORY, AND THE COVENANTS, AND THE GIVING OF THE LAW, AND THE SERVICE OF GOD, AND THE PROMISES; WHOSE ARE THE FATHERS, AND OF WHOM AS CONCERNING THE FLESH CHRIST CAME, WHO IS OVER ALL, GOD BLESSED FOREVER.. AMEN.” Romans 9:4 and 5.​

“YE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE PROPHETS, AND OF THE COVENANT WHICH GOD MADE WITH OUR FATHERS, SAYING UNTO ABRAHAM, AND IN THY SEED SHALL ALL THE KINDREDS OF THE EARTH BE BLESSED.” Acts 3:25.​

In Romans 2:14 we read, “The Gentiles which have not the law.”

Thus we see that there was a difference between Israel and the Gentiles. While the Lord Jesus was on earth He called Israel “sheep” and “children”. He called Gentiles “dogs”. Matthew 15:21 to 27. There is a great difference between children and dogs. But about 25 years later God declared there was no difference.

While on earth the Lord Jesus said to the twelve apostles, “go not in the way of the Gentiles.” Matthew 10:5. Some years later the same Lord Jesus said to Paul, “I will send thee far hence to the Gentiles.” Acts 22:21. Test the things that differ.

Unto the Twelve was committed the gospel of the circumcision for the circumcision. Unto Paul was committed the gospel of the uncircumcision for the uncircumcision. Galatians 2:7 to 9. Test the things that differ.

“The law having a shadow of good things to come.” Hebrews 10:1. There is a difference between the shadow and good things to come. Test the things that differ. Israel was judged with respect to meats and drinks and holy days and the sabbath. Exodus 20:1 to 12. Hebrews 9:10. The members of Christ’s Body are not to be judged with respect to any kind of religious ordinances or special days. Colossians 2:13 to 17. Test the things that differ.

The New Covenant Church of Hebrews 2:12 and Hebrews 12:23 was mentioned by Israel’s prophets. Psalms 22:22. The Church, which is the Body of Christ, of Ephesians 1:19 to 22; Ephesians 3:6 to 9, and Colossians 1:24 to 28, was not mentioned by Israel’s prophets. Test the things that differ.

The sufferings and glory of Christ were foretold by Israel’s prophets. I Peter 1:12. The present ministry of Christ, as Head of the Church which is His Body, and Christ in the Gentiles the hope of glory, was a mystery (secret) not made known to Israel’s prophets. Ephesians 3:8 and 9. Colossians 1:25 to 27. Test the things that differ.

The Son of man is coming to Israel with His holy angels, in the clouds, with power and great glory. Luke 21:27 to 33. The members of the Body of Christ are to be called on high to appear with Christ in glory. Philippians, 3:11 to 21. Colossians 3:4. Test the things that differ. While Christ was on earth in the midst of Israel, and during the “Acts” period, while Israel’s temple in Jerusalem stood, and that Nation remained in their land; while God’s order was to the Jew first, there was a program of signs, visions, miracles, angelic visitations, healings, death judgments and religious ceremonies; but after Paul declared God’s judgment upon Israel, in Acts 28:25 to 28, about 63 A.D., there was a new order, ushering in the signless age of grace. I Timothy 5:23; II Timothy 4:20; Philippians 2:2. Is God’s program for today one of grace mixed with signs and religion, or a “signless” age of pure grace and no religion? Test the things that differ.

Pastor J.C. O'Hair

Israel

BANNED
Test the things that differ. While Christ was on earth in the midst of Israel, and during the “Acts” period, while Israel’s temple in Jerusalem stood, and that Nation remained in their land; while God’s order was to the Jew first, there was a program of signs, visions, miracles, angelic visitations, healings, death judgments and religious ceremonies; but after Paul declared God’s judgment upon Israel, in Acts 28:25 to 28, about 63 A.D., there was a new order, ushering in the signless age of grace. I Timothy 5:23; II Timothy 4:20; Philippians 2:2. Is God’s program for today one of grace mixed with signs and religion, or a “signless” age of pure grace and no religion? Test the things that differ.

Test the things that differ.

Indeed.

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
PROPHECY: God’s program set forth in the Gospels and early Acts concerned a kingdom prepared “from the foundation of the world” (Matt. 25:34). That plan was something “which God hath spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began” (Acts 3:21).

MYSTERY: But God’s program set forth by the Apostle Paul was a “mystery which was kept secret since the world began” (Rom. 16:25). This plan was a “mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God” (Eph. 3:9). It presents a people chosen “before the foundation of the world” (Eph. 1:4).

SAVED WITH WORKS: When asked what one must do to escape God’s coming wrath, John the Baptist told people to share, be honest, kind, and content with one’s wages (Luke 3:6-14). When asked what one must “do to inherit eternal life,” Christ on earth told the young ruler that he must keep the commandments and “sell all... and distribute unto the poor” (Luke 18:18-24).

SAVED BY FAITH ALONE: What did the Apostle Paul reply when asked by the jailer at Philippi, “what must I do to be saved?” “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved” (Acts 16:30,31). In salvation, grace and works don’t mix (Rom. 11:6). Salvation is by grace through faith, “the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast” (Eph. 2:8,9).

WATER BAPTISM for salvation was practiced in the Gospels and early Acts. John the Baptist came “preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins” (Luke 3:3). The resurrected Lord Jesus reaffirmed the necessity of water baptism to salvation when He commissioned the apostles saying, “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved” (Mark 16:16). Spirit-filled Peter at Pentecost repeated the same requirement to “all the house of Israel.” “Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins” (Acts 2:36-38).

SPIRIT BAPTISM alone puts the believer in Christ for salvation today. Does not God’s Word through Paul’s pen clearly say that “by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body”—the Body or Church of Christ? (I Cor. 12:13). And in a passage where everything is spiritual are we not told that there remains only “one baptism” for today? (Eph. 4:3-6). That one is clearly Spirit baptism.

ANSWERED PRAYER was guaranteed by Jesus Christ in the Gospels. To His disciples He promised “every one that asketh receiveth” (Matt. 7:8). “And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive” (Matt. 21:22). “And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do....If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it” (John 14:13,14).

UNANSWERED PRAYER is seen in the Apostle Paul’s life. Concerning his “thorn in the flesh” Paul wrote, “For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee...” (II Cor. 12:8,9). God’s Word further tells us that “we know not what we should pray for as we ought” (Rom. 8:26). And that God “is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think” (Eph. 3:20). Would you rather have whatsoever you ask, or exceeding abundantly above all that you ask or even think?

ALL HEALED: While on earth Jesus Christ healed all who came to Him and sent His disciples to do likewise (Matt. 10:8; 15:30,31). After His resurrection He said His followers were to “lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover” (Mark 16:18). After Pentecost all the sick who came to the apostles “were healed every one” even by Peter’s shadow (Acts 5:15,16). Later “God wrought special miracles” through the Apostle Paul, even healing at a distance by handkerchiefs (Acts 19:11,12).

MANY UNHEALED: But later Paul himself remains unhealed though he prayed to be healed (II Cor. 12:7-10). Paul tells Timothy to take a little wine as medicine for his stomach because he’s often ill (I Tim. 5:23). Another co-worker is left behind sick by Paul (II Tim. 4:20). Paul clearly states that the whole creation now has continuing pain, including even believers who “have the firstfruits of the Spirit”—all together wait for the future redemption of the physical body (Rom. 8:22,23).

FORGIVE FIRST was the requirement for forgiveness in the Gospels. After the Lord’s Prayer, Christ explained, “For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not...neither will your Father forgive your trespasses” (Matt. 6:12-15). When Peter asked how often to forgive, the Lord told of someone who did not, and incurred wrath and torment. Christ said this would likewise happen to all who did not forgive from the heart (Matt. 18:21-35). God’s people were to forgive others in order to be forgiven by God.

FORGIVE AFTER being forgiven is the rule given by the Apostle Paul. Believers are commanded to be “forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you” (Eph. 4:32). God already has “forgiven you all trespasses” (Col. 2:13). Therefore Christians are to be “forgiving one another...even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye” (Col. 3:13). Believers today are to forgive others just as God has already forgiven them

SELL ALL was God’s program in the Gospels and early Acts. No personal provision was to be made (Matt. 10:9,10). Christ’s disciples were commanded to “sell that ye have” (Luke 12:33). The same was demanded of the ruler who asked how he could inherit eternal life (Mark 10:21; Luke 18:22). This same program ruled in early Acts when believers “had all things common and sold their possessions” (Acts 2:44,45; 4:34). But by Acts 11:29 those who had sold all needed relief. They needed material help through the rest of the New Testament (Rom. 15:26, et al.).

PERSONAL PROVISION is urged by the Apostle Paul. The believer is exhorted to provide for himself and his own family, else he “is worse than an infidel” (I Tim. 5:8). It is assumed there will be rich believers. Such are charged not to trust in their wealth but be willing to share (I Tim. 6:17-19). God’s rule for giving today is voluntary, “Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not...of necessity” (II Cor. 9:7).

COMING TO EARTH: Throughout the Old Testament God’s people looked for the Lord to come and “stand at the latter day upon the earth” (Job 19:25; Zech. 14:4). In the Gospels and early Acts this same hope was in view—that Jesus Christ would come back to earth and set all in order (Matt. 24; 25; Luke 18:8; Acts 1:11; 3:20). And the hope after the future horrors of the Book of Revelation is the Lord’s return to smite and rule the nations of the earth (Rev. 19:11-16).

COMING IN THE AIR: But the Apostle Paul’s letters present the Body of Christ with a heavenly hope. All believers during this present age “shall be caught up [raptured] together...to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord” (I Thes. 4:17). Moreover believers today are told they have a heavenly citizenship (Phil. 3:20; Eph. 2:6). They are blessed “with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ” (Eph. 1:3).

MANY MEATS FORBIDDEN: During other ages God limited the diet of His people. At Creation, God commanded men to be vegetarian (Gen. 1:29,30). After Noah’s Flood people were told, “Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.” But living flesh and blood were not to be eaten (Gen. 9:3,4). Later on the Jewish people through Moses were forbidden to eat various animals. For example, “the swine [pig]...is unclean to you; of their flesh shall ye not eat, and... not touch” (Lev. 11:1-8).

ALL FOOD ALLOWED: God’s Word through the pen of the Apostle Paul tells believers they may eat anything. “For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the Word of God and prayer.” It is a latter times false doctrine to command “to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received...of them which believe and know the truth” (I Tim. 4:1-5).

CHRIST CAME FOR ISRAEL: Before Jesus’ conception, Mary was told He would be given “the throne of His father David” and that “He shall reign over the house of Jacob forever” (Luke 1:32,33). During His earthly ministry Christ declared, “I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel” (Matt. 15:24). From Pentecost, Peter repeatedly reaffirmed this by preaching only to “Ye men of Israel,” to “all the house/People of Israel” (Acts 2:22,36; 3:12; 4:10). Peter further declared that God exalted Christ “for to give repentance to Israel” (Acts 5:31). And Paul says “that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision [Jews]” (Rom. 15:8).

CHRIST CAME FOR ALLl: The Apostle Paul tells us “there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon Him” (Rom. 10:12). “God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself, not imputing [charging] their trespasses [sins] unto them” (II Cor. 5:19). Paul further declares that in Christ Jesus “there is neither Jew nor Greek” (Gal. 3:28; Col. 3:11).

A GOSPEL WITHOUT CHRIST'S DEATH was preached during Christ’s earthly ministry. Jesus Christ and the Twelve “went throughout every city and village” of Israel “preaching the gospel” of the kingdom of God (Luke 8:1; 9:2,6). After over two more years of gospel preaching, Christ told those same Twelve that He would soon be delivered to those who would torture “and put Him to death: and the third day He shall rise again.” Yet “they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken” (Luke 9:43-45; 18:31-34).

THE GOSPEL IS CHRIST'S DEATH plus His burial and resurrection according to the Apostle Paul. He declares “the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; by which also we are saved.” The Gospel Paul received and delivered is “that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures” (I Cor. 15:1-4).

TEST THE THINGS THAT DIFFER

LAW AND GRACE

PROPHECY AND MYSTERY

TO THE JEW FIRST and NO DIFFERENCE

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
These things serve well. Not because I say so, not because I choose so, but I am being persuaded one touch of the Lord's desire becomes in a man all that is of most dire necessity.

God desires mercy...and man must have it. It is good this working...for it works. To be touched by the Lord's desire...though it burns...and burns.

You help me greatly. To see a delight. And enjoy a precious restriction of which I only saw in part. To avoid frustration's fury a man might eventually learn the fruitlessness of seeking any place of standing to leverage what might appear a space between the Father and the Son...too seek, as it were...where One ends and the other begins.

How the man's vain seeking of stature if this can be found, explained, demonstrated as understood is a great temptation, and there was one who sought the (imagined) chink, that vainly seeming atom's breadth between...that he might separate. And himself stand.

But, it is the place of is not, for it "is not". And lured into its seeking he grasped his assignment himself to the is not. He thought what appeared his success in the garden...was an eternal thing. And by such seeming success, could not resist further display. Man...for his conquer, always, irrefutably, eternally. He was played in his playing. He could not see the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. He is never, nor has been, able to apprehend Him.

The already total investment of God into what is His own in His making. Man, is for God.

I find no place to resist you in Christ nor be against you. And if God grant me any place of admonishing, may it be both health to you and myself, no less. That I be no less admonished.

The place of seeming leverage applies no less to Paul and Jesus Christ. And all of the Lord's own.

I say, and not the Lord... that the wholesome laughter I hear at a man like myself...who would seek a place to be any help to any man (the Devil does not imagine himself evil, one bit) in knowing God, by finding that place between Jesus Christ and his own where I may illuminate, I may stand to "help" bring together, I may be...at all...to pull Christ closer...

well...

What can I do but laugh at such a man as myself who gets a taste, a touch, the merest whiff of the "is not" and jumps back as though snake bit...and finds grace there for the healing?

You can easily mistake me for my many mistakes that I cannot deny. I have made that far too easy for any to not be forgiven. And mistake that I do not have any love at all for the work of Christ in and through our brother Paul...and his teachings.

But just as I have been reproved of elevating to the end of elevating myself, and even found departing from those very doctrines of which I have made such a display of appreciation...I am come to a place, (which for better or worse only God knows) that I cannot deny.

Paul brought many things forth. But it is Paul himself, no less than you, nor more (in your own bringing) that is the gift.

And so is each and every member, with Jesus Christ, Himself the Head. I have sought to be among those who might "need me"...only to find the One in whom my heart delights...where He alone is recognized as the necessary One...to be seen in each. It has been His desire in such great patience that I learn this.

And His desire becomes for me burning necessity. And it does burn.

Last edited:

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
MANY BAPTISMS were practiced through most of the Bible. The Old Testament religious system required “divers washings [various baptisms, in the original Greek language]” (Heb. 9:1,10). The Jewish religion of Christ’s time held to the “washing [baptism, in the Greek text]” of many things (Mark 7:4,8). When John the Baptist came to “baptize...with water,” he also spoke of Holy Ghost and fire baptisms (Matt. 3:11). Both Jesus and Peter at Pentecost taught water baptism as necessary to “be saved”—“for the remission of sins” (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38). Later Peter water baptized Cornelius obviously after his salvation (Acts 10:43-48). Death and risking martyrdom are also called baptisms (Luke 12:50; I Cor. 15:29). Christendom today practices many different baptisms.

ONE BAPTISM” alone is now God’s rule (Eph. 4:5). That one baptism is a spiritual one “for by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body” (I Cor. 12:13). The Apostle Paul also calls this baptism “the operation of God” (Col. 2:12). This one baptism happens the moment a person trusts Christ after hearing the gospel of salvation (Eph. 1:12,13).

GOD’S SPIRIT COULD LEAVE believers in other ages. “The Spirit of God came upon” men for specific tasks. So was it with careless Samson and King Saul (Judges 14:6,19; I Sam. 11:6). God’s Spirit also came upon godly men such as Moses and King David for their appointed work (Num. 11:17,29; I Sam. 16:13). The Spirit came upon Jesus Christ when He began His earthly ministry (Mark 1:10). But “the Spirit of the Lord departed from” such as Samson and Saul (Judges 16:20; I Sam. 16:14). Even David begged God, “take not Thy Holy Spirit from me” (Psa. 51:11).

GOD’S SPIRIT STAYS in believers today from salvation onward. When someone trusts Christ as Savior he is “sealed with that Holy Spirit” (Eph. 1:13). Everyone who is truly saved possesses the Holy Spirit, for God’s Word declares “Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His” (Rom. 8:9). By “the Holy Spirit of God... ye are sealed unto the day of redemption” (Eph. 4:30).

PETER'S AUTHORITY: While on earth, Christ gave to Peter “the keys of the kingdom of heaven.” Peter’s power included “whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven” (Matt. 16:16-19). In early Acts, Peter exercised this authority. Peter led in replacing Judas, explaining Pentecost, stating salvation, condemning deceivers, and receiving Gentiles (Acts 1:15ff; 2:14ff,37,38; 5:3ff; 15:7-11).

PAUL'S AUTHORITY: From heaven, the Lord later “appeared unto” Paul (Acts 26:15-19). Paul received his message “by the revelation of Jesus Christ” (Gal. 1:11,12; Eph. 3:1-3). Paul often stressed his special authority. He magnified his office as “the apostle of the Gentiles” (Rom. 11:13). Paul wrote that he “should not be ashamed” to “boast somewhat more of our authority” (II Cor. 10:8). Believers are repeatedly commanded to follow Paul as he followed Christ (I Cor. 11:1; Phil. 4:9; et al). Then we read that Paul “withstood” and “blamed” Peter (Gal. 2:11ff). Peter (Cephas) saw that Paul had authority “unto the heathen” and “wisdom...hard to be understood” (Gal. 2:9; II Pet. 3:15-17).

JEWISH CHURCH: Israel under Moses was called “the church in the wilderness” (Acts 7:37,38). To “all ye the seed of Israel” the Lord says, “In the midst of the congregation will I praise thee” (Psa. 22:22,23). Hebrews quotes that Psalm “saying...in the midst of the church [congregation=church]” (Heb. 2:12). Christ and His apostles were “not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel” (Matt. 10:5,6; 15:24). His Jewish disciples are called a “church” in contrast to “an heathen” or Gentile (Matt. 18:17). At Pentecost, Peter spoke only to “the house of Israel” and “the Lord added to the church” which already existed (Acts 2:36,47). Peter said that “all the prophets... foretold these days” (Acts 3:24).

BODY CHURCH: The Apostle Paul alone wrote of “the church, which is His [Christ’s] body” (Eph. 1:22,23). In God’s present church “there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek,” “there is neither Jew nor Greek...for ye are all one in Christ” (Rom. 10:12; Gal. 3:28). This Body Church was “the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations” (Col. 1:24-27; Eph. 3:4-6).

JESUS”: The Gospels use this single name hundreds of times to record events during Christ’s time on earth. Before His birth it was written, “thou shalt call His name JESUS,” the name linked to His humiliation to “save His people from their sins” (Matt. 1:21). Only unbelievers, enemies, and demons addressed Him as simply “Jesus” (e.g., John 6:42; 18:5; Luke 4:33,34). His disciples never spoke to Him without some title of reverence (John 13:13).

LORD JESUS CHRIST” is the Apostle Paul’s usual title for Him. Paul used it often, especially in beginning all his letters. He prayed, “That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified...” (II Thes. 1:12). Instead of “Jesus took bread” at the Lord’s Supper (Mark 14:22), “the Lord Jesus...took bread” (I Cor. 11:23). The crucifixion now involves not “Jesus” (John 19:23), but “the Lord of glory” (I Cor. 2:8). Both salvation and the Holy Spirit require calling Him “Lord” (Rom. 10:9; I Cor. 12:3). This change is clearly stated: “though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we Him no more” (II Cor. 5:16).

CONDITIONAL BLESSINGS if you obey, were formerly promised to God’s people. God has Moses “tell the children of Israel...if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people” (Ex. 19:3,5). Later Israel was told “if thou shalt...do all His commandments...all these blessings shall come on thee...if thou shalt hearken unto...the Lord thy God” (Deut. 28:1,2,13). “But...if thou wilt not hearken...to do all His commandments...that all these curses shall come upon thee” (Deut. 28:15). In the Sermon on the Mount, blessing also depends upon what people do (Matt. 5:1-9; 6:14,15).

UNCONDITIONAL BLESSINGS belong to all true Christians today. The Apostle Paul declares that “God...hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ” (Eph. 1:3). Even unspiritual believers are told “all things are yours” (I Cor. 3:1,21,22). Now believers “are the children of God: And...heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ” (Rom. 8:16,17). “And ye are complete in Him” (Col. 2:10).

the last words of the Apostle Peter, 2 PETER 3:15-18: "And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness. But GROW IN GRACE, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen."

Israel

BANNED
God forbid I seek to use Paul's beautiful humility against him to diminish him, anymore than I seek to exalt him in his beautiful boldness.

Each man is made able by God through Christ to giving answer for himself.

I am persuaded there is no pleasure to be found in the Spirit of Christ by using any form of the exchange between Paul and Peter in regards to the brothers having come from Jerusalem, to establish in any way, Paul's authority over Peter.

Or that any acknowledgment by Peter of Paul's authority could be any cause for esteeming Peter the less.

These things took place surely, but might we not benefit from the Spirit's speaking in such matters as to what may be wrongly inferred? That same Spirit by which, in such humility Paul was clothed to declare of himself:

For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

There is a reason events and things written are often taken advantage of to serve our own theologies (I must hear myself) that must be disclosed to us.

If you truly do hold that God from Heaven is silent, that the Lord neither speaks or only sups in silence with His own, nor as He has said:

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

"and will manifest myself to him"

I fear for those who gather around such table, but perhaps not as I ought. It is my heart that must be set to be wrung, and not merely my wordy hands for display.

God forbid I seek to forbid the Spirit's witness by whatever means, known or unknown to me...be they dreams, visions, miracles, plainly heard words...or whatever form God's informing might manifest.

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
THE APOSTLE TO THE GENTILES is declared by the Apostle Paul who is the Apostle to the Gentiles. Romans 11:13 "For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office" Romans 15:16 "That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost." Colossians 1:25-28 "Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus" Ephesians 3:1-3 "For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery" 1 Timothy 2:7 "Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity." 2 Timothy 1:11 "Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles." Galations 1:1 "Paul, an apostle, not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead"

PETER AND THE ELEVEN are the apostles to the Jew. Galations 2:7-9 "But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision (GENTILES) was committed unto me (PAUL) as the gospel of the circumcision (JEW) was unto Peter; For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision (JEW), the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles: And when James, Peter, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. James 1:1 "James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting." Matthew 10:5,6 "These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Last edited: