That neighbor....

Redbow

I had a neighbor once who asked if he could borrow my tools, wrenches, ratchet, etc. I told him no I do not loan tools because loaned out tools have a way of never coming back home. Then he asked a while later to borrow my cooler that was sitting in my boat. I loaned it to him and told him, when you get back from your fishing trip bring my cooler back and put it in my boat. That never happened, he kept my cooler for several days on his front porch. Finally I walked over and got my cooler I wanted to go fishing the next day. I saw the guy a few days later and told him I got my cooler back where it belongs. Now, don't ask me for anything else ever again. He didn't.

Another guy was bad about borrowing my garden rake and my hoe. I always had to go and get them ne never returned anything. One day he borrowed my shovel. After several days of being in his possession I needed my shovel. The guy had loaned my shovel to a friend of his. I told him, I need my shovel, go and get it back and when payday comes go buy you one. He never asked to borrow anything else from me.

I will help anyone in this world if I can when they need help. But I be darned if I will let folks abuse me because I am kind to others. But that kindness runs out pretty quickly with me if others won't do their part with borrowing things. I learned a long time ago borrowing things from people isn't a good idea, if I need something I go and buy it. I will never loan my vehicles, my lawn mower or my boat to anyone.

Last edited:

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I have had the same experiences that Redbow had encountered as well. I have always been a compassionate person BUT It got to the point that when I wanted to use something, it wasn't where it was supposed to be. When I found them, I told the LOW-LIFE pieces of Garbage to NEVER ask me for anything again and to also stay the heck off of my property as my cameras would surely catch them in the act if they did so. Yes, I have a few signs that say.....SMILE, YOU ARE ON CAMERA !!

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I don't have any neighbors like is being mentioned but I will say that there are only 9 houses on my road on a two mile stretch and we all help and look out for one another when needed.

I used to do that same thing but with the problems mentioned above, I just QUIT doing it because some people don't care about themselves must less somebody else that had helped them for 20-30 years.

leroy

If my lawnmower, tractor, weedeater, chainsaw, etc was on the blink and I needed the use of one my neighbors would let me and have let me use theirs and I have did the same, BUT it is always returned promptly after finishing. Again thankful for fine neighbors

Redbow

If my lawnmower, tractor, weedeater, chainsaw, etc was on the blink and I needed the use of one my neighbors would let me and have let me use theirs and I have did the same, BUT it is always returned promptly after finishing. Again thankful for fine neighbors
And I will say that is the way all neighbors should be towards each other but sadly this isn't the case. People will tear your equipment up and bring it back for you to fix which should not be. People soured me a long time ago about borrowing things. I had a neighbor who came and wanted to borrow my old Chevy pickup one day to haul off some old lumber and trash. I told him, I will be glad to haul it off for you but no-one leaves my yard with my pickup I do not loan vehicles. He wasn't pleased with my answer and never had much to do with me after that as long as he lived near us. So be it, and he would not let me haul off his trash and other debris either. That was his choice,not mine.

I will never ask anyone to borrow their vehicles, lawn mower, boat or tractor. If anything is gonna tear up it would be when I borrowed it so I have made it a policy all my life to never borrow a big high dollar item from anyone.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any neighbors like most of y'all. I can see a couple houses from here. Almost everybody in my holler is cousins that I grew up with, except for a couple transplanted yankees that I have no interaction with. My true neighbors, I would give the shirt off my back to, and they would do the same for me.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Loaned my tractor out to my neighbor, he sheared 3 pins on the bush hog, I could hear him over a 1000 yards away what sounded like grinding stumps !!

He text me the other day wanting to borrow it again, text him back, "you break it, you buy it." He never responded. Tractor has less than 300hrs on it.

zedex

Gator Bait
Growing up, we had "that guy" who could fix anything. Usually, my grandfather. He came down from Ohio and would just start fixing, replacing and rebuilding.

Somehow, I became "that guy". Engine replacement, floor coverings, painting, lawn work, brake jobs, ...... just whatever. Part of the reason being that I never borrowed tools, equipment or anything else. If I was doing something and needed a tool or piece of equipment, I'd just go buy it.

As such, people simply expect that everything I have is available for loan or that I am available for free labor, no matter how ridiculous the job. I dont mind helping. I honestly don't mind. But it's when its expected and when my age and abilities are ignored that it's an issue.

I have some of the laziest neighbors you could possibly imagine. Unless its party time.

I rent a ground floor suite. I have upstairs neighbors. We have a communal yard..

I've lived here for 6 years. During this time, I've had 2 upstairs neighbors. The first was a landscaper, current one is a highway flagger.

First one was a heroin addict who never once cut the grass here.

Current one goes running when the mower starts up. He and his wife, their kid, his mother and his brother all live up there. They have 2 dogs. One is huge and heavy and the other is a loud mouth little yappy dog who never shuts up. Last year, I helped build a pen for them in the back yard. The dogs never get put in there. Instead, they wander the gated and fenced backyard. I put up the gate and fence before they moved in.

The back yard is always covered in dog crap. In the summer, the stench is unbearable. They refuse to clean it up. My daughter had a trampoline back there and I took it down. She couldn't use it because just walking to it, there was a very high chance of getting in doggy do.

I stopped taking care of the back yard. I got tired of the stuff all over me while trimming and all over my equipment. I told them why I wont do it anymore. So, they want to use my equipment. Ain't happening. They dont have any equipment of their own so the back yard is unkempt.... for the first time since I lived here. Front and side yards are immaculate and I get compliments constantly.

Upstairs neighbors claim to be allergic to grass, too busy to take care of it, dont have time...... but they are constantly on the go for parties, drinking, getting high.... the guy is always doing stuff on his car to get louder music (rap, of course) and always leaves drink cans and cups everywhere, cigarette butts everywhere, rusty tools , product packaging..... no concept of cleaning up.
And, at 35 years old, cant clear a clog in the tub.... no idea how to do that. He's more into being that race-confused, boom-boom rapping, sideways hat wearing, gangsta wannabe teenage white boy.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
A couple of things. First, I hate asking anybody for help. I just do. But if I have to it is just that, help. I’m right there with them and I’ve got my hands on it. To some people the word help seems to mean getting somebody to do it for them. I am willing to help anybody. But I strongly resent having my kindness abused or being conned or taken advantage of in some way. If you need me, I’ll help you. It’s the Christian thing to do and I won’t go any farther with that part of it. But by the same token, if you are just lazy and the type of person who likes to try and get something for nothing and use me as the instrument of that, I will hurt your feelings bad enough that you won’t come back for round two. There is nothing virtuous about letting somebody crap on you and NOBODY craps on me. And if I’m your friend, I’ll do about anything for you because I’m particular about who I get close with.

zedex

Gator Bait
A couple of things. First, I hate asking anybody for help. I just do. But if I have to it is just that, help. I’m right there with them and I’ve got my hands on it. To some people the word help seems to mean getting somebody to do it for them. I am willing to help anybody. But I strongly resent having my kindness abused or being conned or taken advantage of in some way. If you need me, I’ll help you. It’s the Christian thing to do and I won’t go any farther with that part of it. But by the same token, if you are just lazy and the type of person who likes to try and get something for nothing and use me as the instrument of that, I will hurt your feelings bad enough that you won’t come back for round two. There is nothing virtuous about letting somebody crap on you and NOBODY craps on me. And if I’m your friend, I’ll do about anything for you because I’m particular about who I get close with.

Like yourself, I dont like asking for help. I just dont do it. Theres only one person you can ever count on.... and that's you.
I'd much rather find a way to do things on my own. I dont borrow any tool or equipment. I'd rather be responsible for my own things.

But, for some reason, lots of folks think that I have it, so I must loan it out. Some of the things I have arent things an average person would have. Carpet stretcher, for example. Lawn vaccum. 4ft long, 1 inch drive ratchet. Cement mixer. 6 full sections of scaffolding. Indoor scaffolding.... oddball specialty tools that serve a single function.

I have 4 sheds packed full of tools, a lean-to packed full, a storage room full, and the laundry room is packed. I needed it, I ain't borrowing, so I bought it.

I will work 10 times harder and build things that help me, but I refuse to ask anyone for a helping hand. I rely on me and me only

GoldDot40

On the subject of asking for help...I am the Mr Fixit in my family too. I can fix most problems with vehicles, electronics, computers, lawn equipment, appliances, etc. Mother-in-law is widowed, sister-in-law is single, my dad is too old, my brother doesn't have the time, the friends and neighbors just don't have a clue...and then there's MY OWN household to look after. I keep up a lot of houses it seems. I get more rest at my job.

My phone rings several times a week from somebody asking me to look at or fix...something. I do it. I don't mind doing it. I'm usually proud to do it. I rarely ever ask anybody else for help...UNLESS the task is a 2 man job (like moving a couch). It's funny though, any time I've ever needed any kind of help, all these people scatter like roaches when the lights come on.