The Artist's Hands

olcaptain

The Artist’s Hands

The word “artist” brings several thoughts to mind. An artist could be one “whose creative work shows sensitivity and imagination”. But the concept can go even farther than that. I believe that a true artist has a gift that cannot be completely matched or maybe even completely understood by another person.

For instance, if you were to put oil and canvas in my hands you would soon see a mess. But in the hands of Salvador Dali you might soon see a masterpiece such as “The Persistence of Memory”. Why? Because he was an artist!

1-the_persistence_of_memory_-_1931_salvador_dali.jpg

Likewise, if I were to lay flat on my back on a scaffold to paint the ceiling of my church you certainly wouldn’t mistake my work in any form or fashion for Michelangelo’s painting of the Sistine Chapel. Why? Because he too, was an artist!

Finally, if you placed an electric guitar in my hands I could make a bit of noise but in the hands of a gifted artist such as Buddy Guy (who influenced Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix) it would not only be pure music but it would be music with a passion!

So what in the world does art have to do with an Ol Captain’s tale? I thought you’d never ask…………………….

When I first acquired the Carp Shark I knew immediately that she needed some work. The gunnel molding was broken in a couple of places and the boat was out of line…..

02-January13095.jpg

01-January13094.jpg

The ribs were cracked as well and the overall structure of this soon to be famous Carpin vessel was in dire need of some love and creative artful attention.

58-January13069_zps8594f8b3.jpg

I’m no genius but I do know that if you have a lump of clay and you want fine pottery made from it you need to see a Master Potter. So after getting the boat home I immediately took a few pictures of the damage and sent them to Dawson “Bassboy1” Mion on the GON Forum.

If my memory serves me correctly I first met Dawson in the summer of 2011. Cool Dad and I were Carpin on the lower lake up at Carter’s and Dawson came by to sit a spell.

DawsonJune2011.jpg

Now I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I know a keeper when I see one. We sat with Dawson for just one short afternoon. I soon learned that this young man was well read, was an Eagle Scout, and had a passion for metal work. I also sensed that Dawson was a man of character. Not only that but I learned that he had a flare (no pun intended) and a love for working with aluminum. I found out later that his work with aluminum in some circles might even be considered………....art.

After a brief discussion about my newly acquired canoe, Dawson and I soon struck a deal. Within a few days Tim “Cool Dad” Gill, Jim “Hatman” Hatter and I delivered the Carp Shark to Dawson’s shop in Cartersville, Ga.

10-January13103.jpg

08-January13101.jpg

04-January13097.jpg

09-January13102.jpg

After placing the canoe on the floor there was ample time to talk about ideas and adventures to come while leaning on another one of Dawson’s projects.

16-January13109.jpg

After chatting a while we left the boat with Dawson and made our way back home to the Captain’s Quarters. Being mid winter we were in no real hurry to get the boat finished but in less than two weeks I received a text from Dawson that said…”Your boat is ready!” My heart leapt with excitement and anticipation! After a phone call we decided to come to Cartersville today to view and pick up the finished product.

Cool Dad, Max and I met Dawson at his FishOn Fabrications Shop promptly at 2:00PM. It was then that Dawson unveiled the repairs on the Carp Shark. Things that were once wobbly and crooked were now straight, true and secure!!

25-January24025.jpg

Not only had Dawson welded the gunnel fractures and the cracked ribs but he had also added a new thwart with a vertical support as well!!

27-January24027.jpg

22-January24022.jpg

18-January24018.jpg

Basically what Dawson did in a matter of days was transform a 19 year old craft into a functional thing of beauty!!

24-January24024.jpg

We were so excited that even though it was 50 degrees we went immediately to Lake Acworth to give her a go! Cool Dad grabbed the bow, Max grabbed the box and the Ol Captain grabbed the paddle!!

32-January24032.jpg

29-January24029.jpg

26-January24026.jpg

As I slowly eased my 60 year old 6'7" 290 lb + frame into the Carp Shark a metamorphosis took place. Within minutes I was 15 years old again!!!

30-January24030.jpg

Now folks, if I had a metal boat that needed alterations or some special something fixed I know what I’d do. I’d contact Dawson Mion at 770-608-3003 . Who knows? It might just knock 45 years off your life!!

08-January24008.jpg

Art is a wonderful thing. If an artist could be one “whose creative work shows sensitivity and imagination” I hope in the days ahead that you might even see a glimpse of art as your read about the tales and antics of the Ol Captain and the Crew. Until then, have a blessed winter and come see us when you can!

09-January24009.jpg

FMBear

Excellent looking work for sure! I've already sent Dawson's contact info to 2 buddies that have been looking for someone to do some aluminum work for them.

Maximus looks like a true voyager of the seas!

olcaptain

Excellent looking work for sure! I've already sent Dawson's contact info to 2 buddies that have been looking for someone to do some aluminum work for them.

Maximus looks like a true voyager of the seas!

Max was a little overwhelmed today. The life jacket is new to him and it was a bit cool. He will improve with every trip!!

Worley

Boat

Captain everything I read of yours make me smile...I could just hear your distinct voice as I read the story...We gonna hook up this year one day and trade some stories...Fine looking vessel there too budy.:cool:

olcaptain

Captain everything I read of yours make me smile...I could just hear your distinct voice as I read the story...We gonna hook up this year one day and trade some stories...Fine looking vessel there too budy.:cool:

We will get together for sure! We may even discuss the true Potter and the clay :)

The Foreigner

Horace - that is truly sea worthy if it can get you and cool dad in it.

Dawson's work is great, and he a great guy. Also - he's good with a paddle - just ask him!!::ke:::ke:

DANNYP

Ive known Dawson for quite some time through the Allatoonabass forum,,
He was a great kid,,,,

Now he is a fine young man..

CardsFan

Sounds like that meeting was destiny, OlCaptain. One of these days (if I can ever get a weekday off), I'll have to come visit one of your carpin' parties. It's been a very long time since I caught one, but they sure are strong pullers.

Matthew6

Banned thug
I can't wait to see your canoe. You need to get Bigbird out there with you. That will be a sight for sure. :hair:

Pauley

I truly enjoyed that read Captain! Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

suuntov

Good read captain. Thanks for the pics showing the quality welding work...my boat needs some of that in several spots.

Cletus T.

The carp shark is something serious.....I know that many fish will be stuck in that boat......looks like Max enjoyed the ride too!!!!

Awesome story and take on how the boat came about and came to life!!!!

It truly is amazing to me, that how most people can view something as worthless and useless such as a sinking boat but in an ARTIST hands something is created that is priceless!! May God bless you with many wonderful days and memories in the days ahead!! Capt. congrats on a life reborn!!