The book of Enoch.

WaltL1

Maybe what he means is Enoch is mentioned but not the "book" of Enoch.
Doing some really quick research, that ^ seems to be the predominant argument "against."
Yes, Enoch is referenced. No, the specific words the Book of Enoch is not.

Artfuldodger

Doing some really quick research, that ^ seems to be the predominant argument "against."
But at the time of the New Testament or when the New Testament writers quote someone, are they quoting what the others said in actual Cannon? Meaning if Paul says, "back in the day, Isaac prophesied about the destruction of Zion," what exactly was Paul quoting? There were no actual books of the Bible. I guess they were quoting Torah or some other Jewish Bible.
I guess what some folks are saying that since they didn't say "it was said in the writings of Enoch" and instead say "Enoch said" they take this to prove he was alive then or right before then.
Seems kind of a week defense to me.

Artfuldodger

Jude 14-15 It was also about these that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, “See, the Lord is coming with ten thousands of his holy ones,

Doesn't that pretty much show when Enoch lived? Adam — Seth — Enos — Cainan — Mahalaleel — Jared — Enoch.

Jude lived many generations after this. He could not possibly be quoting quotes passed on from one person to the next except by written word. I mean It's possible, just not very likely.

1gr8buildit

I am not surprised that they justify their non recognition by this means. I would say that the two, the book of Enoch and Enoch are Synonymous. By this means, you could then discount any reference to anyone's name used in the NT regarding that said person to be of no value.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
In Mathew Christ rebukes the Sadducees for not knowing “scripture” that angels don’t marry. The reference describing angels as immortal spirits and not given wives is in Enoch.