The dog ATE the car keys - any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldfella1962

Seriously! :( My daughter called from Virginia and said her dog ate her car keys. Her husband is away on a training mission. Her purse Along with her debit cards, ID cards, etc) & important medications are in the car. And, it's a weekend - don't bad things always happen when some of the key players - no pun intended - might not be open? :mad:

Anyway, I told her to call her insurance to see if they pay for cops breaking a window to get into her car, or pay for a locksmith to get into her car. I told her telling the cops that her MENTAL HEALTH medications are in the car would probably be a good motivator to help her out. As for the dog, wait for him to poop out the keys, get surgery at a vet office that is open on weekends? She doesn't have a lot of money in her account.

Regardless, if anyone has any experience in this area, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
How new is the car? Dealership might be able to cut her new keys by the VIN.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Dog probably ain't gonna pass the keys...An X-ray will tell the true tale.

Nowadays, most police departments won't unlock cars unless there's a kid or animal locked inside. Then they just bust a window. Cheaper, liability wise than paint jobs and side/door airbag deployment...

Vet and Locksmith....

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
A vet can probably get the keys fairly easily if they are in the throat or stomach. If they have moved to the intestine it will probably require surgery. The danger is that they might become lodged in throat or intestine where they could cause a perforation and all the bad stuff that goes with that.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
The fire department use to keep wedges and jimmies back in the day.

snooker1

Depending on the vehicle, on star can unlock a vehicle if it is equipped with, Ford has ford-pass which will also unlock the vehicle.

The dog on the other hand if he did eat the keys will probably require surgery.

pjciii

If it is a key fob the battery could be very poisonous to the dog. Break the window and tell insurance company that nothing was taken as far as she can tell to replace window.

oldfella1962

If it is a key fob the battery could be very poisonous to the dog. Break the window and tell insurance company that nothing was taken as far as she can tell to replace window.

Didn't know about the key being poison! Lying to the insurance company is a no-go. Lying in these situations (lying in general) gets you into deeper trouble and ends up being counterproductive.

pjciii

Didn't know about the key being poison! Lying to the insurance company is a no-go. Lying in these situations (lying in general) gets you into deeper trouble and ends up being counterproductive.
I did say if it is a key fob. Point taken on rest.

Hillbilly stalker

If you have AAA, they will get someone to unlock your car door. If not, call a locksmith. They can open it without damage. Small air bladders and rods are used now instead of slim Jim’s. The batteries in the dog are a problem.

oldfella1962

UPDATE! The cops couldn't help her, but the car dealership is open. She's getting the car towed to the dealership to get it unlocked. She's using an uber to get herself & kids to the dealership. The dealership said dogs eat keys all the time. :confused:

I reminded my daughter DO NOT lock your car since the dog still has the keys. Luckily, she has push-button ignition. BTW her insurance doesn't cover the towing to the dealership - not a big deal.

Once she gets the first part of the brushfire put out, she's on to what could be the expensive part: the dog. :( She might have to make a hard decision about the dog depending on available finances, etc. but who knows?

Sidenote I am SO GLAD that I'M OLD and most of these types of dramas are behind me and my wife. We had these "husband on a training mission and all chaos is breaking loose and I have two whining kids" moments and then some!

oldfella1962

A $2 spare key saves a lot of headache. Especially if teenagers or wives are involved. Glad it’s working out. A hidden spare house key is a great ideal also.

You can't just get a 2 dollar copy of her car key made. The dealership has to make (or order) a key and it has to be programmed to the car. Cost me about 400 dollars total (new key and programming) for my 2016 VW Jetta. True though about her house key - I'm going to remind her to get an extra copy (or two) made. Right now, her husband has his copy (he'll be gone for quite some time) and the dog has the other copy. :(

The dealership got her into her car, so she has her medicine now. If not, she would have been OOL. The drug store won't give her an emergency supply without doctor authorization - and it's a weekend so the doctor's office is closed. One of the meds is on the DEA's "controlled substance" list. Drug stores can't get around that. I'm on similar meds, and the DEA is a huge thorn in the side of doctors.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rni

oldfella1962

A plain non electronic key can be used to manually open the door. It won’t start your car but it will open the door.

oh I see! Yes that is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.