The dog ATE the car keys - any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Strangelove

I locked my keys in the trunk of my car about 3hrs away from my home a few years ago while visiting my parents. First car in 20 years, as I had always driven a Jeep Wrangler so locks didn't matter. My cell phone was in the car, and I realized I didn't have anyone's phone number memorized. Luckily I was at a convenience store in a rural area that had a phone and more importantly, a phonebook.

Two locksmiths, six hours and about $300 later, I had a spare key and was driving again.

The first locksmith got me into the car, but the trunk release wouldn't function without the car being on. At least I got to my phone. The second locksmith was able to cut a key by VIN that I was able to use to open the trunk and get the keys. It also starts the car because luckily my car doesn't use chip keys.

My take-aways:
  • Keep a list of important phone numbers in my wallet
  • Keep a spare house and car key in the car
  • If you only have one key for your car, get a second key made immediately

oldfella1962

CRISIS OVER! (y) The dog vomited up the keys! Bits of mucous and whatnot all over the lawn, and at the end of the mucous trail were her KEYS! :) While she was at the dealership she googled "golden retrievers swallowing keys" and apparently most of the time they survive and throw up or poop out the keys. I guess that's the advantage of having a large dog - they can swallow large things and not choke. The keys were on a big plush cat keyring and maybe that's what made the keys look so delicious! :unsure:
So my daughter now has an extra programmed car key and her original keys back of course, and no vet bills.

Sidenote dogs are hilarious in cartoons, TV sitcoms and kid/family movies - not so much in real life though! :(

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Many of these new cars don’t have a key, just a fob.
UPDATE! The cops couldn't help her, but the car dealership is open. She's getting the car towed to the dealership to get it unlocked. She's using an uber to get herself & kids to the dealership. The dealership said dogs eat keys all the time. :confused:

I reminded my daughter DO NOT lock your car since the dog still has the keys. Luckily, she has push-button ignition. BTW her insurance doesn't cover the towing to the dealership - not a big deal.

Once she gets the first part of the brushfire put out, she's on to what could be the expensive part: the dog. :( She might have to make a hard decision about the dog depending on available finances, etc. but who knows?

Sidenote I am SO GLAD that I'M OLD and most of these types of dramas are behind me and my wife. We had these "husband on a training mission and all chaos is breaking loose and I have two whining kids" moments and then some!

If she has push button ignition then the door likely unlocks when the fob is in proximity of the door. Walk the dog to the door, once open, start car and take dog to vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.