The "empty tomb" that all Christianity revolves around? The plot thickens!

oldfella1962

Wow this theory really blows my mind, but here it is: Doctor Bart Ehrman - religious historian or something like that - posits that while researching Roman crucifixion procedures Dr. Ehrman discovered that Jesus would not have had a proper burial in a tomb or otherwise. :oops: If you did something bad enough to be crucified (treasonous crimes most likely) your body would be left on the cross to decompose, as a deterrent to anybody thinking about committing similar crimes. Common criminals wouldn't be crucified. Could Pontious Pilate have been willing or even able to make an exception just for Jesus? Not very likely.
Thus, Jesus body would not be taken anywhere for burial preparation then placed in a tomb. Could it have been stolen off the cross? Again, not likely.

Also "the empty tomb" that signifies that Jesus was resurrected would not be the big "selling point" of anybody trying to spread the word about the divinity of their savior. Showing people an empty tomb would only stir up questions like maybe Jesus body was stolen, or they have the wrong tomb, or his followers are crazy, or whatever. The reason for an empty tomb being Jesus went up to heaven wouldn't make sense or seem believable.

Anyway, research Doctor Bart Ehrman for more details. The guy is calm, rational, and dedicated to finding the facts as best he can.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
funny... all those 3000 plus people 50 days later believed that He had risen from the grave....
Where can we learn more about these 3000+ people and their versions of what they saw?

stringmusic

Wow this theory really blows my mind, but here it is: Doctor Bart Ehrman - religious historian or something like that - posits that while researching Roman crucifixion procedures Dr. Ehrman discovered that Jesus would not have had a proper burial in a tomb or otherwise. :oops: If you did something bad enough to be crucified (treasonous crimes most likely) your body would be left on the cross to decompose, as a deterrent to anybody thinking about committing similar crimes. Common criminals wouldn't be crucified. Could Pontious Pilate have been willing or even able to make an exception just for Jesus? Not very likely.
Thus, Jesus body would not be taken anywhere for burial preparation then placed in a tomb. Could it have been stolen off the cross? Again, not likely.

Also "the empty tomb" that signifies that Jesus was resurrected would not be the big "selling point" of anybody trying to spread the word about the divinity of their savior. Showing people an empty tomb would only stir up questions like maybe Jesus body was stolen, or they have the wrong tomb, or his followers are crazy, or whatever. The reason for an empty tomb being Jesus went up to heaven wouldn't make sense or seem believable.

Anyway, research Doctor Bart Ehrman for more details. The guy is calm, rational, and dedicated to finding the facts as best he can.
It was Jewish law to not let the body of someone who was crucified to hang overnight.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
47 verses where nobody gives their thoughts and astonishment about they saw. Riveting. 3000 people silent about it.
Like I asked earlier, where can we learn more about these people and their versions of what they saw?

Id like to hear from the non Jews who witnessed it, scholars, educated, businessmen, middle class, the poor. Where is their testimony?

oldfella1962

funny... all those 3000 plus people 50 days later believed that He had risen from the grave....

3,000 people? Where do you get that number? :unsure: Regardless, 2,000 years later many millions believe it. Millions of people believe in any number of deities in 2022.

Speaking of believing in a resurrection, Mathew 27 takes it to a whole - nuther - level! (y) When Jesus died on the cross there was an earthquake, and tombs were opened up and saints came alive and went out among the people. :confused: Okay, I get that each of the four gospels differ some, but wouldn't long dead saints coming back to life be kind of a big deal? If there were four different accounts of resurrected saints I could understand that, but only a couple of sentences in only one of the gospels? :confused:

Also wouldn't a significant number of resurrected people be worthy of at least one mention by sources outside the Bible writers?

oldfella1962

47 verses where nobody gives their thoughts and astonishment about they saw. Riveting. 3000 people silent about it.
Like I asked earlier, where can we learn more about these people and their versions of what they saw?

Id like to hear from the non Jews who witnessed it, scholars, educated, businessmen, middle class, the poor. Where is their testimony?

Maybe the accounts of their testimony were thrown out/burned up when the official version of the Bible was compiled! ;)

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Maybe the accounts of their testimony were thrown out/burned up when the official version of the Bible was compiled! ;)
Lots of possibilities. K. I. S. S. Usually wins out.

kmh1031

The Bible account shows different from the comment, “theory” of Dr Ehrman of what happened to Jesus body….

A man, named Joseph from the city of Arimathea, “a rich man” and reputable member of the Sanhedrin, is also present at the execution. (Matthew 27:57)

He is described as “a good and righteous man,” who is “waiting for the Kingdom of God.” In fact, as “a disciple of Jesus but a secret one because of his fear of the Jews,” he did not support the court’s judgment of Jesus. (Luke 23:50; Mark 15:43; John 19:38)

Joseph takes courage and asks Pilate for Jesus’ body. Pilate summons the army officer in charge, who confirms that Jesus is dead and Pilate grants Joseph’s request.

Joseph buys clean, fine linen and takes Jesus’ body down from the stake. He wraps the corpse in the linen in preparation for burial.

Nicodemus, “who had come to Jesus in the night the first time,” helps with the preparation. (John 19:39) He brings about a hundred Roman pounds of a costly mixture of myrrh and aloes.

Jesus’ body is wrapped in bandages containing these spices, according to the Jews’ burial custom.

Joseph owns an unused tomb carved in rock nearby, and Jesus’ body is laid in it. Then a large stone is rolled in front of the tomb.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

A deeper research reveals that ole Bart is just an atheist wanna be with biased research. There’s just as many educated with papers pro Jesus men out there.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
A little goal posts moving contradictory insecurity from the guy that’s dedicated to finding facts with his “not really” right or wrong statements ?

“Ehrman insists that we should not use terms like “heresy”or “orthodoxy” because that implies that somebody is really right and somebody is really wrong, and historians cannot make such judgments. These terms should be avoided because they are “value-laden” Indeed, he says, “the historian has no access…to what is right in the eyes of God”

Old fella you gotta do better than this cat for facts about the Bible.

Reactions: Dub

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

It was just stated recently on here by a non believer that only 12 people could read back then……why write?

On a serious note, the “for Jesus” crowd wasn’t considered “world changing large” It was only a 3 year ministry. Who’d a thunk that Jesus would have had an impact on the works as it unfolded?

Today, who’s writing about the life of the guy standing on the corner with a honk for Jesus sign?

oldfella1962

A little goal posts moving contradictory insecurity from the guy that’s dedicated to finding facts with his “not really” right or wrong statements ?

“Ehrman insists that we should not use terms like “heresy”or “orthodoxy” because that implies that somebody is really right and somebody is really wrong, and historians cannot make such judgments. These terms should be avoided because they are “value-laden” Indeed, he says, “the historian has no access…to what is right in the eyes of God”

Old fella you gotta do better than this cat for facts about the Bible.

Okay this should keep everyone busy for a while! (y)

https://www.debunking-christianity.com/2020/03/rebuffing-and-rejecting-resurrection.html

What I find interesting is the claim that the Romans threw victims of crucifixion into "mass graves". This would contradict Dr. Ehrman's claim of letting the bodies decompose. I WILL RESEARCH ROMAN CRUCIFIXION further! Anyway, the article I linked to has a variety of things that can be further researched.

Roman practices of crucifixion victim body disposal:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...n-and-burial/ABDE509ED99779E09AD59AC274E378A3

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Okay this should keep everyone busy for a while! (y)

https://www.debunking-christianity.com/2020/03/rebuffing-and-rejecting-resurrection.html

What I find interesting is the claim that the Romans threw victims of crucifixion into "mass graves". This would contradict Dr. Ehrman's claim of letting the bodies decompose. I WILL RESEARCH ROMAN CRUCIFIXION further! Anyway, the article I linked to has a variety of things that can be further researched.

Roman practices of crucifixion victim body disposal:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...n-and-burial/ABDE509ED99779E09AD59AC274E378A3
He was hung between two thieves. Next.

“The Romans left criminals on the cross to discourage people from committing similar crimes. The birds and dogs could devour their bodies. When nothing was left, their bones were taken down from the cross and not placed in nice burials, but tossed into places like Golgotha (place of skulls).”

stringmusic

They obviously weren’t silent about it because the gospel spread all over the world from then til today, just because each person there didn’t write down what they saw doesn’t mean they didn’t see and hear. Even if they did you could crank up google and find people like Bart finding some reason or theory to dismiss every one of the writings.

Jesus had just died and resurrected 50 days prior, if what Peter preached to all the people weren’t true it seems it would have been pretty easy to dismiss and we would have never heard about the gospel of Jesus unless we were history professors.

stringmusic

I smell something cooking! Yep, it’s another nothing-burger from the strangely God obsessed athiests!

:rofl:
Yep
A deeper research reveals that ole Bart is just an atheist wanna be with biased research. There’s just as many educated with papers pro Jesus men out there.
Correct. He spends his entire life studying and trying to debunk something he doesn’t believe. Seems strange to me.

oldfella1962

Yep

Correct. He spends his entire life studying and trying to debunk something he doesn’t believe. Seems strange to me.

Maybe history is something he's genuinely interested in, and it pays the bills, just like for many Biblical scholars.

Latest posts