The Makings Of A Diamondback Display

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Found this big rattlesnake on the edge of the road about a mile from the Seminole cabin, still twitching. It was shot while it was coiled up in the road with a bullet hole in the head and another bigger hole about 18 inches down. The asphalt stopped the bullet and it was just under the skin. Skinned out, tacked on a board, and covered with 20 Mule Team Borax to cure. Then it`ll be put on a display board with antiqued furniture tacks to hang in my cabin. 5 and 1/2 feet long, broken off at 10 rattles, heavy snake.

rattler 1.jpgrattler 2.jpgrattler 3.jpgrattler 4.jpgrattler 5.jpgrattler 6.jpg

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Found this big rattlesnake on the edge of the road about a mile from the Seminole cabin, still twitching. It was shot while it was coiled up in the road with a bullet hole in the head and another bigger hole about 18 inches down. The asphalt stopped the bullet and it was just under the skin. Skinned out, tacked on a board, and covered with 20 Mule Team Borax to cure. Then it`ll be put on a display board with antiqued furniture tacks to hang in my cabin. 5 and 1/2 feet long, broken off at 10 rattles, heavy snake.

View attachment 1252300View attachment 1252301View attachment 1252302View attachment 1252303View attachment 1252304View attachment 1252305
qwenty tew?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I got to get me another good one this year for another hat band. I also want to try frying it up and eating.
It’s fine eating. My son killed this one yesterday. 5 ft, big around as a softball. I didn’t have time to clean it so I didn’t ask him to bring it over. Coloring ain’t near as pretty as yours either Nic.

Attachments

• IMG_0925.png
    IMG_0925.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 72

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It’s fine eating. My son killed this one yesterday. 5 ft, big around as a softball. I didn’t have time to clean it so I didn’t ask him to bring it over. Coloring ain’t near as pretty as yours either Nic.

Have any of you ever noticed that when a canebrake starts to go into a defensive stance or feels threatened how it squares its body up like the one in your picture is showing? Every one I`ve ever caught did that same thing. I reckon they`re trying to make themselves look bigger. Pygmies and diamondbacks don`t exhibit this behavior.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Have any of you ever noticed that when a canebrake starts to go into a defensive stance or feels threatened how it squares its body up like the one in your picture is showing? Every one I`ve ever caught did that same thing. I reckon they`re trying to make themselves look bigger. Pygmies and diamondbacks don`t exhibit this behavior.
I was kinda upset that my son killed this one. Them big ole ones don’t bother anybody. They will crawl off and just want to be left alone. Now a 2-3 footer can be full of vinegar but these big ole boys ain’t.

I never noticed that, but I don’t try to catch them either. I generally just leave them that size alone.

Last edited:

dtala

I keep hearing folks say they don't bother anybody. I wish someone had told the five footer that hit me in the calf in 1985 that. And no, I wasn't bothering him, never knew he was there till he hit me. I was turkey hunting in west Alabama.

Gator89

I keep hearing folks say they don't bother anybody. I wish someone had told the five footer that hit me in the calf in 1985 that. And no, I wasn't bothering him, never knew he was there till he hit me. I was turkey hunting in west Alabama.

Is it safe to say, the snake did not go looking for you and it was just bad luck your worlds collided?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Killed two big ones around the yard. Way too close for the kids and dogs.

The skins turned out nice.

Fine string of rattles on that canebrake. Looks like 16 or 17.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.

View attachment 1252300View attachment 1252301View attachment 1252302View attachment 1252303View attachment 1252304View attachment 1252305

Curious questions...
I would assume that the borax is on top of an upside down skin?
Is there any additional borax underneath the skin between it and the board?
Boric acide is the active ingredient in the borax. Would it be feasible or better to use powdered board acid?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Curious questions...
I would assume that the borax is on top of an upside down skin?
Is there any additional borax underneath the skin between it and the board?
Boric acide is the active ingredient in the borax. Would it be feasible or better to use powdered board acid?

No borax between the skin and board. I tack the skin down meat side up, scrap what little fat is on the belly scales off, the pour the borax to it and rub it in good. I`m not sure what powdered board acid is?

If I was to use this skin for a belt, rifle sling, or any other use where it would flex, after a couple of days drying with the borax, I would remove all the borax, keep it tacked down, and paint it with a 50-50 mix of denatured alcohol and glycerine. Let it dry, then paint it again. When it dries that second time, you can remove it and use the skin. I`ve used this method for over 50 years with good results. Still got a hatband made in the late 70`s that`s still good.

Since this one is going on a board as a display, as soon as it is dry, I will remove the borax, lift it off the drying board, and put it on a decorative board with antiqued furniture tacks.

hatband.jpgold band.jpg