Things to do with grits? Recipes?

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
My first foray into this part of the thread... which is one of my favorites! I usually just lurk and slobber over all the pictures but been wanting to jump in for a while...

I love me some grits. My Mama said grits was the first solid food I ever eat when they was weaning me and I reckon they stuck with me. Love them for breakfast, with fish, with quail, with bacon/sausage in them, with red-eye gravy poured on them, even like them little mixed up bowls they used to sell at the Krystals. I got this recipe from a friend of ours a while back and cooked it up just before Christmas and made me a half a mess of it last week, (it makes a heap) and I'm telling you I can eat me a whole wash tub full of it. (sorry I eat it all up before I made y'all a picture... it ain't nothing real purty to look at anyhow, will get one next time)

Grits n' Greens

2 cups regular grits - 1 (16 oz ) bag collard greens ( frozen ) - 8 cups chicken broth (divided 6 & 2 ) - 2 cups whipping cream - 1/2 cup butter - 3 cups shredded Parmesan Cheese (or 2 if you really like cheese) - 2 lbs bacon.

Lightly grease 13 x 9 dish. In boiler, bring cream & 6 cups of broth to boil, add grits. bring to boil, reduce heat & cook for 20 min. on simmer, stirring occasionally, Add milk if needed. Consistency should resemble watery oatmeal. Fry bacon & crumble. Cook collards in remaining 2 cups broth for 10 min. Drain & let dry a little. Season greens to taste. Add butter & cheese to grits. Stir till melted. Stir in collards. Put in baking dish. Bake at 350 for 25-30 min. till lightly brown. Add bacon on top the last 10 min.

Notes: I used old timey stone ground grits. The gal what give me the recipe said she has used some 'seasoned' collards in a can... I bought some Mrs. Holmes brand (16 oz. can for a half recipe) from the Piggly Wiggly this last time (drained the juice off them) and they was still pretty good. It takes a while to cook all that bacon, so kinda keep that in mind and maybe pull out your extra cast iron skillet for this one?

I ain't sure exactly what to tell ya'll to eat this with... or even what wine goes with it? We eat it with some deer backstraps off the grill the first time and then fried up some country ham the next. I eat a great big bait of what was leftover the next day for lunch with nothing but a glass of buttermilk...

I hope some of y'all give it a try and holler back with some ideas. Any other grit recipes would be greatly appreciated... I'm open to anything out there, well 'cept folks what put sugar on their grits. I just never trusted them types? I hear they's a feller on here goes by the name of Bitteroot who's bad about sweetening up grits and all? I ain't one to spread a rumor but I've heard that from some pretty reliable sources?

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
Let me add... be careful while cooking and don't start 'tasting' the grits too much while everything else is cooking. Them grits with the broth, cream and cheese and all in them are pretty good all by themselves and I bout run a little short this last time.

Reactions: Dub

specialk

someone posted grilled grits here before. I tried it. make the grits like you prefer. pour into a pie pan. refrigerate them till they set up. take out and cut into pieces and lay on grill. brush w/ melted butter while flipping.....they were good to me but my family didn't like them too much....

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
don't worry Dwight, were all family here...

Yeah, but I got a heap of women probably out still a hunting for me?

Thanks for getting into the spirit with me and posting me a recipe to try?

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
Meh.... Dwight shmight.....your numba still 7704448111?

facepalm:

You trying to get me divorced? You still live up there on the right past the old iron bridge a next to the falling down barn?

Hornet22

ROMEO
someone posted grilled grits here before. I tried it. make the grits like you prefer. pour into a pie pan. refrigerate them till they set up. take out and cut into pieces and lay on grill. brush w/ melted butter while flipping.....they were good to me but my family didn't like them too much....

I tried to make them thangs too. Went inside to fix a fresh one, when I came back, they had all done turned back into grits an fell in the fire:banginghe

:cheers:

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
I tried to make them thangs too. Went inside to fix a fresh one, when I came back, they had all done turned back into grits an fell in the fire:banginghe

:cheers:

Was they fit to eat?

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
Add a can of rotel tomatoes to cheese grits and sometimes a little garlic

Sounds good... I'm going to do the grits n' greens tomorrow and take me a picture where I can post it on here and be 'official'. Hopefully somebody will toss out some more grit concoctions?

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
Indeed we are!

David

I ain't ever thanked you but I done your dry rub steak thing and ain't never going to do them any other way! So thank you bunches for that tip!

mrowland96

If this was Facebook...you'd probably have over a Million Likes...LOL...All aside Grits are Great !!! Especially with Shrimp and some Andouille Sausage...don't understand why those Yankees don't like'em

WOODSWIZE

I think I could eat grits with anything.

twtabb

A Fella could hurt his self on some shrimp and grits. We did bay scallops a grits this summer. Better wear some strechy pants. Them things will swell up.