Think it will come up?

ChattBuck

Wanted to take advantage of the upcoming week of rain and got a field tilled, fertilized, limed, along with brassicas and winter wheat broadcast spread this weekend. But torrential downpours prevented me from getting the planted sections drug to cover the seed. Field still too wet to drag past two days and we're getting over an inch of rain today.

Am I screwed or do you think I'll get some good germination?

Last edited:

Lilly001

I think you may have a little less coverage due to some of the seed being uncovered.
But that much rain probably covered a lot of it by washing dirt over it.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
You are going to be fine .... now, just sight in your rifle and just imagine that big buck coming to your plot, on opening day. That stuff will germinate in the back of a pickup truck.

Only negative would be if you have areas that get "washed away" and if you get that, just broadcast more seed over top.

Canuck5

If "some" of the brassica's get driven too deep to germinate, you can always broadcast a little more, but you will have brassica's germinate and the wheat shouldn't be a problem.

Canuck5

And I think I would lime, fertilize, broadcast wheat, drag, then broadcast small seeds next time.

furtaker

I top sowed a small plot with wheat right before this rain got here and I have a bunch of bare spots and clumped up seed now. It's already sprouting though.

I'm going to spread over it again when this heavy stuff gets out of here. This much rain is rough on plots.

ChattBuck

And I think I would lime, fertilize, broadcast wheat, drag, then broadcast small seeds next time.

As always, thanks for the advice! They ignored all the brassicas last year but hoping they'll grow to like it this year.

ChattBuck

They've done really well with the rain

1st pic is the brassicas and the second is the wheat which just exploded in the past few days.

I top sowed this on freshly tilled ground 7 days prior to the pics.

I've left some corn standing for the deer and doing this winter plot in the lanes between the corn that's remaining.

Attachments

• Brassicas2021.1.jpg
    Brassicas2021.1.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Wheat2021.1.jpg
    Wheat2021.1.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 40