Thinking about restoring an old boat.

drhunter1

When driving around I sometimes see old hulls on people’s properties and I thought to myself, if I could get them to let me have that old hill to get it off their property I could take it home and work on it and restore it.

I could make into an outboard driven fishing boat. Put a deck on it and what not.

I’ve never done it before but I bet I could watch enough YouTube videos to put one together over time. Have minimal costs and make it the way I want it.

Thoughts?

Look @ some restorations on youtube or other sites. Depending on the condition of the boat you might be replacing stringers and the transom along with the decks. Can get expensive and depending how handy you are, take months or even years. Good luck.

specialk

When driving around I sometimes see old hulls on people’s properties and I thought to myself, if I could get them to let me have that old hill to get it off their property I could take it home and work on it and restore it.

I could make into an outboard driven fishing boat. Put a deck on it and what not.

I’ve never done it before but I bet I could watch enough YouTube videos to put one together over time. Have minimal costs and make it the way I want it.

Thoughts?
@bilgerat might be able to give advice on anything boat related, i believe he was born on a boat....lol....

drhunter1

Look @ some restorations on youtube or other sites. Depending on the condition of the boat you might be replacing stringers and the transom along with the decks. Can get expensive and depending how handy you are, take months or even years. Good luck.
I can work on it on my spare time and really just pick away at it.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like a great idea , and there’s plenty to be had .

bilgerat

Senior
I’ve restored many old boats over the years, I figured out it would have been cheaper to just buy a running boat and not spent all the money and countless hours fixing an old one . But it can be satisfying to redo one the way you want it and finally get it in the water and enjoy it . Here’s the last free hull I was given and spent 2 years to restore , it was bare hull when I got it , it was a 18’ proline I kept it a year the sold it to get up a down payment on my hunting property .

Attachments

• IMG_4864.jpeg
    IMG_4864.jpeg
    446.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4858.jpeg
    IMG_4858.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4857.jpeg
    IMG_4857.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill

Thoughts?
I say do it and record your progress and process so that we could all see it and learn as you go. (y)

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I’ve restored many old boats over the years, I figured out it would have been cheaper to just buy a running boat and not spent all the money and countless hours fixing an old one . But it can be satisfying to redo one the way you want it and finally get it in the water and enjoy it . Here’s the last free hull I was given and spent 2 years to restore , it was bare hill when I got it , it was a 18’ proline I kept it a year the sold it to get up a down payment on my hunting property .
I may need to reach out to you when I go to rewire my old Lowe 16 bass boat!

drhunter1

Hers the one I wish I’d kept , from bare hiull to totally restored. A 86 Henry-O 17 ‘
That is beautiful. I got a lead on a 60’s Wellcraft ski boat that I want to turn into a center console deck boat. It’s a cruiser bit I want to turn it into a fisher.

Is it possible?

bilgerat

Senior
That is beautiful. I got a lead on a 60’s Wellcraft ski boat that I want to turn into a center console deck boat. It’s a cruiser bit I want to turn it into a fisher.

Is it possible?
yes you can but its a lot of work , I took a old 1972 20' seacraft cuddy and turned it into a center console . It took almost 4 years but was awesome when I finished it

Attachments

• 20140605_174822.jpg
    20140605_174822.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 01_fb67c02564060b60374dd36a74bca2601b4a6f24.jpg
    01_fb67c02564060b60374dd36a74bca2601b4a6f24.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 38

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
yes you can but its a lot of work , I took a old 1972 20' seacraft cuddy and turned it into a center console . It took almost 4 years but was awesome when I finished it
That is unbelievable ! Great work

drhunter1

That’s what I’m talking about. :rockon:

I get that it’s gonna be a lot of work and a lot of my free time. Being that Im a novice at this it’s going to be probably mor difficult and time consuming but the end result will be rewarding.

I was thinking I’ll have to cut the side gunnels off entirely and go from there.

paulito

I took an old fiberglass bass boat off a guys property. turned it into a stick steer duck bot and it worked pretty darn good fo a number of seasons. it can get addictive tinkering with one

drhunter1

After doing a little research it looks like the top cap is a separate piece that can be removed by drilling out the rivets. That will hopefully make it easier.