Thinking about restoring an old boat.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
After doing a little research it looks like the top cap is a separate piece that can be removed by drilling out the rivets. That will hopefully make it easier.
Make sure to share some pictures when u get started

Dr. Strangelove

Accumulate however much cash you think the project will cost. Now go get twice that much. Throw in another thousand just for good measure. Then go out in your driveway and light it on fire.

All kidding aside, it can be fun and rewarding but be realistic and know your limitations.

bilgerat

Senior
If you pull the top cap be sure to cut and screw a few 2x4s across the inside top Of the hull to prevent it from warping . When I did the seacafti conversion I did not pull the top cap, I cut the outer top deck 4 inches from the edge all The way around and made it the gunnels of the center console.

sleepr71

Bilgerat already said it…but you are years ahead buying one that’s mostly done.! Unless you LOVE work & spending hours & days laying fiberglass..I would stay away from fiberglass & wood boats. Holy Moly can those have hidden “issues”. Especially the ones just left out in the yard for years.! IF you still insist…find an all aluminum boat. Your wallet,your sanity, and family will Thank You. :)

drhunter1

If you pull the top cap be sure to cut and screw a few 2x4s across the inside top Of the hull to prevent it from warping . When I did the seacafti conversion I did not pull the top cap, I cut the outer top deck 4 inches from the edge all The way around and made it the gunnels of the center console.
Got it. That makes sense.

buckpasser

Bilgerat already said it…but you are years ahead buying one that’s mostly done.! Unless you LOVE work & spending hours & days laying fiberglass..I would stay away from fiberglass & wood boats. Holy Moly can those have hidden “issues”. Especially the ones just left out in the yard for years.! IF you still insist…find an all aluminum boat. Your wallet,your sanity, and family will Thank You. :)

You’re not wrong. I’ve got an old one that’s in pretty good shape. I need to go inject the floor with some gorilla glue and water to “harden” the old dead plywood middle. I’m not gonna open her up as I’ve been down that rabbit hole with my BIL…

pbradley

When driving around I sometimes see old hulls on people’s properties and I thought to myself, if I could get them to let me have that old hill to get it off their property I could take it home and work on it and restore it.

I could make into an outboard driven fishing boat. Put a deck on it and what not.

I’ve never done it before but I bet I could watch enough YouTube videos to put one together over time. Have minimal costs and make it the way I want it.

Thoughts?
Basspro has new Rangers for around a hundred thousand.