Timber prices

southernman13

How are timber prices these days and what
R they expected to do. I know that's the million dollar question. I've got timber that needs cut (pines) I can hold off but they need cut. Just asking. SW Ga area. Thanks

I did a computer search-suggest you do likewise. Based on the results it should lead you to the correct source for more info. $25 per ton is a average for saw timber the site I located came up with. I would think that would vary a lot. From what I have observed the contracts are generally agreed upon way in advance of the harvest-generally the buyer seems to have a year or so to cut . I see a lot of activity in Talbot, Monroe, and Lamar counties right now.

southernman13

Tenfo. I've got that kind of pricing currently quoted. I was just curious if anyone had any foresight in any up coming changes. I guess really with what I have (70 acres) to be cut it wouldn't matter a great deal unless it were to really change. Mine are
Planted but have been cut and thinned prior to me owning the property. I don't want to cut them but it's m loosing more than I'm gaining I'm afraid if I don't.

Nugefan

get a timber cruiser to cruise the lot ....

rydert

Blue Heeler man
I would hold it. I think both hardwood and pine will start moving up in price toward the end of next year.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Tenfo. I've got that kind of pricing currently quoted. I was just curious if anyone had any foresight in any up coming changes. I guess really with what I have (70 acres) to be cut it wouldn't matter a great deal unless it were to really change. Mine are
Planted but have been cut and thinned prior to me owning the property. I don't want to cut them but it's m loosing more than I'm gaining I'm afraid if I don't.

With a small tract like that you may not get full market price. Moving equipment, set up and take down cost money and most companies want to park and work for a while so they can recover the cost and still make a profit.

I agree with Nugefan. Get a forester to do a timber cruise so you know what you have.

Todd E

A)Pay a timber consultant to value your timber.
B)Secure bids from multiple wood buyers.
C)Thank yourself for doing A, since you didn't get ripped off by B and you're depositing a little bit of money in the bank.

Nugefan

C)Thank yourself for doing A, since you didn't get ripped off by B and you're depositing a little bit of money in the bank.

yep ...

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the above advice. The only way to get an true competitive bid is to have a valid estimate by a well known professional timber manager.

Sometimes a local professional timber cruiser or the local Ga Forestry rep knows when other nearby tracts are being harvested. They can combine local tracts. This way a logging company minimizes transportation expenses and could possibly pay a little more for the wood.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I would hold it. I think both hardwood and pine will start moving up in price toward the end of next year.

I agree, the timber commodity is just starting to move again. I would think after the first of the year the prices will get more competitive.

Dirtroad Johnson

This is good advice. Get references for a reputable timber consultant & he can save you a lot of headaches & money. If you're in no hurry to cut or thin, he will let you know when the prices are favorable. He will get prices from different buyers & when there is a buyer or buyers that have something lined up in your area, it will work in you favor for better pricing. This has been my experience.

j_seph

Believe instead of depositing money in bank, unless I needed it I would take that money and reinvest it by replanting if I could.

ClemsonRangers

i think small sawtimber like CNS remain flat due to an abundance of available stumpage, sawtimber and plylogs should rise, pulpwood should remain flat as mills are full and orders are slow, could improve next fall though