Time passing thread.

DynamicDennis

After seeing where some of these other threads have gotten off track, figured I'd start one for that specific purpose.

The last 2-3 years since I have honestly (even with myself), given up worrying about what other people on our club shoot, have been some of my favorite years yet. Was sad how consumed I was about what other people did, instead of enjoying the time with my friends and family. I am not on a trophy club, and the relaxed rules of our camp is what makes it enjoyable. This year we (myself, dad, daughter) did not run any feeders for the first time since its been legal, curious to see what a difference it makes. I don't bow hunt, so we will find out next weekend. Got this season, and 1 more of youth with my youngest daughter looking forward to hitting the woods. Stay safe and good luck to everyone, irregardless of your hunting style or preferences.

alwayslookin

Also in a club with relaxed rules so I know what ya mean and feel the same way. Our views also shift as we get older (I just turned 49) and we realize what's important in life....time spent at camp or in the woods with friends or family is the best trophy in our pursuit of game.

Hope y'all have a great season.

rugerfan

I am 48, been hunting public land for the last 20 + years. Seeing deer is a score, getting the opportunity to harvest a deer is a score, getting the opportunity to get a decent buck, is a big score. I have learned that it doesn't matter if you hunt the way I do, or choose to harvest what I harvest. You do it, and you do it legally, whether it is a doe, spike, 4 point or whatever, you are going to get a congratulations from me.

Stop worrying about what others do, and focus on you.

buckpasser

Deer hunting CAN be so much fun, if we let it. I nearly ruined it for years with self set goals and requirements. It got to be more like a job than a hobby. I remember telling my dad that I hated deer hunting but couldn’t quit without killing “a really big one” for all my effort. I just hunt when I can now and really enjoy guiding my kids more than any hunting I ever did for myself. I don’t hunt when I should be with family, or at work, or at church, or tending to other responsibilities, and when I’m in the woods I’m rewarded. I hope y’all have a great season!

Kev

Deer hunting has definitely changed for me the past year or two. I would about kill myself trying to kill big bucks. I started getting burned out on hunting but would force myself to go no matter what. I was always worried about what the neighbor was shooting and wanted everyone to look at hunting the same way I did. Now, I just like going and just having the health to go is more than I deserve.

buckpasser

Deer hunting has definitely changed for me the past year or two. I would about kill myself trying to kill big bucks. I started getting burned out on hunting but would force myself to go no matter what. I was always worried about what the neighbor was shooting and wanted everyone to look at hunting the same way I did. Now, I just like going and just having the health to go is more than I deserve.

Were we separated at birth? It’s a bad way to be when you just know that boom you heard was somebody getting “your buck”. Haha

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
We’ll for some it’s like that Dennis. I am very competitive and want to kill the biggest buck every year and hate when people kill little bucks. And absolutely despise when a freakin 10 year old kills a 160 inch “Giant” on daddy’s farm who doesn’t even care about hunting. They should have to kill a doe before they kill anything with horns . Jmho. Maybe one day it will change , but I’m mad at em right now . Please nobody take offense, just being completely honest.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We hunt with the Grandkids mostly now. On our family lease we are in a regular country. They get 2 bucks each. One of any size ( they like ? that ) the other must have 4 on one side. They love calling their buck in and reporting it. They all take the hunter safety course on line. They help or skin there own deer. We ice it down and drain a couple days then process it with them helping. They take the meat home and they feel so proud feeding the family.
The hunting youth weekend starts soon and they know they got a great chance and 1st chance to kill anything they want once it steps out.
I think what they enjoy the most is putting it on the 4 wheeler and taking it back to camp. Them driving it and pulling into camp for all to see it.
Y’all hunt safe.

buckpasser

We’ll for some it’s like that Dennis. I am very competitive and want to kill the biggest buck every year and hate when people kill little bucks. And absolutely despise when a freakin 10 year old kills a 160 inch “Giant” on daddy’s farm who doesn’t even care about hunting. They should have to kill a doe before they kill anything with horns . Jmho. Maybe one day it will change , but I’m mad at em right now . Please nobody take offense, just being completely honest.

I understand your position, but as my friend often says “there’s no justice in the whitetail woods”. I had been trying like the devil to kill a “big one” for over a decade when my little cousin went on his first hunt. He fired a shot at “at least a six point” right at daylight with a borrowed rifle in a stand he’d never seen before that day. When his non-hunter dad came to pick him up, there lay a 150” class bruiser! The amount of time or work put in sometimes has little bearing on the successes we experience while luck plays a large role! Haha!

Just try to enjoy the hunt and it’ll sort itself out in time.

DynamicDennis

I understand your position, but as my friend often says “there’s no justice in the whitetail woods”. I had been trying like the devil to kill a “big one” for over a decade when my little cousin went on his first hunt. He fired a shot at “at least a six point” right at daylight with a borrowed rifle in a stand he’d never seen before that day. When his non-hunter dad came to pick him up, there lay a 150” class bruiser! The amount of time or work put in sometimes has little bearing on the successes we experience while luck plays a large role! Haha!

Just try to enjoy the hunt and it’ll sort itself out in time.
Hopefully that got them wanting to do more in the outdoors, obviously they can shoot! Ready to be in the woods, got 9 or 10 cams set out for over a month. Hopefully at least 1/2 worked the whole time.

jmac7469

Ive been very lucky in my hunting life. For a few years I was ultra competitive and wanted to kill the biggest bucks around. That was easy to accomplish. I wanted to kill deer everywhere I hunted and Ive done that. Now I just take what I feel like. I dont worry about what the people around me do. Ive learned since we lost the property I grew up hunting that most people around us have no idea how to actually hunt. I have 2 tracts of land now and dont care what we kill. Its muchore relaxing amd enjoyable that way. At least to me.

buckpasser

Hopefully that got them wanting to do more in the outdoors, obviously they can shoot! Ready to be in the woods, got 9 or 10 cams set out for over a month. Hopefully at least 1/2 worked the whole time.

Heck no! They haven’t been back since that day. The boy’s father (my uncle) had almost the exact same scenario play out about twenty years prior to his son’s on a really big nine point. Last I saw those two deer they were shoulder mounted, hanging up OUTDOORS under the shed in my uncle’s yard as the women don’t approve of them indoors. I bet they wonder what all the fuss is over killing a big buck! Gen 3 has been born now, so I guess he can use my stand for his one hunt in a few more years. Might get a county record.

Duff

I have always wanted to kill big bucks, still do. But I put in a very very very small fraction of the time as I once did. But, I have never been mad, upset, jealous or had ill feelings towards anyone else that killed one. I just don't understand that.