Top 10 reasons why I don't do Christmas

gtparts

I mentioned this in the other thread, but thought I would bring it up over here...

Any of your churches not meet when Christmas fell on a Sunday? Any thoughts on this? Does Christmas trump the Lord's Day?

Matt. 18:20
" For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

Also, does anyone on here have a problem with Santa Claus? I know of a church in town that is using Santa Claus to "explain" to the children the "true meaning of Christmas." Does this strike a nerve with anyone else?

Neutral on Claus.
Doesn't make sense. Luke 2:1-40 winds my watch.

Peace.

Banjo

Matt. 18:20
" For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

Read it in context...this verse is about CHURCH DISCIPLINE.

I am assuming that your church did not worship corporately on Christmas...therefore man decided that a holiday instituted by man was more important than the Sabbath which was instituted by God. Correct me if I am wrong....

Man thus becomes the determiner of how he will worship the Creator....It's backwards, but a good commentary on most evangelical churches in America. Humanism reigns...Christ waits for man to be the determiner of his own salvation and worship services.

PWalls

We have never not had Church service on Sunday morning in the 5 years I have been attending mine. Never.

There may be some lower attendance during certain holidays because people are on vacation or travelling.

gtparts

Read it in context...this verse is about CHURCH DISCIPLINE.

Specifically, yes, the context is about church discipline. But there is an interesting idea being presented that over-arches the context. Verse 19 deals with the issue of agreement and unity among believers as they petition their Father in heaven. Christ has moved from speaking on the matter of disharmony and the process to facilitate reconciliation, to doing the right thing as one in authority over such matters. In verse 20, He is not merely repeating or restating Himself for emphasis. He expands the area over which He has authority. The focus shifts from discipline to the larger issue of (1) unity in His name and (2) His approval, evidenced by His presence.

It is therefore quite appropriate, IMO, to view the gathering of the Body of Christ in corporate worship as an example of (1) unity in His name and (2) His approval, evidenced by His presence, as well as His pouring out His blessings among those who do not forsake the gathering.

I am assuming that your church did not worship corporately on Christmas...therefore man decided that a holiday instituted by man was more important than the Sabbath which was instituted by God. Correct me if I am wrong....

Quite dangerous, my dear. You asked for correction. You have it. The hour is delayed somewhat, to allow for preparation for the midday or afternoon meal, travel preparation, etc. But it never has occurred to forgo corporate worship. He is, after all, THE REASON for all seasons. Apology accepted. You are forgiven.

Man thus becomes the determiner of how he will worship the Creator....It's backwards, but a good commentary on most evangelical churches in America. Humanism reigns...Christ waits for man to be the determiner of his own salvation and worship services.

I would say, "a sad commentary". However, I would hesitate to say "most". Sounds to me like you associate "most evangelical churches in America" with "humanism".

JMO, but it seems more likely that if "Humanism reigns", it is due more to the non-evangelical churches.

Grace and peace be to you and yours.

Israel

BANNED
Bible doesn't say. I guess that means the birth of Christ is totally irrelavent and immaterial then.
No, it doesn't mean that at all.
What it may mean however is more in line with Banjo's comments and questions and Jesus' own when he said:

BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME, TEACHING FOR DOCTRINES THE COMMANDMENTS OF MEN." (Matthew 15:9)

We do not make the incarnation relevant by coming up with our own ways to "celebrate" him. The state of christianity owes much to the "good ideas" men have substituted for worship in spirit and truth.
If one really wants feast days to mark their calendars, why do so many shun the very feasts Jesus himself kept?
Everyone (even most of the world) just loves the "baby Jesus" sweet and mild simply because the baby Jesus doesn't instruct men in righteousness, and he looks so cute and helpless. He's easy to celebrate. Knowing Jesus after the flesh has never saved anyone.
The one who even when beaten and bloody, but still refusing men's pity as evidenced in his response when seeing the tears shed for him, "Weep for yourselves and for your children" is given to be Lord of all.

Therefore
God has highly exalted him and given him the name above all names.

Men want to keep that day with whatever commemoration they care to...so be it.
But the marking of birthdays, the preoccupation with all the trappings that surround what men want to claim is "solely for the Lord" is disingenuous at best...for neither the scripture nor the spirit of God attest that it is something that ought to be done.

Let Rome keep it's romish holidays, Jesus is far more visible in the Passover than he has ever been in man made celebrations.

Lord...be glorified in showing men, especially those who claim your name the difference between Ruach ha Kodesh and "the" xmas spirit.

Banjo

Quite dangerous, my dear. You asked for correction. You have it. The hour is delayed somewhat, to allow for preparation for the midday or afternoon meal, travel preparation, etc. But it never has occurred to forgo corporate worship. He is, after all, THE REASON for all seasons. Apology accepted. You are forgiven.

I stand corrected; I would have most certainly extended my apology, but see that you have already forgiven me. Of that, I am glad. I hope you have a safe trip.

JMO, but it seems more likely that if "Humanism reigns", it is due more to the non-evangelical churches.

I have to ask here....do you mean non-evangelical churches....which would include those Calvinistic churches which you mistakenly have assumed do not evangelize?

Banjo

Everyone (even most of the world) just loves the "baby Jesus" sweet and mild simply because the baby Jesus doesn't instruct men in righteousness, and he looks so cute and helpless. He's easy to celebrate.

Even Fisher Price has capitalized on this baby Jesus....One may find the plastic baby Jesus in a nativity set which is available at Walmart and other fine stores. Your toddlers can use baby Jesus to teethe upon; throw at their siblings, or kiss....depending on the mood.

Last edited:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
This is funny.

gtparts

I have to ask here....do you mean non-evangelical churches....which would include those Calvinistic churches which you mistakenly have assumed do not evangelize?

Don't know about your computer, but mine does not type anything between the lines. I am really a "what I type is what I mean" kinda guy.

While examining all churches as to whether they are evangelical or not is completely impractical, if not impossible, I believe the Bible is clear on the church's mandate:

Matt. 28:19-20
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Acts 1:8
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

I have made no assumptions, as you suggest.

Some individuals apparently rationalize their disobedience to the above two passages on the basis of election; i.e. "I am not really gifted in this area, and while I understand that is what He wants me to do, the elect will "turn" somehow and the non-elect will "burn", regardless of what I do."

It would most certainly include those Calvinistic churches which could be correctly identified as doing nothing to evangelize.

The balance would be non-Calvinistic churches which could be correctly identified as doing nothing to evangelize.

Why the effort to put words in my mouth?:confused:

gtparts

Even Fisher Price has capitalized on this baby Jesus....One may find the plastic baby Jesus in a nativity set which is available at Walmart and other fine stores. Your toddlers can use baby Jesus to teeth upon; throw at their siblings, or kiss....depending on the mood.

Sounds like a "teachable moment" to me. TIC

Jeffriesw

I mentioned this in the other thread, but thought I would bring it up over here...

Any of your churches not meet when Christmas fell on a Sunday? Any thoughts on this? Does Christmas trump the Lord's Day?I haven't been attending my present Church long enough to know, But it a question I will ask my Pastor, I know we are having a service Christmas Eve.

Also, does anyone on here have a problem with Santa Claus? I have no problem with Santa Claus as long as parents instruct there children exactly who he is and the fact that he is in know way connected with Christ.I know of a church in town that is using Santa Claus to "explain" to the children the "true meaning of Christmas." Does this strike a nerve with anyone else?Yes, That would would seem a little wierd to me, I don't think we need Santa to expain Christ to our kids

By the way Banjo, Love the new hair doo..:bounce:

P

PJason

For a group of people who have a hard time believing in evolution there sure seems to a lot of primate like traits being displayed.

Nitpicking

Pooh flinging

Multiple attempts at mounting one another to show dominance

Attachments

• chimp-1.gif
    chimp-1.gif
    32.7 KB · Views: 178

gtparts

For a group of people who have a hard time believing in evolution there sure seems to a lot of primate like traits being displayed.

Nitpicking

Pooh flinging

Multiple attempts at mounting one another to show dominance

Thanks for all the fine examples of nitpicking, pooh flinging, and multiple attempts at mounting one another to show dominance in your posts.

Now, we all know what not to do.:bounce::bounce:

P

PJason

Everyone (even most of the world) just loves the "baby Jesus" sweet and mild simply because the baby Jesus doesn't instruct men in righteousness, and he looks so cute and helpless.

So what of the God that is the same today, yesterday, tomorrow and forever?

Was Christ not God even in His infant form?

Even then He was our Savoir; he did not one day become God, He always was God. The Christ that hung on the cross is the One Who lay in the manger. The Christ who fed from His mother Mary’s breast is the One Who was resurrected. The baby Jesus instructed men in righteousness from the beginning of time and continues to this day. There was nothing helpless about the God that lay in that manger. He came to show how weak and helpless we were without Him. We needed that Child just as much as the Man. Without the birth there was no cross without the cross there was no resurrection, without the resurrection there is no salvation.

Banjo

Double Barrel BB

So what of the God that is the same today, yesterday, tomorrow and forever?

Was Christ not God even in His infant form?

Even then He was our Savoir; he did not one day become God, He always was God. The Christ that hung on the cross is the One Who lay in the manger. The Christ who fed from His mother Mary’s breast is the One Who was resurrected. The baby Jesus instructed men in righteousness from the beginning of time and continues to this day. There was nothing helpless about the God that lay in that manger. He came to show how weak and helpless we were without Him. We needed that Child just as much as the Man. Without the birth there was cross without the cross there was no resurrection, without the resurrection there is no salvation.

That is the problem with most Christians during this time of year, they look at baby Jesus, and they see a child, they don't see the Cruxified Christ, they don't see a Resurrected Christ, they see a little baby... I don't think Isreal was meaning to say baby Jesus was helpless...

DB BB

P

PJason

That is the problem with most Christians during this time of year, they look at baby Jesus, and they see a child, they don't see the Cruxified Christ, they don't see a Resurrected Christ, they see a little baby... I don't think Isreal was meaning to say baby Jesus was helpless...

DB BB

They see the child that we are to approach God as.

How many miss this more often then not? We are not to approach God as the chest pounding evangelist but as the child in need of a Father.

Double Barrel BB

They see the child that we are to approach God as.

How many miss this more often then not? We are not to approach God as the chest pounding evangelist but as the child in need of a Father.

Jesus approached me... I didn't have any power to approach Him...

DB BB