Top doctrines in Christianity you consider false.

hobbs27

If you could name up to three doctrines in Christianity that you find absolutely false, what would they be and why do you find them to be false?
Thanks.

Last edited:

atlashunter

Christianity is divided on nearly all doctrinal claims but the claim that the resurrection is a historical event has to be in my top three.

Is young earth creationism a Christian doctrine?

WaltL1

If you could name up to three doctrines in Christianity that you find absolutely false, what would they be and why do you find them to be false?
Thanks.
First I want to specify that I find to be false AT THIS TIME, based on the lack of evidence (the Why part of your question) -
1. The existence of any god, in this case the Christian God.
2. That Jesus/Joshua/Yeshua was God (the Trinity thing) or the Son of God (in the non Trinity sense)
see #1
3. Any story/action/event that would require (G)god like abilities to perform. To include the authors of the various books of the Bible/the creation of the Bible being directed/overseen by God.
See #1 again.

hobbs27

Christianity is divided on nearly all doctrinal claims but the claim that the resurrection is a historical event has to be in my top three.

I had to go back and check my wording. I wanted to make sure I didn't say " Christian doctrine", but doctrines within Christianity.

hobbs27

Funny. Bertrand Russell pointed to a future coming and resurrection as his proof Jesus lied.

It's a doctrine in Christianity, just as old earth creationism, and covenant creation.

atlashunter

Funny. Bertrand Russell pointed to a future coming and resurrection as his proof Jesus lied.

It's a doctrine in Christianity, just as old earth creationism, and covenant creation.

Then add young earth creationism to the list. And Noah's ark.

atlashunter

And the idea of original sin and vicarious redemption through blood sacrifice.

hobbs27

Let me try asking this way then... Most of you were probably raised Christian, what doctrines made you start doubting?

drippin' rock

Let me try asking this way then... Most of you were probably raised Christian, what doctrines made you start doubting?

The doctrines aren't what made me first doubt. It was the realization that I didn't think like most of the folks around me. I'm not a "worshippy" kind of guy. I don't feel the need to pray. I don't feel incomplete without belief. I don't feel like I'm a dirty sinner in need of redemption. Once that part of my personality solidified, it was very easy to pick doctrine apart.

hobbs27

What doctrines did you find easiest to pick apart?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I was raised by a Baptist preacher, and I was made to be in church Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, bible school, revivals, etc.

The doctrines that made me question the whole thing the most were:

The idea that people are naturally evil, sinful, unworthy beings, even though we were supposedly created in the image of God, and had our nature, personality, and instincts installed by God; who then blames us for acting just like he created us to act, then casts us into He11 by default for being ourselves unless we perform repentance ceremonies to redeem ourselves. Add in the whole convoluted plan that we were created in the image of God, then sinned, and then God sent his son to suffer and die as a sacrifice to absolve our sins that he built into us so that we don't have to roast for eternity. If that's the most logical plan that God can come up with, he lacks imagination and management skills. The whole Job story didn't help either. Indeed, this idea of God brings to mind the sadistic kid who pulls the wings off of flies to watch them spin around on the tabletop. And the idea that God sits around watching us all the time to see what we do or don't do so that he can punish us for it.

Totally unbelievable stories taken as literal fact, like Noah's Ark, order of creation that contradicts logic, such as plants being created before the Sun was, etc.

The idea that people were created to subdue the Earth and have dominion over it, and we are better than everything else on Earth. And the idea that the Bible is the pure word of God straight from his mouth, when it is evident that it isn't. And the idea that we can even understand a power like God, much less know exactly what he/she/it wants.

I am not an atheist, I think; as I believe in a higher power. But, I don't really think that it bears any resemblance to the Christian God, or any other organized religion. My idea of God after a half-century of study and observation is much more along the lines of the God of most Native American tribes and our own Celtic and hunter-gatherer ancestors- of God being a universal non-anthropomorphic energy or power or force that is present and reveals itself in all things of creation, the unknowable Great Mystery. Personally, I have always felt much closer to God out alone on a mountaintop, in the woods, or on a riverbank than I have stuffed into a manmade building full of judgmental people trying to impress each other with their piety.

atlashunter

I was raised by a Baptist preacher, and I was made to be in church Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, bible school, revivals, etc.

The idea that people are naturally evil, sinful, unworthy beings, even though we were supposedly created in the image of God, and had our nature, personality, and instincts installed by God; who then blames us for acting just like he created us to act, then casts us into He11 by default for being ourselves unless we perform repentance ceremonies to redeem ourselves. Add in the whole convoluted plan that we were created in the image of God, then sinned, and then God sent his son to suffer and die as a sacrifice to absolve our sins that he built into us so that we don't have to roast for eternity. If that's the most logical plan that God can come up with, he lacks imagination and management skills. The whole Job story didn't help either. Indeed, this idea of God brings to mind the sadistic kid who pulls the wings off of flies to watch them spin around on the tabletop. And the idea that God sits around watching us all the time to see what we do or don't do so that he can punish us for it.

Totally unbelievable stories taken as literal fact, like Noah's Ark, order of creation that contradicts logic, such as plants being created before the Sun was, etc.

The idea that people were created to subdue the Earth and have dominion over it, and we are better than everything else on Earth. And the idea that the Bible is the pure word of God straight from his mouth, when it is evident that it isn't. And the idea that we can even understand a power like God, much less know exactly what he/she/it wants.

I am not an atheist, I think; as I believe in a higher power. But, I don't really think that it bears any resemblance to the Christian God, or any other organized religion. My idea of God after a half-century of study and observation is much more along the lines of the God of most Native American tribes and our own Celtic and hunter-gatherer ancestors- of God being a universal non-anthropomorphic energy or power or force that is present and reveals itself in all things of creation, the unknowable Great Mystery. Personally, I have always felt much closer to God out alone on a mountaintop, in the woods, or on a riverbank than I have stuffed into a manmade building full of judgmental people trying to impress each other with their piety.

Similar experience and thought process. Raised by an Assembly of God preacher. Add to the above the ineffectiveness of prayer. Way too much that just doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Logical contradictions put forward by christians depending on the topic. For instance a common response to the problem of evil is free will. God wants you to choose a relationship with him they say. But life begins at conception we are also told. And those who die before reaching the age of accountability ie the unborn, babies, toddlers, children too young to understand sin etc go to heaven. Which means when you consider the vast numbers of miscarriages and childhood mortality that was the norm throughout most of human history not just for christians but for all people heaven is mostly filled with those who never had an opportunity to exercise their free will.

Did we mention evolution and the problem that poses for the idea of humans being the only species with spirits or the idea of original sin when there was no original man?

All of this and much more the christian just shrugs and accepts as another mystery they can't reconcile. The moment you accept the possibility that christianity is fiction just like any other religion those mysteries are easily explained.

WaltL1

For me it wasn't the doctrine in itself that made me START doubting.
It was my view of what is right and wrong contradicting some doctrines.
Which lead me down the road of examining myself first then examining doctrine and where it came from, how it became doctrine etc, etc.
That lead me to reject Christianity. Not "God" but Christianity.
My belief in God, was more or less collateral damage as once Christianity was rejected, "God" as described by Christianity, ceased to exist.

I'm open to the possibility of a god/higher power/something but it is going require something other than just a person/people/group etc. telling me what that god/higher power/something "is".

hobbs27

you might enjoy this book, it's not on Amazon but they sent mine out before they cashed my check. Here's a link to their site.

http://beyondcreationscience.com/

hobbs27

For me it wasn't the doctrine in itself that made me START doubting.
It was my view of what is right and wrong contradicting some doctrines.
Which lead me down the road of examining myself first then examining doctrine and where it came from, how it became doctrine etc, etc.
That lead me to reject Christianity. Not "God" but Christianity.
My belief in God, was more or less collateral damage as once Christianity was rejected, "God" as described by Christianity, ceased to exist.

I'm open to the possibility of a god/higher power/something but it is going require something other than just a person/people/group etc. telling me what that god/higher power/something "is".

I believe whole heatedly in the Christian God, but I can see through scripture how man has made a mess of Christianity... Much of what is taught today just isn't scriptural.
He11
Church attendance
Losing Salvation
The end of the world
Etc...
Most of this, in my opinion was added to form the Roman Catholic Church, which was a merger of Christianity and Paganism.

drippin' rock

What doctrines did you find easiest to pick apart?

I'm not inclined to type an essay on my phone.:biggrin3:

Just pick any doctrine you like and then scroll through earlier threads. I agree with bullet, ambush, Walt, NC, etc. you pick. They are more willing to say the same thing over and over than I am.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I believe whole heatedly in the Christian God, but I can see through scripture how man has made a mess of Christianity... Much of what is taught today just isn't scriptural.
He11
Church attendance
Losing Salvation
The end of the world
Etc...
Most of this, in my opinion was added to form the Roman Catholic Church, which was a merger of Christianity and Paganism.

The Roman Catholic Church was created and existed for the sole purpose of controlling people, IMO. Throughout the Middle Ages, the Church held the same position in Europe that Islamic theocracy holds in the Middle East today.