Training a squirrel dog

ROBERT45

I have a Fiest dog , that is about one year old, and would like to know how to train him. Every time I show him a squirrel all he wants to do is play. Will he stop that or is there no hope?

drhayes

Check out www.squirrelhaters.net and www.sqdog.com
I am thinking of getting a couple feists and have learned a lot from both of these sights. Both are forums dedicated to squirrel dogs

Brian Groce

Take him to the woods alot. Let him see and chase live squirrels. when he chases one up a tree try to get him excited so he will bark. the praise him.

crackerdave

There's a real good book - "Squirrel Dog Basics" - by David Osborne. You can probably order it on Amazon.com
He lives in Watkinsville,Ga. and the book is well worth the money.Lots of good training info,breed info - anything you'd want to know.

Good advice from Brian and drhayes,too.

Come to the youth hunt and bring your dog and a kid or two - I promise y'all will enjoy it! [See thread in this forum]

bearhunter39

some feist don't start treeing till they are2 years old just take it hunting let it run s got treeing in its blood it will start

Jeff Raines

20 foot cane pole with squirrel hide attached.Keep 'im lookin up

Cavalry Scout

Take it from somone going thru it right now, you dont train them, they train you. Take him to the woods as much as possible. Get with somone who is experenced and pick their brains. There are super nice, real live Gentlemen who love to hunt little dogs. There is also a ATFA hunt in Jan. I plan on going just to learn more.

crackerdave

You can also learn a lot if you'll come to the youth hunt Jan.16th.Bring your dog and a couple of kids - I think you'll enjoy it!