Trapping Starter Kit

dhardy87

Me and my son are wanting to get in to trapping. What is a good "starter kit" to get for trapping. As in traps, tools, etc. My target is really any predator, nest raiders and such. I have 110 acres of private land and want to be a good steward of the land and help out game animals. I have trapped coons before in those cage traps using cheap dog food, grape cool aid and marsh mellows. But that is about the extent of my knowledge of trapping. I was training some walkers at the time. I see there is a wealth of knowledge here and people don't mind sharing, which is great. Most folks don't like to share knowledge.

Thanks for the help!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Go back and read my journey from clueless to success. I burned the trapping forum up two seasons back. I started 3/21, about 12 pages deep.

Got a lot of help right here, from guys that know.

My stories might flatten the curve for you a bit.

My advice is to start with a dozen MB550 offset traps. Good quality, and ready to go out of the box. Easy on critters you need to release, too. I started with six, and very quickly ended up with two dozen. Trapping on about 100 acres.

If you can't check traps every morning, above all else, don't even set one. No critter needs to spend the heat of a day in a trap.

Learn a basic set or two, and keep it very simple. Simple simply works. Use peat moss and polyfil to bed a trap.

Two drops of Yote or fox urine, and a twig dipped in gland lure is all it takes.

Again, simple.

You'll need a catch pole, and a .22 along with a trappers license.

Trapping is a lot of work, and will teach you things about the woods and critters you are after. It's also a whole bunch of fun, and yet another excuse to hit the woods.

We'll be watching!

Last edited:

Doug B.

Go back and read my journey from clueless to success. I burned the trapping forum up two seasons back. I started 3/21, about 12 pages deep.

Got a lot of help right here, from guys that know.

My stories might flatten the curve for you a bit.

My advice is to start with a dozen MB550 offset traps. Good quality, and ready to go out of the box. Easy on critters you need to release, too. I started with six, and very quickly ended up with two dozen. Trapping on about 100 acres.

If you can't check traps every morning, above all else, don't even set one. No critter needs to spend the heat of a day in a trap.

Learn a basic set or two, and keep it very simple. Simple simply works. Use peat moss and polyfil to bed a trap.

Two drops of Yote or fox urine, and a twig dipped in gland lure is all it takes.

Again, simple.

You'll need a catch pole, and a .22 along with a trappers license.

Trapping is a lot of work, and will teach you things about the woods and critters you are after. It's also a whole bunch of fun, and yet another excuse to hit the woods.

We'll be watching!
Spoken like a wise old trapper!!!:cheers:

Railroader is right! There is so much information on this trapping forum that it will take you a long time to read it all. So you better get started!!

Also there are some great trappers on here that have really taught me a lot. Don't be afraid to ask questions on here either. We have probably covered most topics that have to do anything with trapping but we will gladly discuss anything trapping related that you bring up.

As far as your question though, I haven't looked at the starter kits to even see what is included. My advice would be to get a half dozen traps, something to dig trap beds, a sifter, and a stake driver to drive which ever kind of stakes you decide to go with. In other words, don't try to buy a kit that has everything you could possibly want. The reason I say that is because it might come with things you don't need and the money you spent could be used for lure, or bait, or more traps, etc.

sportsman94

It’s all been said up above. I would disagree with the checking by morning thing though. I’ve checked morning, early afternoon, and late in the afternoon depending on schedule. Modern traps are meant to hold the foot and reduce damage. If your schedule only allows you to check mid day/afternoons/etc I wouldn’t let it stop me from putting the traps in the ground. Just remember, some of the other states have 48, 72, or 96 hour checks. As long as you are trapping the cooler months and checking within the bounds of GA law you ought to be good. Good luck!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
My first piece of advice is don’t do like me and over think everything.
My second piece of advice is get MB550’s to start out with. You want to trap—not have to tweak traps
my third piece is get some Duke dog proof traps for raccoon.
These will keep you busy for now.
If you have the $ go ahead and get a dozen of each

Last edited:

sleepr71

I’d start with AT LEAST 6 MB 550’s & 6 DP traps. A Catch Pole that you TRUST(mine are homemade from 1in metal conduit,uncoated 3/16 Stainless Cable,and clothesline tensioner(about $30 vs $100+ for a bought one). A small,folding shovel. some sort of digging/bedding/driving tool. I welded a 2lb hammer head to a 2ft Crowbar. That lets me dig,drive stakes,and pull stakes(I use chain). You will need a long auger(1.5-2.0 in) diameter to make dirt holes with,and it makes it easier to retrieve stakes with also. Just drill down beside the stake & they usually pull out easier. Zeps floor polish works good as a protective coating,and is easy to apply after you dye them. You’ll need to buy/make a Sifter to sift Peat Moss + dirt over your traps. I use a large,plastic toolbox to keep my lures + rubber gloves in. You’ll need to keep lures & baits separated from your “prep” tools/supplies?Lure & bait…I’d just start off with proven ones & not try to reinvent the wheel. I use rubber boots,gloves,and an 18 wheeler mud flap (that I picked up off the highway)to kneel on when I put my traps in. Keeps me from kneeling in wet dirt/mud & “helps” keep some of my scent out of the set(although some say worrying about scent is a waste of time?). IF you have/can find a pair of sheep shears…they make a good tool to cut grass/leaves/etc to cover your set with..? I started as a Rookie last year & had quite a success. You’ll catch the dumb/easy ones first & think you are Daniel Boone..?

sleepr71

Oh yeah..PRACTICE with your traps BEFORE you even boil & dye them! Get used to what it takes to latch them,set/bed them,and go through the whole shebang..BEFORE handling your nice,clean,boiled traps?. Learn to BED your traps..SOLID..so they don’t wobble & wiggle once in the ground & covered. This is probably more important than all the rest of the whole sequence?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m in south Houston county if you want to ride along. Even if it’s to see what not to do
I was about to say I know a great guy and a decent trapper ? in your area that will get you started in the right direction I bet . Good luck ! I was born and raised in the woods and a few years ago I felt the same way as you . Just wanted to try and help the animals that I love to take care of on the property I hunt . I learned everything right here and watched a ton of YouTube videos. It took me a few weeks to catch that first coyote but in no time I was sharing pictures like this on here . Hope you enjoy it as much as I have . And if you get tired of reading railroaders questions search mine , I had a ton . Don’t be shy , ask away . Some good trappers right here .0D1C5A1B-DBB9-47D8-A366-4CA4B1C64115.jpeg