Tree Protection

SBG

Do you think that 6" corrugated drain fill pipe would work for tree protection? I was concerned about it being black and possibly getting to hot in the summer months.

Also, for those of you that have used tree protectors, do you put protectors on that are actually taller than the tree? I was ordering some seedlings that are 12" high, and they recommended tree protectors and the shortest were 24".:huh:

dannyray

Not sure about the black drain pipe, it may indeed get too hot in the summer. I know that the tan or white translucent tubes keep them cooler in the summer, and even when its real dry out there always seems to be alot of moisture down in the tube.

Ive always gone with the 5 foot tubes myself and use 6 foot long 1 inch X 1 inch treated pine for stakes. Drive the stake into the ground about 12 inches with a fence post thumper. Slip the tube over the seedling and tie the tube to the stake with baling twine/zip tie/etc. I then use old hay to mulch around the tube a few feet. Have had real good success with this method.

I dont think the 24 inchers will help you much. I have used 4 footers a few times in the past and as soon as the tree peaked out of the top of the 4 footer, the deer would browse off the top of the tree in the Springtime. Have not had that problem yet with the 5 footers.

I planted and tubed 12-18 inch pear tree seedlings in the above manner and they were above the top of the 5 foot tubes with 2 years.

gadeerwoman

I don't like the drain pipes. The opaque tree tubes do the best jobs as they act like little mini-greenhouses. I use tubes that are anywhere from 6"-12" taller than my seedlings. Some folks use them even taller than the seedlings. Since most of my seedlings are 3-4 foot, I usually get 4 foot tubes and use them for everything.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I would say black will stress that tree and scorch it. Go with a lighter color. If it was just at the bottom for a few inches to protect from a weedeater or mower then yes it would be fine.

rip18

Get the treetubes, and I like them the taller the better. I typically use the 4- and 5-foot tall tubes.

hunter_58

I dont know nothing much about trees or tubes, but if i buy a tree, and dig a hole to plant it, i ain't about to experiment with a home made tube and save maybe 1-2$ !! I'll do my experimenting on the kudzu :bounce:

good luck
:flag: