trout fishing around helen

wasp

we are going to helen this weekend ,can you give me any tips where i mite take my kids fishing , need kinda easy access , or perhaps a trout pond ,i want to include my little ones thanks.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
The creek going through hte middle of Helen is a good stream it gets fished regularly but is usually full of fish.

chewie1014

Chatahoochee River through Helen is good, but the access is kind of tough. I'd recommend the part of the River that runs through the Chatahoochee WMA. Easy access and usually stocked pretty good. There's always the kid's only pond at Burton Hatchery, but that's about 30 minutes from Helen. Stick with the Hooch through the WMA and you'll be good. If you need directions, shoot me a PM and I'll get you there.

Randy

Jeff and I will be in Helen this weekend to. But we're chasing toms not fishing.

Woody's Janitor

It's good if you take your own rock to stand on!

Deadline

Smith Creek above the Unicoi State Park lake is just a few minutes from Helen. They will be stocking pretty heavy up there before every weekend. Drive up to the first bridge. Easy access, picnic area, rest rooms, etc.

Glenn

You could always go to Unicoi state park and fish the lake for Bream and Bass or fish the upper part of Smiths Creek for trout.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Smith's Creek Is Catch And Realese This Time Of Year,single Barbless Hooks,no Live Or Scented Baits Allowed.

Glenn

I thought that was just the lower "Delayed Harvest" section that was closed?? :confused:

Sorry did not mean to give out false info....

Well you can still catch some fish at the lake in Unicoi :pop:

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Glenn The Part I'm Talking About Is From The Dam 2 Or 3 Miles Are Delayed Harvest

Deadline

Only the section of Smith's Creek below the Unicoi dam is DH. Everything above the lake is a seasonal open stream.

gofish07

if you fish the river in Helen, on a pretty weekend, you have to watch out for the green and pink tubes. I have never had a problem wading and catching fish with the tubers, but there are always a few that try to spoil the fishing.
a good spot to bank fish is in the picnic area below the flea market, next to the convenience store going up to unicoa. pull down where the river and the creek join. there is a deep pool that always holds alot of fish. I have always just used crickets and always come out with a limit.

Enjoy.

trickworm

trout fishin in helen

hey guys are they still writeing tickets for fishin above the flea market on the other side of the bridge ???????

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
The First Time I Fished Smith Creek After The Dh Started And It Was Open For Bait I Was Fishing Below A Walk Bridge About 10 Foot Off The Ground And This Woman Was Fishing From The Bridge. She Caught At Least A 20'' Rainbow And Tried To Reel It Up To The Bridge About The Time She Got It Half Way Ouy Of The Water Needless To Say The Line Snapped. Sometimes I Think God Made Some People Just So I Won't Look So Stupid. :rofl: :bounce:

whatman

don't fish any of the paved road above the flee market. it is a money market for white county.. $126.00 thank you please.