Trucks with hi lifts, shovels

j_seph

3512090_0.jpg

Lilly001

If you were in the Australian outback, or maybe in Alaska I can see a purpose for most of the things they carry on some of the Jeeps, but realistically in most of the lower 48 , the snorkel isn't needed, and on the vehicles that are snorkeled, they usually don't bother to extend the vent tubes for the differentials, or transmission up to the same level as the vent tube, so the first time they go underwater they've just introduced water to all three of those units, meaning at the minimum a service will be required almost immediately or failure of the transmission is imminent !

I have almost always driven a 4wd truck, or van that was off road capable, I've always carried a come a long, multiple tow straps, couple of folding shovels, bow saw, a jack of some sort, to get me out of a jam, and I've used all of them at some point in my travels, if not for myself then for someone else, but I've never needed a snorkel, its simply not smart to drive thru water that deep in a gas powered vehicle, which depends on electric impulses to fire the engine, if i were to build a vehicle to traverse deep water it would have to be a diesel.
When I used to track around the Ocala forest in Fl my jeeps often went through water high enough that a snorkel would have been nice. Instead I just prayed and hit the gas.
A couple cans of wd40 helped dry out the wires and I changed fluids often.
That was back when crawling under a keep was fun to me.

earlthegoat2

Here is my ride. I actually take it off road a few times a month. More often during hunting season. :cool:

As you can see, it is fully kitted out for any circumstance. The all-season tires even have about 40k on them so you know they are good for muddin.

A full tool kit is inside. Why would it need to be outside? Cooler? Inside. Dog? Inside. Jack? Inside.

The only thing that is outside is the spare tire and it on a proper rear mount secured vertical. Angled spares kill your cargo space.

You gotta keep the roof clear just in case you limit out on antlerless deers in one day.

851D672F-C2F6-42F2-AFF9-1417EA5CBE48.jpeg

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Snorkels help keep dust out of the engine. The main reason I would put one on my Tacoma. Toyota engineering thought putting the air intake in the fender well was smart. Not.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Picked up my 06 Rubicon yesterday from my Bud down towards Huntsville!!!!!! Swapped tires and turned a few wrenches and had a blast!!!!! Mine is the black on, Andy's new to him white one he picked up in Cleveland, Georgia this past week.
20221001_151445_copy_800x600.jpg

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Picked up my 06 Rubicon yesterday from my Bud down towards Huntsville!!!!!! Swapped tires and turned a few wrenches and had a blast!!!!! Mine is the black on, Andy's new to him white one he picked up in Cleveland, Georgia this past week.
View attachment 1180173
I worked at Marietta Dodge when the Rubicon first came out. I was a signature away from owning a new one almost at cost. I decided I didn't want a payment. I regret that just about every day.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Some of us that have those items actually go places where they come in handy to fish and hunt in very remote locations instead of just watching videos about doing it on YouTube. This particular Jeep has taken me on adventures in pretty much all the lower 48 (well at least travelled through them, some states just do not offer a lot of offroad and off grid adventures), with the only reason for not going to Alaska is that Canada was closed down when I had planned a trip to the NWT, the Yukon and Alaska.

Attachments

• 65507204_10211288573009043_8098707418441056256_n.jpg
    65507204_10211288573009043_8098707418441056256_n.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 36535773_10209264776335391_8117577035133485056_n.jpg
    36535773_10209264776335391_8117577035133485056_n.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 12
  • 65469838_10211283271436507_3350966104615813120_n.jpg
    65469838_10211283271436507_3350966104615813120_n.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 65529753_10211288569408953_6078022247379894272_n.jpg
    65529753_10211288569408953_6078022247379894272_n.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
he's got a snorkel, he thinks he can go that deep ! I bet he's camping in that mall parking lot !!!
LOL, snorkels are not for water crossings, they don't hurt with them, but they are for keeping dust out of your air filter. If you spend a whole lot of time on dusty dirt tracks, FS Roads and BLM roads out west you would soon want one too. Most air intakes are in are in your tire well, and if in dusty areas, you air filter will get clogged rather fast. There is a reason you see them on vehicles in Australia and Africa, especially in the arid areas....dust.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
If you were in the Australian outback, or maybe in Alaska I can see a purpose for most of the things they carry on some of the Jeeps, but realistically in most of the lower 48 , the snorkel isn't needed, and on the vehicles that are snorkeled, they usually don't bother to extend the vent tubes for the differentials, or transmission up to the same level as the vent tube, so the first time they go underwater they've just introduced water to all three of those units, meaning at the minimum a service will be required almost immediately or failure of the transmission is imminent !

I have almost always driven a 4wd truck, or van that was off road capable, I've always carried a come a long, multiple tow straps, couple of folding shovels, bow saw, a jack of some sort, to get me out of a jam, and I've used all of them at some point in my travels, if not for myself then for someone else, but I've never needed a snorkel, its simply not smart to drive thru water that deep in a gas powered vehicle, which depends on electric impulses to fire the engine, if i were to build a vehicle to traverse deep water it would have to be a diesel.
I have a snorkel and I have my diffs and trans vented and raised. Water is not why you get a snorkel, you get it to take in dust free air and it keeps you air filter clean. Snorkels are popular in the arid parts of Africa and Australia as well as out west for that reason. I can spend weeks at a time on dusty western BLM road, FS Trails and Roads and not have to clean my air filter once, it will still be relatively clean. As you know, most vehicles, to include Jeeps, have their air intakes in their tire wells and that can be a rather dust filled environment on many roads out west. It also brings in cooler air......

transfixer

I have a snorkel and I have my diffs and trans vented and raised. Water is not why you get a snorkel, you get it to take in dust free air and it keeps you air filter clean. Snorkels are popular in the arid parts of Africa and Australia as well as out west for that reason. I can spend weeks at a time on dusty western BLM road, FS Trails and Roads and not have to clean my air filter once, it will still be relatively clean. As you know, most vehicles, to include Jeeps, have their air intakes in their tire wells and that can be a rather dust filled environment on many roads out west. It also brings in cooler air......

True,, but dusty environments are not the only reason, and in fact for much of the southeastern states, water intrusion is the main reason, you can find multiple videos of people crossing streams , many of them up to the hood or over it,

I can't tell you how many vehicles I've raised the hood on to check out and find the remnants of muddy water on the intake manifold or on top of the battery :sneaky:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
True,, but dusty environments are not the only reason, and in fact for much of the southeastern states, water intrusion is the main reason, you can find multiple videos of people crossing streams , many of them up to the hood or over it,

I can't tell you how many vehicles I've raised the hood on to check out and find the remnants of muddy water on the intake manifold or on top of the battery :sneaky:
They are helpful for water, I cross water especially when in Florida, but I do it slow and try to avoid depths where it could get into my fuse box, etc....I spend a heck of a lot more time on dusty roads than I do crossing water though.