Turkey Help

I am new to Turkey hunting. Like others have posted recently in the thread I've done a ton of research etc. but kind of stuck right now. I am hunting on public land and have identified a spot that has had 1 hen walking around the last two times Ive been out there. The hen crosses a creek, walks up a steep ridge and that's all I ever see. She has made some quiet clucks and purrs here and there, but nothing very vocal. I have scouted a ton in the area, haven't heard any gobbles or seen any other birds. Should I keep going to the area that I have seen the hen? Should there be more birds in the area I am just missing? Or should I scout out some new spots.. I've sat there for a while and also done the "run and Gun" approach walking the trails through the woods and calling every 100 yds or so. Thanks for the feedback!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I agree with Mexican , I’m not gonna spend much time in a area unless I know a gobbler is around , good luck, it can be frustrating but oh so rewarding when it comes together

chrislibby88

One of my favorite tactics is picking high points on topo maps as listening points, and starting there before light just listening to see where birds are. The good ones are pretty open and have a road close, some are on a road. Pull up before first light, get out, walk to the point, or up the road 30 yards from your truck and just listen for 30-45 minutes. If you don’t hear anything give it a good while, let the owls and crows wake up, they will often get some stubborn birds going. If nothing is happening move to another spot and just listen, or strike out and scout some new country. You can always still hunt through a new area calling every 50-100 yards. Start quiet, then ramp it up if nothing answers. I do this often and occasionally strike random birds up, and I learn a lot of new areas.