Twofer Tuesday

splatek

UAEC
After opening weekend when I saw a reasonable amount of mountain game animals, the season has been slow. I’ve seen a deer here and there, but mostly just squirrels and one raccoon (that in hindsight I wished I’d sent an arrow through). I was getting so discouraged and was even skipping hunts. Tuesday I had made plans with the woman to hunt early morning. It’s something I don’t get to do often because I help with the one year old while she gets ready for work. Well Tuesday morning came…. And went… and I didn’t hunt. Then I checked some images on the cell cam and wouldn’t you know I had five deer and

E9A0BC4A-87A5-4458-82BE-1D064287CC3E.jpeg

When she saw that, She told me I had better go to the woods “or else!” So after dropping my one year old off at grandma and granddaddy’s house I made off for the hills.

After getting my stand on my back and my bow ready I started the downhill trek into the hunting area. About 250-300 yards in I heard something, but chalked it up to another acorn dropping on a hollow log. But something about that made me change my gait, both in speed and cadence. Every five to seven steps I’d attempt to make a turkey Yelp or whatever it’s called. Walked another 75 yards, turn toward a creek crossing and out hops a small bear. All alone. Eating acorns by the creek. We made eye contact at about 35-40 yards but she didn’t seem to mind me being there. Just kept eating. With the wind in my face, every time she bowed her head to eat I moved closer. And then closer. At twenty(ish) yards I took my stand off my back and readied my shooting tab. A few more steps and I was about 16 yards. Adrenaline high, I released an arrow that hit high. I had just killed my first black bear with my longbow (“the TBG spirit bow “). I didn’t revel in the moment long before I got to work breaking her down. I was alone and let my phone at the truck when I went to retrieve game bags. I’m bad at taking pictures in the field, but I did manage a head shot at the truck.

59434A92-BABC-4AEA-A4FE-E2CC97449001.jpeg

Having little confidence in the day, I had no ice in the cooler so I had to run to dollar general. By the time the whole ordeal was over it was about 3 p.m. I texted my woman to let her know about my success and also to let her know there was still plenty shooting light left for me to try and kill a deer or hog.

After returning from dollar general I grabbed my rifle, 30-06, and decided to make off for a finger ridge where I had spotted mature buck activity about this time last season. However, when I got to my spot it didn’t feel “right.” The strong west wind had changed to a strong east wind. It made me remember last season in this area when I had a strong East wind I bumped a good ten point out of a creek below me. So twenty minutes into the sit, I eased down the tree and started to slip my way to the creek. It was a quarter mile to the creek. I hadn’t walked forty yards along the creekside when I spotted a black blob moving in and out of some thick Laurel feeding on acorns. He would eat, munch munch , then sit down and sometimes even lay down. it didn’t appear I was going to get a good broadside shot, so I put down my stand and eased downstream and south of him to get a clear shot. He was laying down behind a big red oak trunk where I could only see his head. But I had a clear shot if he stood up and either took three steps right or left. On this particular day he walked left after the second step I exhaled, and in between breaths I squeezed the trigger sending the round 65-70 yards into the side of the bear. He ran about fifteen yards before looking like he had lost his balance and in another fifteen yards he was rolling down the side of the knob only to be stopped by a tree trunk. Death moan five to six times and he was done.

630E5924-43B1-485A-8E17-A5FD0DC134FC.jpeg

I took a deep breath. Not only had I just shot my second bear for the season, but I made a seemingly good 65-70 yard shot with no shooting rest. Standing. Not up against a tree, just up to my armpits in cane. I waited about ten minutes before walking over to him and poking him with the end of my barrel to confirm he was dead. But admittedly I only did this because I saw it on a hunting tv show. He was dead and I knew it. I texted/called a few buddies @jbogg @Sautee Ridgerunner @Buckman18 @twincedargap and @FMBear who were so very supportive b of the day I had. These guys are top notch mentors from which I’ve learned a lot in my three short years of hunting. Only @FMBear was able to come help pack out. So I walked out to the truck and awaited his arrival. What I didn’t realize I was going to get in addition to some top notch knife work, was a photo shoot. Fred is a super star when it comes to quartering and carrying meat and he’ll make you pose for pictures

39C752DE-D095-4E29-8DC7-8E577C6528FF.jpegE94DAD83-A80B-4298-9EAB-D702DC55314D.jpegDD6B3489-3D9F-4150-8C30-CBF4669F25DF.jpeg

one of my cell cams even caught the pack out

939A2EFE-7978-496C-8A56-94F319797A86.jpeg

It’s been a tough season and I was getting really discouraged. Second guessing everything from where to hunt to how to tie my boot laces. But I kept grinding. Kept reading maps; inquiring about Intel; talking to anyone that would listen; and kept going to the woods. Proverbs 12:27 reads “The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.” I am hard pressed to come up with a better quote that describes the feeling I had on this day.

Thanks for reading.

bowhunterdavid

So proud for you Stephen, To get two in one day and one with the long bow!! It don't get any better than that. The Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia are going to be very happy, and you got one with the spirit bow you got at the banquet this year. WOW MAN.

splatek

UAEC
Thanks guys, I owe a lot to this forum. Read everything. Asked everybody a question (or ten) and the guys on here were very helpful to this old newbie.

Got them bears all tagged up and processed today. Now, I gotta get after a mountain buck, but @jbogg told me @Sautee Ridgerunner tells guys where the bucks are, so I’ll be waiting for that message. In the meantime, the woman and the one year old are loving the bear.

See y’all in the woods.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Congratulations. Thanks for the great write up!