Ultralight/backpacking stove?

Tight Lines

Its great for power outages as well

Too bad most Coleman gear is now made in China
Coleman was a great company. They had factories in Wichita and I used to see Sheldon Coleman regularly when I lived there. He played in a band called The Fabulous Shirtheads. They had a store there that was like a museum which was pretty interesting. It has my grandfather's Coleman lantern in it. Once the hostile takeover happened by Sunbeam they went south fast. He lost control...sad, his grandfather and father ran it, and then he got distracted...

BeerThirty

Coleman was a great company. They had factories in Wichita and I used to see Sheldon Coleman regularly when I lived there. He played in a band called The Fabulous Shirtheads. They had a store there that was like a museum which was pretty interesting. It has my grandfather's Coleman lantern in it. Once the hostile takeover happened by Sunbeam they went south fast. He lost control...sad, his grandfather and father ran it, and then he got distracted...
I lived in Wichita after college. Never visited museum but did buy quite a few things from the Coleman factory sales.

But yeah, the old Coleman lanterns seem to just last. The new stuff, meh..

Tight Lines

I lived in Wichita after college. Never visited museum but did buy quite a few things from the Coleman factory sales.

But yeah, the old Coleman lanterns seem to just last. The new stuff, meh..
Yep I still have one that I bought at the Coleman Co. Store that was made in the USA and is a tank...bought it while at WSU for camping...so it must be 35+ years old...

NCMTNHunter

I use the MSR pocket rocket most of the year and the whisperlite universal on hunting trips where it is going to be cold. The whisper lets you run the gas bottle upside down so it will burn when it gets too cold for the gas to vaporize.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I use the MSR pocket rocket most of the year and the whisperlite universal on hunting trips where it is going to be cold. The whisper lets you run the gas bottle upside down so it will burn when it gets too cold for the gas to vaporize.
Nowadays, when it gets that cold, I just don't camp. Spent my time at it, though.

lampern

Got the Jetboil stove

It is very small and light.

Comes with a stand and carrying bag.

Need to get some fuel and try it out

lampern

MSR skillet on sale at Midway USA. Free ship with 49$ order

Redbow

If I were going backpack camping I would get the firebox stove from a man in Utah. He has video's on youtube, his stoves are fired by wood, small but they seem to work well.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If I were going backpack camping I would get the firebox stove from a man in Utah. He has video's on youtube, his stoves are fired by wood, small but they seem to work well.
It weighs about three pounds. You can do the same thing with a fire and four rocks.

killerv

I’ve used more expensive models like MSR and jet boil but if you’re an occasional user you could get by just fine with a knock off. I just picked up one of these for a backup and it’s pretty slick.

I backpack hunt and really like heating up a coffee and hot lunch in the middle of the day. Especially when it’s cold out.

Walmart has an ozark trail one for 12 bucks like that with a 1lb propane tank adapter if you want to use that instead of the butane mix. The coleman version is about 25ish

Robust Redhorse

Jetboil is the best, if ultimate lightweight is not your goal (but almost everything else is).

IMO, Primus or MSR is 2nd, but not as efficient as Jetboil.

In the 12 years that I served as a Scoutmaster (when Scouts were an organization that mattered anymore than "Dikes-On-Bikes"), I tried everything:

Coleman Fuel
Sterno
Solid Fuel (Esbit)
Alcohol (at least 10 different types)...
Propane...

Nothing even came close, to butane mixture stoves.

Shelter from outside wind always made a world of difference.