Ultralight/backpacking stove?

Artfuldodger

My daughter and me use those DIY beer can alcohol stoves. We only ever boil water though. We pour that over our meal in a plastic storage container in a coozie. Then eat it out of that. We use a Vietnamese pour over coffee thing for coffee.
I wouldn't mind getting one of those little one burner iso butane/propane stoves to replace my white gas stove for canoe camping.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
KS is spot on about intended use and dependence on it. If my stove won't fire, there's never a waffle house over a few miles walk and a couple gallons of truck gas away. Titanium mini less than an ounce.View attachment 1237706
View attachment 1237710
That's about the same size as my Soto. But, when it's folded out, you can cook on it in a good-sized frying pan.

This is at a backcountry campsite nearly eight miles in last year in the Smokies. The Jetboil beside it don't do frying pans good, mostly water pots:

trout.jpg

And still works well on the tailgate on fishing trips:

lunch4.jpg

Tight Lines

That's about the same size as my Soto. But, when it's folded out, you can cook on it in a good-sized frying pan.

This is at a backcountry campsite nearly eight miles in last year in the Smokies. The Jetboil beside it don't do frying pans good, mostly water pots:

View attachment 1238304

And still works well on the tailgate on fishing trips:

View attachment 1238306
Yep spot on...a little stable stove you can use multiple pots with...my MSR Windburner which is essentially a Jetboil is used only when I'm boiling water for coffee and dehydrated meals and not packing the pan kit...

Tight Lines

When I looked Jetboil brand made stoves for boiling water and then stoves for cooking.

I got this one because of free shipping and good reviews

There is no good or bad, just the one pot stoves are move for dehydrated food than a full menu of pots and pans...when I'm going light I take the single pot...if I am only going a few days and want more flexibility I take the multi pot...both work, just pros and cons...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Tight Lines

I doubt if there's a nickel's worth of difference between the top few brands.
Yep...Jetboil was the original single pot, then MSR copied it...MSR, Jetboil, Soto, Primus, Snowpeak all make great stoves...they don't stay in business and sell them if they don't work when called upon...

The knockoffs are cheaper, but I despise the Chinese knock-offs copying our innovation...and I can't speak to their quality...

Tight Lines

The fuel cannisters Wal Mart sells for these stoves is made in Korea

No US anymore
Seems strange to ship that from overseas...all fuel canisters are not created equal...I would stick with Jetboil or Snowpeak or MSR probably...there is probably a review on fuel too but I have not ever researched that...