Mobile Hunting Backpack

James12

How do you guys carry your sticks and platform? I need a new backpack…

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
How do you guys carry your sticks and platform? I need a new backpack…
Lots of options including, but not limited to, gear ties, Kydex J hook, or some other hook. I use an S type metal hook. It’s attached to a molle loop, on the backside of my saddle .…..pinched so it won’t come off. A small paracord loop on my platform and it rides behind me. I do usually put a hand on it to prevent swinging.
With multiple sticks, I preferred to have them stacked and hooked to my saddle on my strong side. Connect the first and tether in, then climb up and repeat. Problem with this scenario is what to do with your pack and bow. You can setup at the base and pull up your pack or bow, or both, or wear them on the way up. There are many ways to accomplish this, none of them do I find appealing. Maybe @dang has some insight? Regardless how you go up, rappelling down is the best way to go! Even with multiple sticks, it’s easier to remove them while hanging and working hands free.
I personally carry my one full size Hawk helium with a single step aider In hand. My bow is attached to my pack, platform hanging on saddle. At base of tree, all I have to do is attach my stick and tether in. Start climbing! If I move my stick 2 times, I’m plenty high enough most places. If I move it three times, I’m way up there!
I also used to try and set my platform level with top step, but was always cinching down on the strap or fought to avoid it. Now I set my platform like one more short step up.

BTW-welcome to the addiction!

dang

DANG !!!
Lots of options including, but not limited to, gear ties, Kydex J hook, or some other hook. I use an S type metal hook. It’s attached to a molle loop, on the backside of my saddle .…..pinched so it won’t come off. A small paracord loop on my platform and it rides behind me. I do usually put a hand on it to prevent swinging.
With multiple sticks, I preferred to have them stacked and hooked to my saddle on my strong side. Connect the first and tether in, then climb up and repeat. Problem with this scenario is what to do with your pack and bow. You can setup at the base and pull up your pack or bow, or both, or wear them on the way up. There are many ways to accomplish this, none of them do I find appealing. Maybe @dang has some insight? Regardless how you go up, rappelling down is the best way to go! Even with multiple sticks, it’s easier to remove them while hanging and working hands free.
I personally carry my one full size Hawk helium with a single step aider In hand. My bow is attached to my pack, platform hanging on saddle. At base of tree, all I have to do is attach my stick and tether in. Start climbing! If I move my stick 2 times, I’m plenty high enough most places. If I move it three times, I’m way up there!
I also used to try and set my platform level with top step, but was always cinching down on the strap or fought to avoid it. Now I set my platform like one more short step up.

I strap them straight to my pack. I use a frame pack with a 1800 sized bag. Platform & sticks both go on the outside. IMG_6682.jpeg

James12

Been hooked and clinging for many years - just switching up the carry-in backpack. Good info above though.

James12

That close, almost anything will do. If you were going further, I’d suggest something like a western style pack

Yea it’s not far, sometimes it’s even real “close”. Going to try and make it a little more compact. While I’ve used the XOP platform bc it’s roomy, it can be heavy.

deast1988

They strap to the stand

Attachments

• IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 36