**UPDATE** Don't buy aftermarket magazine extensions!!

krizia829

**UPDATE**
I decided to ship the gun to S&W as a precaution since it's my carry gun and turns out the gun has to be replaced due to the damage. Unfortunately for me, I have to pay for a replacement gun!! I understand that the issue had nothing to do with their manufacturing of the firearm, but the issue wasn't our fault either! Looks like issue was with the ammunition, not the base plates and now I gotta pay for it. So much for a great Warranty.. At least offer a different model without charge or something like I've seen other gun manufacturers do back when I sold guns.. This sucks.. I'm being offered a new Shield for $340 plus tax, shipping and ffl transfer/background check. Basically going to cost me $400! Angry is an understatement as to how I feel right now.. :cry:

------------------------------------------

On the third shot with my 9mm M&P Shield, the plastic on the lip of the mag extension broke, causing the spring to shoot out the bottom along with the remaining ammo! My husband said it felt like the gun blew apart in his hands from how hard it came out. Scary situation! I changed all of them back to the original mag base plates immediately! You can feel the tension when loading the magazine with that extension. The gun itself looks perfect thankfully. Now to find a replacement buttplate catch for this one....facepalm:

69189973597__B289222F-D45F-49CC-AD8E-82C8674D91F5 Small.jpegIMG_3276.JPGIMG_3279.JPGIMG_7823 Small.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

krizia829

What brand? The vickers tango down extensions on my G43 have been flawless for over 5 years now.
These are the Pachmyer brand if I'm not mistaken. I am glad it happened at the range and not in a self defense situation!

frankwright

If the magazine floorplate had come off the ammo would have just fallen to the ground. I have seen it numerous times in competion shooting.
If the magazine base plate and ammo were blown out that is what they are designed to do to protect the gun and the shooters hand.
It was most likely overcharged ammo or an out of battery detonation.
Better check it out!

krizia829

If the magazine floorplate had come off the ammo would have just fallen to the ground. I have seen it numerous times in competion shooting.
If the magazine base plate and ammo were blown out that is what they are designed to do to protect the gun and the shooters hand.
It was most likely overcharged ammo or an out of battery detonation.
Better check it out!
The lip where it slides into the magazine snapped on both ends when the gun was fired, causing the spring and ammo to obviously come out. It felt very, very tight getting it to lock in place when loading the gun with the slide closed (I never had that problem before). Even loading the rounds into the magazine felt much harder than with the factory floorplate. Too much spring tension I'm going to assume? Who knows. Just putting it out there for others to be cautious when buying anything that's not from factory

frankwright

krizia, I understand what you are saying but there is probably nothing wrong with those magazine base plates.
You said it felt like the gun exploded in your husband's hand. Something exploded in the gun causing the force to blow out the magazine. I have had it happen to me several times. Most of the time it will just blow the magazine out on the ground but the last time it blew the magazine apart and I never found the magazine spring.
Normally it is caused by a case loaded with two much powder or a weak case that blows out the side.
It can also happen when the gun fires before the slide is locked 100% forward.
I am suggested you check your ammo and have the gun looked at for your safety!

krizia829

krizia, I understand what you are saying but there is probably nothing wrong with those magazine base plates.
You said it felt like the gun exploded in your husband's hand. Something exploded in the gun causing the force to blow out the magazine. I have had it happen to me several times. Most of the time it will just blow the magazine out on the ground but the last time it blew the magazine apart and I never found the magazine spring.
Normally it is caused by a case loaded with two much powder or a weak case that blows out the side.
It can also happen when the gun fires before the slide is locked 100% forward.
I am suggested you check your ammo and have the gun looked at for your safety!
Yup! I see what you're saying! I was told the same thing earlier and that the issue may have also been that we had Winchester white box ammunition. From what we were told, there was some sort of recall I believe that I didn't know about and it was causing that problem on a lot of polymer framed guns like s&w, Glock, etc. I just got off the phone with s&w and they will do a formal inspection for me. I appreciate the info! :)

bighonkinjeep

I had a similar situation with factory assembled standard capacity magazines in a Taurus 945. Its indeed quite startling to the shooter and feels like " the mag exploded" when the floorplate lets go on the 1st round and the compressed spring comes.flying out followed by the ammo and follower suddenly making the gun much lighter instantly. Had this same thing happen with the T brand spare I had bought for $45 too shortly after the original mag let go. Neither one was ever right even when the floorplates.were.replaced "under.warranty" and along with 4 other T brand lemons the reasons I only have one left and will never buy another.

krizia829

I had a similar situation with factory assembled standard capacity magazines in a Taurus 945. Its indeed quite startling to the shooter and feels like " the mag exploded" when the floorplate lets go on the 1st round and the compressed spring comes.flying out followed by the ammo and follower suddenly making the gun much lighter instantly. Had this same thing happen with the T brand spare I had bought for $45 too shortly after the original mag let go. Neither one was ever right even when the floorplates.were.replaced "under.warranty" and along with 4 other T brand lemons the reasons I only have one left and will never buy another.
Jesus.. that's insane! I'm just glad it wasn't anything worse that happened!

krizia829

UPDATE ON ORIGINAL POST UP TOP

Dub

Same question as @FlipKing asked.....what specifically caused the incident ?

What is S&W saying the reason was...or where it was an owner fault issue ?

Tight Lines

I'd say the fact that they are selling you a new one at reasonable cost and no one was hurt is a win. I know if sucks to be out $400 and it isn't S&W's fault here. Your only recourse is the ammo manufacturer. What exactly happened that caused it? That's still unclear to me...

What brand and type of ammo was it?

Reactions: Dub

SC Hunter

If it was an ammo problem I'd have them put that in writing and forward it to the ammo company. It had nothing to do with the baseplate.

I'm also wondering where the damage took place and the specific cause of said damage.

Dub

If it was an ammo problem ....I would be talking to the ammo manufacturer... If S&W puts it in writing even better...
ammo issue, wasnt the mag plates. What ammo was it?
If it was an ammo problem I'd have them put that in writing and forward it to the ammo company. It had nothing to do with the baseplate.

I'm also wondering where the damage took place and the specific cause of said damage.

These gentlemen nailed it ^^^^^^^^^

Thankfully the mags failed as they did....allowing most of the pressure from venting out of the bottom and not blowing out other parts of the weapon.

The gun kept the shooters hand intact during this failure. @KS Bow Hunter stated it well.....S&W is not at fault here.

Last edited: