**UPDATE** Don't buy aftermarket magazine extensions!!

JeffinPTC

My son had a Kaboom in his HK45 using reloads bought from an estate. Same MO, mag bottom blown out, burnt hand though.
Sent to HK in Columbus on a Monday. Smith called Tuesday morning to verify shipping address. Delivered to PTC Wed.
Total cost, $155 for new lower, mag etc(2012, pre Firearmegeddon). HK has a lifetime Wty, but not for Kabooms.
Later he found a hairline crack in the lower of my Beretta PS4 compact. Sent to Accokeek. Took a month. That one was still under wty, but I think Beretta only warranties for a year.

Another important safety tip: Don't hold down the barrel of a wheel gun to reduce muzzle flip while testing 44 mag at max, esp over the gap. I just checked and the particles have finally worked their way out of my hand.

frankwright

I am sorry but I told you way back in the beginning of this post what the problem was and why it occured.
If you had told them you were using factory ammo,and given them the lot number I would insist they they replace the gun. Either S&W or Winchester should replace it.

krizia829

I still was unable to get a detailed response as to what exactly may have caused the problem. Based on what happened, it seems as though the ammunition is what may have caused it to blow the mag out like it did. I do not shoot reloads EVER from handguns for that reason. There is no other reason as to why this may have happened. I actually don't shoot it often, I never drop the gun either.

These were Winchester White Box 115Gr FMJ's. I do not have the lot number to provide to them so I'm out of luck basically. It is what it is.. I'm just thankful my husband didn't get hurt when it happened. Here's their response below. Thanks to all for your input!

Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 1.41.00 PM.png

krizia829

If the magazine floorplate had come off the ammo would have just fallen to the ground. I have seen it numerous times in competion shooting.
If the magazine base plate and ammo were blown out that is what they are designed to do to protect the gun and the shooters hand.
It was most likely overcharged ammo or an out of battery detonation.
Better check it out!

I am sorry but I told you way back in the beginning of this post what the problem was and why it occured.
If you had told them you were using factory ammo,and given them the lot number I would insist they they replace the gun. Either S&W or Winchester should replace it.
Yup I agree 100%! Unfortunately for me, I do not have the lot number for that box. I keep my ammo in the small plastic cases that people who reload use. It just fits better in my bag but hey, things happen and that's how you learn which is why I share these things on here. Thank you for your input!

krizia829

many of us reloaders drop a card with load info on it in those boxes. It may be a good idea for you in the future to drop the lot info tab into yours
That's not a bad idea! I will do that for sure next time I go get some. Thanks!

Reactions: Dub

trial&error

I'm not a S&W fan, not knocking there products by any means, just saying I'm not versed very well with them. But it doesn't really sound like they're doing you right. I opened an email today from kygunsales and they are selling the shield ez, shield plus, and even the 2.0 (w/ laser) all for under $350 new that does include a rebate from S&W to get them down to that price. Just my thoughts doesn't seem like they are really helping.

buckpasser

I'm not a S&W fan, not knocking there products by any means, just saying I'm not versed very well with them. But it doesn't really sound like they're doing you right. I opened an email today from kygunsales and they are selling the shield ez, shield plus, and even the 2.0 (w/ laser) all for under $350 new that does include a rebate from S&W to get them down to that price. Just my thoughts doesn't seem like they are really helping.

They’re using the old saying “If I’m keeping score, I win”.

longrangedog

Cleaning a S&W Model 38 (might have the model number wrong) air weight shrouded hammer and noticed a white line in the frame around the forcing cone. Sent it to S&W where they announced cracked frame- not repairable. Since the revolver was no longer in production they replaced it with a model 637. My mod. 38 replacement warranty was just a few months from expiring. All I have left is the grips.

Adam5

It’s not the first time I’ve seen Winchester White Box damage a gun. I quit using it years ago because it was too inconsistent. Load a mag, start shooting, one goes bang, the next goes pop, the next goes bang, one kinda poofs. You could feel the difference round to round.

krizia829

I may have missed it but what did the ammo do? Case rupture? Out of battery rupture? Blown primer?
I do not have an official answer from S&W other than it was not a manufacturer defect. Only other option would be the ammo. They deemed my gun inoperable and are replacing it. They are unable to tell what exactly caused it to happen as everything is to manufacturer specifications. I have no other reason for it to have happened. I always keep my guns clean, oiled and I don't mistreat it or drop it or anything so it beats me..

krizia829

It’s not the first time I’ve seen Winchester White Box damage a gun. I quit using it years ago because it was too inconsistent. Load a mag, start shooting, one goes bang, the next goes pop, the next goes bang, one kinda poofs. You could feel the difference round to round.
I'm getting rid of the remaining rounds I have. I'll go back to the Remington umc's or the brass case Blazer rounds I used to shoot.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I do not have an official answer from S&W other than it was not a manufacturer defect. Only other option would be the ammo. They deemed my gun inoperable and are replacing it. They are unable to tell what exactly caused it to happen as everything is to manufacturer specifications. I have no other reason for it to have happened. I always keep my guns clean, oiled and I don't mistreat it or drop it or anything so it beats me..
Thanks for the reply.
I was wondering if you found a ruptured case laying among the contents of blown out mag? Or find a case with a blown or missing primer. Something had to give in order for the energy to be sent rearward and not out the barrel.

It is working my brain and it isn't even my gun, lololol.

krizia829

Thanks for the reply.
I was wondering if you found a ruptured case laying among the contents of blown out mag? Or find a case with a blown or missing primer. Something had to give in order for the energy to be sent rearward and not out the barrel.

It is working my brain and it isn't even my gun, lololol.
lol! No.. unfortunately I did not see it. The floor was full of casings and I was not sure which one was the one that was fired last. I wish I would've found it to contact Winchester. I'm so bummed but I'm glad nothing happened to my husband when he fired it! He's worked at a gun range for almost 13 years and he has never seen it happen to anyone. He was pretty shook up

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
lol! No.. unfortunately I did not see it. The floor was full of casings and I was not sure which one was the one that was fired last. I wish I would've found it to contact Winchester. I'm so bummed but I'm glad nothing happened to my husband when he fired it! He's worked at a gun range for almost 13 years and he has never seen it happen to anyone. He was pretty shook up
Something like that happening would definately wake a person and shake a person. Glad to hear that nobody was injured.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I was thinking this ^^^ too. I just picked up the shield in 9mm with the laser. I have 2 shields. I have only had 2 ammo issues ever and once it was Winchester 22 mag casings splitting, then getting stuck in my Marlin. I’ll never buy Winchester ammo in any colored box, ever.

Sucks y’all had to go through this kriz…..glad everyone is okay though

krizia829

I was thinking this ^^^ too. I just picked up the shield in 9mm with the laser. I have 2 shields. I have only had 2 ammo issues ever and once it was Winchester 22 mag casings splitting, then getting stuck in my Marlin. I’ll never buy Winchester ammo in any colored box, ever.

Sucks y’all had to go through this kriz…..glad everyone is okay though
Thanks! Really stinks.. My replacement comes in on Wednesday as well as my new shotgun I ordered. At least I'll be leaving the gun shop with 2 new guns :banana:I also will not buy anymore Winchester ammunition..

Gator89

I do not shoot reloads EVER from handguns for that reason. There is no other reason as to why this may have happened. I actually don't shoot it often, I never drop the gun either.

The rule is never shoot ammo reloaded by someone you don't trust with your life.

I reload my own plinking/practice revolver ammo for my 38's 44's and 45's. Even setup to reload 9mm. 38 super and 45 ACP.

I could not afford to shoot my 45 Colts and 44 Specials if I could not reload for them.

I trust myself with my life.