US GI 1911 Colt1944 model. Questions

Darien1

I found a US GI Colt 1911 made in 1944, marked Property of USA and I think it had US Army on it too. The gun had been refinished in a bright blue and was sporting target sights which makes me think maybe the slide had been replaced. It was also wearing faux pearl or ivory grips. The guy said he would sell it to me for $1000 otd. I was just wondering if the alterations that were made to it would hurt the value seriously. I know those things go for several thousand dollars. So if you are knowledgible about these guns please give me some guidance.

lampern

A number of US military 1911 pistols were modified into target guns over the years.

Might be one of those?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If it WAS a military issue, it AIN'T no more. Any historical collector value is gone.

That gun ain't worth no $1000.

Maybe $500-600, if it's nice looking and runs good.

The problem with it is that in 70 years, NOBODY knows what's been done to it.

Proceed with a good measure of caution.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
That sounds a lot like one of the CMP's range-grade 1911's. Believe it or not, plenty of people paid $1,100 for them during the last run of CMP 1911's. It could also just be one that someone had modified on their own.

In either, case, I don't think it's worth the $1,000.

Robert28

That sounds a lot like one of the CMP's range-grade 1911's. Believe it or not, plenty of people paid $1,100 for them during the last run of CMP 1911's. It could also just be one that someone had modified on their own.

In either, case, I don't think it's worth the $1,000.
I’d pay that for a CMP simply because I know where it came from and the parts were legit. You aren’t buying condition with those as much as you are the story of them “been there, done that” and you know it’s true.

Lilly001

If it’s a govt ww2 frame in reasonable shape I would buy it.
They are not making any more.
Try to talk him down as it’s just an average shooter. But, to me, the value is in the frame.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I’d pay that for a CMP simply because I know where it came from and the parts were legit. You aren’t buying condition with those as much as you are the story of them “been there, done that” and you know it’s true.
I believe I'm letting my inner cheapskate show by my last comment... :)

It's without a doubt worth more if it's a CMP, and I supposed provenance would be pretty simple. So I'd venture that it's worth that if you were after one.