USPS Scam ....

madsam

Received a text that USPS was having trouble verifying my address and etc. for a
delivery ...I knew that I have never had trouble in the past and so I ignored it...Sunday
evening I received a text saying that the orignal text asking for address verification
was fraudulent/scam. The USPS text was official looking and came with a tracking
number .... Make sure to double check if you receive a text asking to verify your
delivery info .........

ryanh487

USPS will not text you
Netflix will not text you
Amazon will not text you
FedEx will not text you
Ups will not text you

No text notifications like that are legit. Do not click the links. If you get one for fraud that you think *might* be from your bank or credit card company, do not follow the link. Log in to your online account or call the number on the back of your card to check and see if there really is a fraudulent transaction they're flagging.

oldfella1962

USPS will not text you
Netflix will not text you
Amazon will not text you
FedEx will not text you
Ups will not text you

No text notifications like that are legit. Do not click the links. If you get one for fraud that you think *might* be from your bank or credit card company, do not follow the link. Log in to your online account or call the number on the back of your card to check and see if there really is a fraudulent transaction they're flagging.
Here's a classic: I got a phone call on my cell phone while at work from somebody with an Indian accent (surprise surprise) and they said that the FBI had my house surrounded and I had to give them some kind of information or they would arrest me. :LOL: Sorry Apu, the FBI/SWAT/DEA and other alphabet folks generally (not a hard & fast rule of course) kind of start kicking rear-end & taking names before you even know what's going on.

ryanh487

Here's a classic: I got a phone call on my cell phone while at work from somebody with an Indian accent (surprise surprise) and they said that the FBI had my house surrounded and I had to give them some kind of information or they would arrest me. :LOL: Sorry Apu, the FBI/SWAT/DEA and other alphabet folks generally (not a hard & fast rule of course) kind of start kicking rear-end & taking names before you even know what's going on.
My coworker got a call from an Asian woman claiming the DEA had recovered his vehicle in Texas with 10 kilos of cocaine in the trunk and told him if he didn't pay a $10,000 fine he would be arrested. He asked her where the car was because he'd been looking for that. She got flustered and doubled down so he said he always had a thing for Asian girls and asked what she was wearing. she hung up

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Now I got a letter from my retirement account on Saturday saying the USPS had returned some correspondence stating the address was wrong. They and I've checked and the letter from them is legit.

earlthegoat2

When the car warranty people call, I ask them what vehicle is it about.

That usually elicits a long enough silence for me to hang up.

Headshot

If I am not expecting an e-mail from a company that I just ordered an item from .....I delete it. (USPS / Amazon / Ebay / etc.)

GeorgiaBob

For some reason my phone number got around to a bunch of scammers. I get a threat/warning/warranty/special offer/prize call every few weeks. I finally just got tired of the calls (most spoof a local area code) and started messing with them.

If I have time to talk, I try to keep them on the phone as long as possible. When I offered to take care of their problems with their family by visiting their home with my explosives team, the scammers hung up too fast. I tried "interviewing" them but the also hang up too fast. And they hang up real fast when I answer, "Field office, officer Johns speaking."

I have changed to trying to sell them a new computer program that can hack any bank operating system. I do try a slow buildup, with mild criticism of their pitch and "helpful" changes. I kept one Mombasa resident on the phone for 11 minutes before he figured out I wasn't one of the Aussie bosses of a computer shop across town from him!

If I don't have time, I just blow a very high pitched whistle and hang up.

Toliver

When the car warranty people call, I ask them what vehicle is it about.

That usually elicits a long enough silence for me to hang up.
Before I retired, I would get these on my desk phone. I let them go through their whole pitch and then told them I had about 700 vehicles in my police fleet so they'd have to be more specific. Always the "click" after that.

Jdmb123

This goes for any emails or texts. Actually open the contact to look at the sender. If it says anything like amazona14&linda/ab@283cooking.com it’s a scam. Was fishing the other day and mom called saying the bank was texting her. No mother It’s a scam.

oldfella1962

My coworker got a call from an Asian woman claiming the DEA had recovered his vehicle in Texas with 10 kilos of cocaine in the trunk and told him if he didn't pay a $10,000 fine he would be arrested. He asked her where the car was because he'd been looking for that. She got flustered and doubled down so he said he always had a thing for Asian girls and asked what she was wearing. she hung up
:LOL: I would love to hear that recording.