Utility trailer maintenance

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Ok, I know this is the deer hunting forum. Almost all deer hunters have at least one utility trailer. Some of us have 2 or more.
I am planning to repack wheel bearings on my 16 ft trailer tomorrow. It got me wondering about what sort of maintenance program y’all have for your trailer.

Let’s hear about tire, tail lights, bearings, hitches, etc. maintenance you are doing. How often.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Sometimes I wish I was mechanically inclined so I could do this type of stuff. Other times when I am sitting around with my feet propped up in the shade watching someone else work I am happy that I am not mechanically inclined.

Looking forward to the replies Marvin. Good thread

reflexman

Snake Dodger
Check tires and as said above repack bearings cover tires if they’re in direct sunlight.Nothing worse than a dry rotted tire with tons of tread.And last but not least go through the frame of the trailer look for cracks in the welds etc. I had a trailer almost come apart on me when weld broke going over the Jacksonville bridge fun stuff for everybody.

SC Hunter

Sometimes I wish I was mechanically inclined so I could do this type of stuff. Other times when I am sitting around with my feet propped up in the shade watching someone else work I am happy that I am not mechanically inclined.

Looking forward to the replies Marvin. Good thread
Samsies!! I can pack wheel bearing and change bulbs and such but otherwise I'm useless. I can sit there and drink beer while somebody else does it though.

Matthewmathis8

I have one of those bearing buddy deals that you fill with grease and put it in a vice and squeeze it to press grease into the bearing. Very handy item and will put so much grease into a bearing that it will almost double the weight of it.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Trailer maintenance is a lot easier than fixing it on the roadside.
I check a trailer nearly every pull. Especially the locking pin is number one.
A hub will last forever if it’s greased.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I clean and repack the wheel bearings on my boat trailers and utility trailers every other year, and do a visual overall inspection on all of them before every use.

Stumpsitter

I'm fanatical about trailer maint. I put 1800 miles a month on my 20 footer. Bearings are easy. Grease. Grease and grease some more.once a month at a minimum. Most trailers have electric breaks that work off of your hitch and ball for the electrical ground. Wire wheel your ball and inside your hitch for proper brake and light functions. Keep them rust free. Spray inside hitch with wd 40 .

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I travel with a floor jack and impact wrench. I can change a tire faster than nascar, well almost.

My sweetheart got me a really strong Hitachi cordless 1/2 inch impact wrench. That thing is worth its weight in gold.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I won’t pull a trailer without a good spare tire.

Lilly001

You wait until it breaks down before doing anything??
Not always, but I have six trailers. And I've had more.
Keeping up with them all when I might go a couple month before using one sometimes gets out of hand.
Add in 2 tractors, a couple boats, a utv and an atv plus a gaggle of implements and it can become a full time job.
Two trucks, two cars, and then all of the shop machines.
I often feel like a one armed wall paper hanger.
I'm sure glad I'm retired.
(This is also between two farms, one in Fl and one in Ga.)