Utility trailer question(s)

Robert28

I need to pickup a new utility trailer but haven’t decided on size yet. Had a 5x10 for years but I wish I had a larger trailer at times, but it was easily maneuverable when I had to move it or turn in a tight spot. I thought maybe step up to a 6x10 or 6x12 but hadn’t decided which way to go yet. I want to fit a 60” mower on the trailer and that’ll be the biggest thing I carry. Does anyone have an opinion on raised mesh sides vs without? I’ve never had one with them but thought it would come in handy sometimes.

Gator89

If you ever plan to haul a UTV, get a 12 footer.

Even mesh sides increase wind drag.

I vote no mesh sides, stand up some ply wood for temporary sides when needed.

Also, get a tubing or pipe trailer, many angle iron trailers are too lightly built.

transfixer

I started out with a 5x8 a long time ago, then built a 5x10, then bought a 6x12, I now have a 6 1/2x16, I don't like mesh sides, I needed the 16 footer so I could carry my atv and my golf cart at the same time, with room for a cooler behind them, but for most uses a 6x12 will be just fine, although if you can find one I'd go 7x12 instead, the extra width will come in handy more than you realize

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have a 6.5 x 14 that works great. Room for golf cart and a few feet for other stuff.
Did you buy one 2 years ago when you asked?

Robert28

I have a 6.5 x 14 that works great. Room for golf cart and a few feet for other stuff.
Did you buy one 2 years ago when you asked?
No. I ended up waiting, that was back when trailers were hard to come by and supply was non-existent. So I held off. Supply finally seems to be leveling out but prices sure haven’t.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
No. I ended up waiting, that was back when trailers were hard to come by and supply was non-existent. So I held off. Supply finally seems to be leveling out but prices sure haven’t.

There’s a link to your 2021 thread below if you want to read it again.

MOTS

I just bought one last week. It's a 6.5 X 10, Down2Earth brand. It has the angle side rails which I myself prefer. I have the Gorilla lift, just hadn't got around to installing itIMG_4870.JPG

trial&error

My home made one I used 5/4 decking boards screwed to the uprights. I left room to slide tie downs through so I have plenty of places to tie things down with varying heights.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
My friend is also looking for one. Can’t imagine buying from a big box store, but this one is in front of Cabela’s. Looked like the side rails fold out to make it wider. I sent him these pictures but he wants a bigger one too..

2220A9C2-6E98-402C-B629-97AB853FD53B.jpeg375E4FD1-3CDD-4311-9ACA-C4E3D039638C.jpegFFC4E727-9C58-4AA0-BA49-C1DF70829181.jpeg

Sorry for the sideways pix

K80Shooter

The 6x12 or 6x10 will be easier to back as you will be able to see it better. This is assuming that you use your side mirrors to back up rather than your rear view mirror.

MOTS

My friend is also looking for one. Can’t imagine buying from a big box store, but this one is in front of Cabela’s. Looked like the side rails fold out to make it wider. I sent him these pictures but he wants a bigger one too..

View attachment 1228264View attachment 1228265View attachment 1228266

That's a pitiful looking trailer right there! Never seen so many nuts and bolts holding one together. Never seen expanded metal that thin. Terrible tailgate bracing! I paid far less than that for the 6.5 X 10 I posted in this thread.

bullgator

I need to pickup a new utility trailer but haven’t decided on size yet. Had a 5x10 for years but I wish I had a larger trailer at times, but it was easily maneuverable when I had to move it or turn in a tight spot. I thought maybe step up to a 6x10 or 6x12 but hadn’t decided which way to go yet. I want to fit a 60” mower on the trailer and that’ll be the biggest thing I carry. Does anyone have an opinion on raised mesh sides vs without? I’ve never had one with them but thought it would come in handy sometimes.
Mesh sides allow for things like loose bulk mulch to stay in place. Also, small items that get loose could roll off without mesh.

Jim Baker

Staff member

View attachment 1228264View attachment 1228265View attachment 1228266

looks like the rails from the hitch are butt welded to front rail of frame. If they do not extend to the undercarriage I would look elsewhere.

DannyW

looks like the rails from the hitch are butt welded to front rail of frame. If they do not extend to the undercarriage I would look elsewhere.

This^^^

I bought one about 25 years ago from Tow Pro in Duluth for this very reason. The rails extend under the frame and are welded onto the side rails of the trailer bed about 3-4 feet back. Makes the trailer MUCH sturdier.

Not sure if Tow Pro still builds their frames like that but they would be the 1st place I'd go look.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
You will regret buying too small WAY more than you will regret buying “too big”