Vacuum Sealer

kmaxwell3

I need another vacuum sealer. The one I had for last 10 years stopped working. It was never that great to begin with. Any suggestions?

ebryant

My over 5 year old food saver brand quit. I called food saver to see if they could diagnois the issue and maybe send me parts. gave them the model # and was told the warranty ran out about one month ago. She put me on hold and after a few minutes she said they were sending me a new one with a 5 year warranty Its a lot nicer than the old one.

menhadenman

Chamber sealer is the way to go if you put up a lot of fish and critters. They’ll run you a pretty penny ($500+) but I’m glad I bit the bullet after burning up a few food savers.

If that’s not in the cards, LEM and Meat your maker have some nice vacuum sealers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a $99 Foodsaver. Bought it after wearing another one like it out after about seven years. I use mine A LOT. Like DAILY. I've put up I don't know how much deer, hogs, fish, and stuff with it. Tons, literally, not to mention regular food and groceries. It does everything I need just fine, Works great, simple and easy to use, keeps food great for years, and the bags and rolls are easily available and cheap when I buy them in bulk from Amazon. I would buy the same unit again, definitely.

specialk

I have a $99 Foodsaver. Bought it after wearing another one like it out after about seven years. I use mine A LOT. Like DAILY. I've put up I don't know how much deer, hogs, fish, and stuff with it. Tons, literally, not to mention regular food and groceries. It does everything I need just fine, Works great, simple and easy to use, keeps food great for years, and the bags and rolls are easily available and cheap when I buy them in bulk from Amazon. I would buy the same unit again, definitely.

i've gotten my $$$ worth out of my foodsaver if it gives up tomorrow.....i can use seal the 1 gallon re-usable bags with mine as well, which i use almost exclusively....

B. White

Best I remember from my shopping around several years ago, suction sealers were a lot cheaper than chamber sealers but I could get bags for the chamber sealer a lot cheaper. Chamber sealers seemed to handle things with more liquid better.

In the end it made more sense for us to go with the Vacmaster. It didn't take too long to recover the price difference with the volume of bags we use for garden, meat, fish and other uses, but I haven't compared prices lately so that may have changed. I think the most common size bag we use was $38 per thousand including shipping and tax when I bought some a few weeks ago. If I was just going to package a couple of deer a year and use with some leftovers then it may have made more sense to go with the suction sealer.

This place has good quality bags for both and the lady that owns the place was quick to answer any questions I had when I was shopping.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the only issue I have with my Foodsaver vac is that it takes too long for it to be ready to seal another bag when we are putting up garden stuff. It has to cool off the sealing element, and that slows me down

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
the only issue I have with my Foodsaver vac is that it takes too long for it to be ready to seal another bag when we are putting up garden stuff. It has to cool off the sealing element, and that slows me down
I've never had an issue with either of mine with that.

B. White

That was another thing I forgot when comparing. I'll be bagging while she seals. It takes 20-30 secs to complete the cycle with the settings we use, but she can do a hundred non-stop with nothing getting hot.

She was OCD about wiping the inside of the bag with a paper towel to remove any moisture the first year and wanted to weigh and mark everything perfectly. Not very fast. I made her watch me use a solo cup with the bottom cut out as a funnel when I bagged two deer and didn't wipe or weigh. All bags sealed good and she weighed some afterwards and they were all about 1.1 lbs with very little variation, since I grabbed the same amount of handful every time. It was 2-3 times faster than what she was doing, so she is slowly coming around.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
After wearing out a couple of good vacuum sealers I went with a LEM MaxVac Pro plus chamber sealer. It’s well worth it if you vac seal regularly.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Same here and I use mine all the time but I'm OK with that. I'm not in the wholesale bidness. Retail either.

Just vac sealed and froze up a big pot of vegetable soup last night.

Last edited:

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’m in the food saver brand vacuum sealer doesn’t last category. We’re on our third one in about 8 years, typically only use it for deer season. Used the cheaper sealer on up to the pricier ones, they just haven’t lasted. Looking hard at a chamber sealer, I’ll check out those listed here.

Knotmuch

I want to know how you can vacuum seal soup or other liquids. When I put up sausage or HB the sealer sucks the moisture out.

DannyW

I've had a Nesco VS-12 for two years and like it. Wore out a couple of cheaper brands before that.
Another vote for the Nesco VS-12. I have used one for about 3 years with no real issues.

I burned up two Foodsavers in about 3-4 years. Course, that was in the early days of food sealers (1990-ish?). Probably a totally different machine now.

That Nesco sells for around $100-120.

specialk

I want to know how you can vacuum seal soup or other liquids. When I put up sausage or HB the sealer sucks the moisture out.
search youtube videos for ''vacuum sealing soups''.....

Mauser

Vacmaster vp215 is what I’ve been using for 5 or 6 years. Got tired of waiting on foodsaver to cool down between seals.