Varner???

taylornelms

GONetwork Member
Where is this lake in relation to Atlanta? Even better how far is it from Newnan. Also is a 12 foot jon boat witha trolling motor good enough on a nice day. I dontw ant to sink i have read a few links where this has happened that doesnt sound fun to me. Thanks in advance. Also anyone been catching anything in Horton??

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
varner is in covington, not far off of I-20. on alcovy rd. a 12' jon will work, but if they are calling for wind I would think twice about going there. the lake has a lot of open fields around it. theres not alot of trees to break the wind.

bukhuntr

Stay away Saturday that's for sure. I was on the front deck of my 14' last Saturday when a strong gust his us and we were about 1 inch from taking water over the side. There are not many places to get out of the wind on Varner. It always seems to blow straight down the lake. One motor is fine on a nice day, however last Saturday with the winds, I had my front trolling motor on high, and at one point, I was going backwards. Make sure you have plenty of batteries.

Randall

Horton

If you go to Horton launch off the ramp on the right going in. Go toward the back to the right where the road crosses the lake. Just sit in the middle of this area and cast all around you with jerkbaits and rattletraps. You will catch more jackfish than bass but there should be plenty of bass there.Start about 100 yards from the road and work your way back to the road. I wouldnt go to Horton this weekend either though. Wind gusts to 45-50mph Saturday.

Hunk

great lake... I went out there in a 10' bass boat and got very nervous on the way back with the high winds... I almost went to just run the shoreline all the way back it was so bad... just be careful .