Vintage gun for duck hunting.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I have been on a side x side kick for about a decade now. About a month ago I picked up an old L. C. Smith Field Grade 12 Gauge with 28 inch barrels and choked Full and Mod., it was manufactured in 1937 and I am thinking about using it for shooting ducks. I was wondering about the modern non-toxic shot out there now. I have read where a lot of people (well at least those who love SxS guns) are hunting with vintage shotguns now. I was curious as to whether anyone on here does, and if you do, what shells do you use? I could care less about the a full bag, at my age, I hunt more for tradition than anything else...heck, I wear a neck tie when I hunt and will do so when I hunt ducks, at least once in my life. The reason I ask, when the law started to require non-toxic shot Full Choke was a no no with steel..so all my duck guns are modern with screw in chokes. But I would like to hunt ducks a couple of times with my old Elsie. The photo is how I dress to hunt now...I was going snipe hunting when the photo was taken. This shotgun by the way is a Beretta Silver Hawk 20 Gauge manufactured in 1961.
57503130_10210930225690584_2642406765471203328_n.jpg

Last edited:

Donal

Look on the barrels top, near the chamber, Hunter arms should stamped on one and Ordnance steel or alloy should be stamped on the other barrel.
I recently repaired a broken stock on one mfg in 1904. Awesome feel and swing to it.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Have a friend that shoots a sXs for wood ducks and woodcock with bismuth. 2 3/4 six for woodcock and 2 3/4 3 shot for wood ducks. Make sure it is 2 3/4 and not 2 1/2.
Tradition is something we should hold closer to. Brings a respect for the process and wildlife.

FOLES55

Just need some leather boots now!Like the style.

Uptonongood

My experience with bismuth was "wow"! It smacks birds like lead and I mean it knocks them down. I shot geese in Canada with it and I was just amazed with it. The downside is the expense. If you are only planning on a limited amount of waterfowl shooting, go with bismuth.

You sure don’t need to run steel through an older gun back when the law changed I saw allot of paper thin barrels after shooting steel for a very short time

smoothie

The heavyshot classic doubles is garbage. I like to shoot Kent's bismuth shells in my doubles. Boss are fine. Check the chambers for the proper shell length. The two mentioned should be 2 3/4 which is perfect. If you need 2 1/2" shells I would contact RST shells and order from them. They offer low pressure loads for older guns and Damascus barreled guns. I'm in south GA and all I hunt with are doubles now. They just feel right

Jim Boswell

I do all my waterfowling over the past few years with classic doubles. I reload my own bismuth 2 3/4 shells and use #2 & #4 shot from RotoMetals. Drops Geese and Ducks like the old lead days.

Uptonongood

I shot 20ga bismuth and it is amazing stuff. It whacks birds like the lead we used to use so many years ago. I even doubled on a pair of honkers that came into our duck spread in Canada years back. I would imagine 12ga loads to be even more lethal.

I love the traditional hunting thing, looking forward to your reports.