Warwoman Bonus Hunt Dec 1-4

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Nice! I’m not gonna be there, but I just saw a Pinelog hunt that starts on Wednesday which is my day off, so I think I’ll be there this time.

Good luck and take the blessings that fall your way!

P6smSKC

The pinelog hunt that starts in a couple weeks right? I’m off too and I’m going to make sure to be there.. the DNR told us on the Pinelog hunt a couple weeks ago that the state tried to buy the land and the owners said no. So this next hunt will likely be the last time we get to hunt it. I hear it’s going to be a rock quarry and some neighborhoods.

AllTerrainAngler

Nice! I’m not gonna be there, but I just saw a Pinelog hunt that starts on Wednesday which is my day off, so I think I’ll be there this time.

Good luck and take the blessings that fall your way!
Good luck on your hunt! This is my first time trying to hunt up in the mountains so it should be interesting. I’m carrying a daypack and going to try and find some harder to access areas so I don’t ruin anyone’s hunt.

chrislibby88

Good luck on your hunt! This is my first time trying to hunt up in the mountains so it should be interesting. I’m carrying a daypack and going to try and find some harder to access areas so I don’t ruin anyone’s hunt.
If you aren’t afraid of climbing you shouldn’t have trouble getting away from folks. Carry a GPS/phone nav app, plenty of water, and layers. Good luck!

AllTerrainAngler

If you aren’t afraid of climbing you shouldn’t have trouble getting away from folks. Carry a GPS/phone nav app, plenty of water, and layers. Good luck!
I downloaded offline maps on my Phone/iPad. Have 2 backup batteries and a daypack. Should be a fun trip. Sneaking the fly rod in my pack also.

Jimmack

I downloaded offline maps on my Phone/iPad. Have 2 backup batteries and a daypack. Should be a fun trip. Sneaking the fly rod in my pack also
If I was you I would get onX hunt at your phones App store. It was invaluable to me on my hunt and works perfectly even without phone service. I carried a topo map and compass just in case but I really just used the App.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
The pinelog hunt that starts in a couple weeks right? I’m off too and I’m going to make sure to be there.. the DNR told us on the Pinelog hunt a couple weeks ago that the state tried to buy the land and the owners said no. So this next hunt will likely be the last time we get to hunt it. I hear it’s going to be a rock quarry and some neighborhoods.
I heard Amazon bought it. I have no idea but I doubt the state could match a private offer. I have a friend who’s house backs up to Pinelog and his parents just bought it a few years ago. It’ll be a sad day when we lose it!
The Pinelog hunt is 14-17, so yeah, 2 weeks away! I’m not sure where to go, but if East valley gate is closed, I’ll probably go in there.

AllTerrainAngler

If I was you I would get onX hunt at your phones App store. It was invaluable to me on my hunt and works perfectly even without phone service. I carried a topo map and compass just in case but I really just used the App.
That’s where I get them. That and the GOHUNT app.

AllTerrainAngler

I actually found a pretty solid spot just playing on the app. The cabin we are staying in borders NF land. The property line into warwoman is about a .5 mile hike in. There’s no access roads anywhere for miles.

Jimmack

I actually found a pretty solid spot just playing on the app. The cabin we are staying in borders NF land. The property line into warwoman is about a .5 mile hike in. There’s no access roads anywhere for miles.
Right on! Hopefully you’ll have a great hunt. I was tempted to drive up this weekend but one of my coworkers is out for the foreseeable future so no can do.

AllTerrainAngler

Right on! Hopefully you’ll have a great hunt. I was tempted to drive up this weekend but one of my coworkers is out for the foreseeable future so no can do.
I honestly didn't know anything about the hunt until I was scouting trout streams. Saw the WMA and googled it. I typically skip out on N. Ga and go to Western NC for fishing.

Jimmack

I honestly didn't know anything about the hunt until I was scouting trout streams. Saw the WMA and googled it. I typically skip out on N. Ga and go to Western NC for fishing.
I went hunting in the NGA for the first time as well this year without knowing a single thing about it. I used the advice that I got off of here and I had a great time. It’s a lot of work but was so much fun that I cancelled a paid whitetail hunt to come back next year. I don’t have much to offer in the way of advice because I’m still learning but, I will tell you that good boots with aggressive tread are invaluable. Also, plan for success with clothing layers and keep a puffy jacket in your pack if possible. Take it sloooooww. I didn’t find any deer in the open so I sat on the edge and glassed the thick stuff. I eventually started seeing a few and even though I didn’t kill anything I had a good time.

huntersluck

I heard Amazon bought it. I have no idea but I doubt the state could match a private offer. I have a friend who’s house backs up to Pinelog and his parents just bought it a few years ago. It’ll be a sad day when we lose it!
The Pinelog hunt is 14-17, so yeah, 2 weeks away! I’m not sure where to go, but if East valley gate is closed, I’ll probably go in there.

Yea it will be sad, I killed my first buck there in 1986. I believe that was the first year the WMA had a hunt there

AllTerrainAngler

Agree to disagree

Will never happen so no sense in even bringing that up.

And it could be used by EVERYONE in the state, Not just the rednecks.
You don't think horseback riders would love to ride there. What about the mountain bikers, tree hugger hippies, campers and hikers.
It could have been developed into a nice state park, for everyone, and the rednecks may not have even been able to use it, but the other 99.09% could.
I would still support that.
Heck I would even support a group like Sierra club or some other group to buy it and lock it up and not allow anyone on it.

But this is not what this thread was asking about, and to the original OP I'm sorry if I sidetracked it.
you’re not bothering me one bit. I work for the state and the budgeting is hands down the biggest issue. Not so much the governor himself. If we look back at Sonny Perdue Georgia had purchased all the land around Oaky woods. It was massive. Before he was out he sold the land to close friends. Now it’s one of the biggest private clubs in the middle Ga area. Dues a few years ago were around 2500-3500 a year. Due to that and other factors Oaky is a tiny sliver of what it used to be. Unfortunately the other option for governor is not even remotely concerned with conservation, the people of Ga, or public safety(I assumed by the FF handle. I’m also public safety).

ucfireman

you’re not bothering me one bit. I work for the state and the budgeting is hands down the biggest issue. Not so much the governor himself. If we look back at Sonny Perdue Georgia had purchased all the land around Oaky woods. It was massive. Before he was out he sold the land to close friends. Now it’s one of the biggest private clubs in the middle Ga area. Dues a few years ago were around 2500-3500 a year. Due to that and other factors Oaky is a tiny sliver of what it used to be. Unfortunately the other option for governor is not even remotely concerned with conservation, the people of Ga, or public safety(I assumed by the FF handle. I’m also public safety).
Yeah Perdue was a big crook.
I just wish the state would set aside land, in whatever capacity they can.
Think what Zell Miller did.
In no time we will be so densely populated there wont be much left other than what we already have.
I know a lot of people would rather the state stay out of land ownership. I disagree. Private landowners almost always take the money at the cost of the environment (tree loss, pavement, housing warehouses).
I agree Stacy is BAD NEWS if she gets in. I'm sure her ego she will run again in 4 years if not before for the big office.

Again sorry to the OP for the derail.

AllTerrainAngler

Yeah Perdue was a big crook.
I just wish the state would set aside land, in whatever capacity they can.
Think what Zell Miller did.
In no time we will be so densely populated there wont be much left other than what we already have.
I know a lot of people would rather the state stay out of land ownership. I disagree. Private landowners almost always take the money at the cost of the environment (tree loss, pavement, housing warehouses).
I agree Stacy is BAD NEWS if she gets in. I'm sure her ego she will run again in 4 years if not before for the big office.

Again sorry to the OP for the derail.
I’m the OP. Lol I think Ga as a whole needs to put more money into natural resources and conservation. The public handing land and state land in general is getting slimmer and slimmer. Where I’m at the closest public land is an hour or more away. I was lucky to work with a guy at the PD that let’s me hunt his family’s property. Still an hour away but at least it’s not over pressured.

Jimmack

We have the reverse problem in Florida. The state buys the land then closes it to any hunting or the lawyers from South Florida will lease all your hunting grounds for $35 to $40 an acre putting it out of reach. My old lease went from $1000 a year to $4000 a year overnight and it gets worse everyday.

Latest posts