Was Matthew an inspired writer?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Read the link in post #257.

We are both trying to make a case for things that are beyond our culture.
The man in the link is pretty brash, but he makes a dang good case.
I agree, he makes a good case for Orthodox Jews. Probably one of the better ones I’ve read.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I agree, he makes a good case for Orthodox Jews. Probably one of the better ones I’ve read.
We absolutely cannot know what went on 1, 986+ years ago or even a hundred years ago.
And why I just cannot believe in any of it. In order to discuss these things we have to find out from people who not only still believe like they did for thousands of years but who also understand the culture, language, the definitions and actual non translated words. I am not saying that I believe their stories any more, just that I have to go with their rules to their game.

atlashunter

Then explain the "Great Flood" reset button. Sounds to me like God acknowledged a mistake and attempted a 'do-over'.

An attempt that failed apparently. Not exactly what one would expect from an omniscient omnipotent being.

ambush80

An attempt that failed apparently. Not exactly what one would expect from an omniscient omnipotent being.

I think we should get away from the argument "He wouldn't do it that way" because He just might have. Maybe He's like Captain Kirk, always doing it the hard impossible way.

atlashunter

I think we should get away from the argument "He wouldn't do it that way" because He just might have. Maybe He's like Captain Kirk, always doing it the hard impossible way.

It’s not so much about the way as it is the incoherency of the claims that an all knowing all powerful being does things they regret and then responds with actions that don’t actually change anything other than causing additional suffering and death. If you tell me a fallible deity with very human like traits behaves in this manner I may not believe it but at least the behavior would comport with the nature attributed. Trying to sell a being that behaves in this manner as perfect, all knowing, all powerful, infallible, etc doesn’t work. It’s like selling someone a square circle. Something has to give.

ambush80

It’s not so much about the way as it is the incoherency of the claims that an all knowing all powerful being does things they regret and then responds with actions that don’t actually change anything other than causing additional suffering and death. If you tell me a fallible deity with very human like traits behaves in this manner I may not believe it but at least the behavior would comport with the nature attributed. Trying to sell a being that behaves in this manner as perfect, all knowing, all powerful, infallible, etc doesn’t work. It’s like selling someone a square circle. Something has to give.

When coupled with the caveat "His ways are not our ways and His ways are 'mysterious'" anything can be explained away. It's only a problem for believers that care if it makes sense. For the other ones, making sense doesn't matter. He can make a square circle and a burrito so hot that he can't eat it, but he can eat it. "So simple a child can understand it."