What are You Buying Now That Shocks You the Most?

oldfella1962

Vet bills. Love my dogs and I have always had dogs for the past 50 years, but when the 2 I have pass there will be no more. It's to expensive.
It does add up! My dog is on Apoquel which is 100 dollars per month.
Between my dog and two cats, throw in another 80 or so per month for high-quality flea & tick prevention. Annual rabies shots for all of them another 150 or so (guestimate). Food of course adds up, but I never tried to calculate it. And this is assuming they don't get sick or injured, which recently happened to my dog when he needed a medical procedure.

basshappy

BANNED
Being able to provide some or most of your own food, via hunting and fishing and gardening, is invaluable today. Same for any work you can do on vehicles and your home. Bartering and trading goods and services is also invaluable today. We put 4 deer in our freezer this season. A mess or stocker trout and crappie beside the deer in the freezer. We garden and can to stock our root cellar. Brake jobs, oil changes, replacing filters and hoses and batteries and seals and gaskets, etc, we do ourselves now as well. Perhaps pioneer days are upon us again. Prices for so many goods and services are.much higher than a few years ago. I can't think of any reason they will lower. This is the new market.

Redbow

Vet bills. Love my dogs and I have always had dogs for the past 50 years, but when the 2 I have pass there will be no more. It's to expensive.
Vet bills are off the scale here as well. We don't have dogs anymore but my neighbors do and they are always complaining about the cost of health services for their animals. Some places around our area charge 70 bucks per day per dog for just boarding them.

Baroque Brass

We have two dogs and their care and feeding is expensive but to us they are family members and so we provide them whatever they need. One is a mixed breed rescue that’s low maintenance, the other is an allergy prone golden retriever that requires a shot about every six weeks at $175. That plus the monthly preventative meds and it certainly adds up.

Redbow

We always took care of our animals as well over 44 years of having them. At our age we don't need any more dogs of our own. We dog sit for 2 different neighbors now we do not charge them anything for doing so. And the dogs are great company for us. We could probably buy a new truck with the money we spent on vet bills and caring for our dogs over 44 years of having them, worth ever penny we spent on them too.

Hillbilly stalker

Stopped by the the LGS yesterday. I finally found .410 shells. They were 2 3/4 , 7 1/2 shot……$49.99.:hair:. Went across the state line to the next LGS, they had 3 inch 6’s for $27, I growled and paid for them. The first I’ve seen on a shelf in 2 plus years, people just laugh when you ask about them.

cramer

Stopped by the the LGS yesterday. I finally found .410 shells. They were 2 3/4 , 7 1/2 shot……$49.99.:hair:. Went across the state line to the next LGS, they had 3 inch 6’s for $27, I growled and paid for them. The first I’ve seen on a shelf in 2 plus years, people just laugh when you ask about them.
I found some at Walmart <$25 a few months ago and bought 3 boxes.
Now I need to find a youth Mossberg.

tr21

Vet bills are off the scale here as well. We don't have dogs anymore but my neighbors do and they are always complaining about the cost of health services for their animals. Some places around our area charge 70 bucks per day per dog for just boarding them.
buddy you ain't kidding ! took my husky in Wed. for her annual shots. got 12 heartworm and tick & flea pills while there. $750 :eek: :eek::eek:

Baroque Brass

buddy you ain't kidding ! took my husky in Wed. for her annual shots. got 12 heartworm and tick & flea pills while there. $750 :eek: :eek::eek:
Holy smokes! Why so much? Annual visits for our mutts are usually around $150, more if we need monthly meds.

pjciii

How much do you think I could sell good well water if the cities water system gets contaminated.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I just spent a week working at a veterinary clinic in Colorado. Many vet clinics are being bought up by giant national conglomerates. Pet insurance is driving up the cost probably more than anything is what I am hearing.

Food prices are mind boggling. We made spicy chicken sammy's last weekend and a pack of chicken, a 6 pk of Kaiser rolls and a few other small items was almost 50 bucks.

pjciii

I just spent a week working at a veterinary clinic in Colorado. Many vet clinics are being bought up by giant national conglomerates. Pet insurance is driving up the cost probably more than anything is what I am hearing.

Food prices are mind boggling. We made spicy chicken sammy's last weekend and a pack of chicken, a 6 pk of Kaiser rolls and a few other small items was almost 50 bucks.
I realize the Vets are being squeezed (independent ones) with their cost going up. But national conglomerates would not have gotten into the business if they didn't think they could make alot of money.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I realize the Vets are being squeezed (independent ones) with their cost going up. But national conglomerates would not have gotten into the business if they didn't think they could make alot of money.
Cash cow. Printing money.

georgia_home

Refrigerators!

just purchased a new one today. Bottom freezer, split shelves in fridge!

I tried to prepare my self mentally, but WOW! Sticker shock!

normaldave

GON Weatherman
You could probably near about name your price. Got to have good water. Especially for coffee.
At my Father in Law's for his 90th birthday yesterday. He had coffee at our place recently. One of the two cups he's said he liked in decades... Black.

We brought the coffee maker, 8 O'clock coffee and the grinder. Going to have him make the whole batch. (Oh, and he's on a well to boot).
:fine:

1000003341.jpg

Last edited:

Redbow

My MIL used to always buy the 8 o' clock coffee from the A&P stores. My Grandmother had to have Luzianne coffee.