What are You Buying Now That Shocks You the Most?

oldfella1962

My MIL used to always buy the 8 o' clock coffee from the A&P stores. My Grandmother had to have Luzianne coffee.
Luzianne coffee? Interesting, I've seen commercials for Luzianne tea, but I didn't know they made coffee.

oldfella1962

Refrigerators!

just purchased a new one today. Bottom freezer, split shelves in fridge!

I tried to prepare my self mentally, but WOW! Sticker shock!
Is it one of those "smart" refrigerators that gives you a running inventory of what's in it and whatnot? My refrigerator came with my house so it's 20 years old, and dirt-simple but dependable - I don't ever want to have to replace it.

georgia_home

Nope! Not too fancy. Basic internal water and ice maker. split top doors. Bottom freezer. Lowe’s has the best price. Shelves were split left/right, adjustable … different size containers easy. Milk, etc. good storage organization.

NOT the fancy in / through the door model water and ice . All internal. External seems to break too easily

The absolute baseline for a 33w fd was about 800! The one we chose, No internet, no blue tooth, no screen door that is see through… nothing too fancy… those real fancy ones were over the top!

those fancy ones… some were 2k n up. no way for those! Cray cray!

The unit we are replacing is ~20yo same. internal ice maker and water… also internal. Purchased in 1 state, lived in 2 others…

IMG_2675.jpeg

pjciii

So if you have a couple of brown waters would you stand there and talk it, tell all your problems?:ROFLMAO:

oldfella1962

Nope! Not too fancy. Basic internal water and ice maker. split top doors. Bottom freezer. Lowe’s has the best price. Shelves were split left/right, adjustable … different size containers easy. Milk, etc. good storage organization.

NOT the fancy in / through the door model water and ice . All internal. External seems to break too easily

The absolute baseline for a 33w fd was about 800! The one we chose, No internet, no blue tooth, no screen door that is see through… nothing too fancy… those real fancy ones were over the top!

those fancy ones… some were 2k n up. no way for those! Cray cray!

The unit we are replacing is ~20yo same. internal ice maker and water… also internal. Purchased in 1 state, lived in 2 others…

View attachment 1284273
So some fridges are 2K? :eek: They better come filled with lobster and fancy Japanese steaks for that price.

sinclair1

So some fridges are 2K? :eek: They better come filled with lobster and fancy Japanese steaks for that price.
We just bought new appliances. The whole set is on WiFi and won’t last 10 years. Now the oven is pretty neat seeing everything on the phone while you’re baking. As for the others, not sure I need to know how many times the door opened, but knowing if it thawed is maybe useful.
A smart microwave is useless.

georgia_home

You know better than to think that. ;) …and those were standard residential models… fancy but family size… some went way over.

one place we looked had full on professional models. ASK FOR PRICING…so you know why that means.

oldfella1962

We just bought new appliances. The whole set is on WiFi and won’t last 10 years. Now the oven is pretty neat seeing everything on the phone while you’re baking. As for the others, not sure I need to know how many times the door opened, but knowing if it thawed is maybe useful.
A smart microwave is useless.
I don't even have a smart phone, so I'm going with old-school and simple as much as I can of course.

Redbow

The last refrigerator we bought was the cheapest model Whirlpool makes. It was 700 bucks with no warranty with it. The warranty for 2 years was 100 dollars. Lowe's had a 100 dollars off on the new fridge so we actually paid 600 dollars for it. The owners manual that came with it stated that there was no warranty with the new fridge that we bought. It doesn't even have a light in the freezer compartment. All we needed was a simple fridge for the second one no high dollar machine just a cheap one. The one in our kitchen is the double door thing its 22 years old come this summer and made by whirlpool..

The next one we have to buy for the kitchen will probably be in the 2k range they ain't getting any cheaper now days.

ucfireman

Mayonaise.

A year ago, a quart-ish jar of Hellmans or Dukes was $2.99. Was $7.99 at Publix yesterday. GON have to eat dry sammiches, at that price.
And Dukes cut their size, What was "still 32oz" is now 30oz, and way higher.
Publix here has the highest groceries in town, why people shop there is beyond me but of course to each his own.
BOGO
They will claim it is the BOGO=Buy One Gouged Once
They at least offer 1/2 price if you buy just 1.

Hate Kroger with their 3 different sales every week
buy 10/10 have to buy 10 and yellow stickers
buy 5 save 5.00, yellow stickers and easy to get confused with the 10/10
Digital coupons, have to download them before you go shopping, PITA.
Hate shopping Kroger, Wish I had a Ingles close.
Mostly Aldi and Publix for me.

sinclair1

And Dukes cut their size, What was "still 32oz" is now 30oz, and way higher.

BOGO

They at least offer 1/2 price if you buy just 1.

Hate Kroger with their 3 different sales every week
buy 10/10 have to buy 10 and yellow stickers
buy 5 save 5.00, yellow stickers and easy to get confused with the 10/10
Digital coupons, have to download them before you go shopping, PITA.
Hate shopping Kroger, Wish I had a Ingles close.
Mostly Aldi and Publix for me.
Even when I go to Publix for a sub, I usually see something we use in Bogo. For ketchup and Mayo I will buy 4 each and be done for the year on that item.

oldfella1962

The last refrigerator we bought was the cheapest model Whirlpool makes. It was 700 bucks with no warranty with it. The warranty for 2 years was 100 dollars. Lowe's had a 100 dollars off on the new fridge so we actually paid 600 dollars for it. The owners manual that came with it stated that there was no warranty with the new fridge that we bought. It doesn't even have a light in the freezer compartment. All we needed was a simple fridge for the second one no high dollar machine just a cheap one. The one in our kitchen is the double door thing its 22 years old come this summer and made by whirlpool..

The next one we have to buy for the kitchen will probably be in the 2k range they ain't getting any cheaper now days.
Wait a minute! If materials & technology are constantly improving, then how can a refrigerator only be expected to last two years before it might have problems? :confused:

Redbow

Wait a minute! If materials & technology are constantly improving, then how can a refrigerator only be expected to last two years before it might have problems? :confused:
Because engineers are pretty good at what they do. I have seen refrigerators 50 years old and still cooling and that was a long time ago. They could do better on things that they build today, its the money thing they want.

bassboy1

It does add up! My dog is on Apoquel which is 100 dollars per month.
What protein is in the dog's food?

Wife's dog was on Apoquel for about 5 years. We experimented with a couple different brands and proteins, and she's now been off of it for 3 1/2. No more chicken for Sophie. Only starts itching again if someone gives her chicken table scraps.

Redbow

$10 for industrial waste, cancer in a can. :hair:

You should switch to lard.
I ate enough lard growing up on the farm if it was a deadly thing I guess I should have died many years ago. Lard makes the best biscuits IMO along with a bit of buttermilk mixed in.

georgia_home

Man. i used to do catering part time, with my uncle who was a chef, trained at one of them fancy cooking schools in Connecticut.

mostly good food. BUT! I watched him make a cake for a wedding one time. The icing…. Crisco, sugar and a couple drops of food coloring!

I don’t recall ever eating a commercial cake again after that. That was one of the first things I ever quit, cold turkey.

a little in biscuits is different.. but that icing! uhhhhhhhhh

Tub of Crisco is over $10 now.

bighonkinjeep

Bought a nice LED Maglite on clearance. Got a great deal on the light but the dang C cell batterys were 1 1/2 times more $ than the flashlight...

specialk

Because engineers are pretty good at what they do. I have seen refrigerators 50 years old and still cooling and that was a long time ago. They could do better on things that they build today, its the money thing they want.
i've got an upright fridgedaire freezer made by General Motors that we bought used in 1990....still works, have to defrost it about once a year though.....