What are you shooting this year?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
never been a ML guy....hunted a time or 2 with them. Always wanted to get one, but for 1 weekend a year, I cant justify it. I wish they would take a week off bow season and give ya'll 2 weeks.....or take away a week of rifle and give ya'll an extra week....something.

Good luck to ya'll!

The season is a week, not a weekend ?

ventilator

I like my Omega a lot. But if you'll shoot two pellets and then three over a chronograph, I bet you find that there's not enough difference to justify that third pellet... ?
Shot 3 for years then went to two for several years. Im back to 3 again now lol. My Omega seems to shoot better at 100 with 3 and ive lost a couple bucks that i knocked down, got up and ran off at 100-125. May have done the same with 3 but im gonna try and blast the **** out of them! lol. Also, i shot a small 8pt in NC yesterday morning with it. 75 yds, shoulder hit. Still ran 100yds before it decided to die. Not much of a blood trail. Typical of a ML for me. I still like to kill one or two a year with it. Taking it this weekend in SC for the last couple of days of season.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Shot 3 for years then went to two for several years. Im back to 3 again now lol. My Omega seems to shoot better at 100 with 3 and ive lost a couple bucks that i knocked down, got up and ran off at 100-125. May have done the same with 3 but im gonna try and blast the **** out of them! lol. Also, i shot a small 8pt in NC yesterday morning with it. 75 yds, shoulder hit. Still ran 100yds before it decided to die. Not much of a blood trail. Typical of a ML for me. I still like to kill one or two a year with it. Taking it this weekend in SC for the last couple of days of season.
What projectile are you using? Sounds like an bullet performance issue.

earlthegoat2

In my earlier days of “modern” muzzleloading, I used 240 gr 44 cal bullets in 50 cal sabots with 2 pellets of Pyrodex. I shot around 8 deer of various sizes with this combo. None of the deer shot died within a satisfactory distance. I was hunting the edge of some woods so most of the deer stayed in the open area and I had eyes on them the whole time. I never recovered a bullet either so I couldn’t say if it was bullet performance or not. The entry and exit holes always looked the same size so that tells me expansion did not occur. May account for no bullets recovered too for that matter.

One correlation though was that the further away the shot was taken, the longer the deer took to expire.

Finally I quit that combo and played with 45 cal Nosler Partitions, Barnes MZs, and plain old Hornady 250 gr SP all in sabots and still with 2 pellets of Pyrodex and all have given much better performance.

I used a 54 cal inline last year with MMP sabots and 300 gr 50 cal Hornady FTX bullets made for 500 S&W Mag. 100 gr of loose 777. Knocked the snot out of the only deer I shot with it. DRT.

I’m trying Shockwaves this year which appear to just be Hornady FTX bullets. also using loose 3F 777. 90 gr this time. It was a quick decision on my part since I, as usual, got a late start on preparing for the hunting season.

I still have the 58 Hawken which I sighted with 100 gr of 3F black and .570 round ball. The charge is a bit on the high side but the gun seemed to like it. It is a proven deer stopper as of last year. Shot a doe a bit back but still in the lungs. It stood there like it was paralyzed for a couple of seconds before just crumpling.

deast1988

Omega 150gr of 777, 250gr spitfire Barnes

Buck Stalker 120gr 777, 250gr spite fire barnes,

CVA Optima V2 pistol, 100gr white hots, 290gr bore driver

Attachments

• C3A447EB-157C-4371-83A3-E6CA7BDDE745.jpeg
    C3A447EB-157C-4371-83A3-E6CA7BDDE745.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 3
  • BE1C9BE4-B337-40F7-B4BE-AE1B4F2C1CB7.jpeg
    BE1C9BE4-B337-40F7-B4BE-AE1B4F2C1CB7.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 3

ventilator

Shot mostly with Hornady 44 cal 240gr with Sabot. Last deer i shot was with 245gr Powerbelt. I tried a 200gr shockwave and it didnt even seem to expand at all. WOnt try those again. The Powerbelt had a good entry and exit, still not much blood. I may have to go with 295 gr powerbelt or maybe even the 300gr bullet mentioned in 45 cal w sabot

Killer Kyle

Traditions Buckstalker with a Nikon BDC 3x9.
100 grains white hots, CCI 209M primers, and
300 grain Harvester White Lightnings. Works every time.

Rabun

I’ll be shooting (hopefully) my old .50 700 ML w 100 grains of BP under a 370gr maxi ball. Weather looks nice and chilly for the mountains. Hope everyone has a great hunt!

RamblinWreck88

Shot mostly with Hornady 44 cal 240gr with Sabot. Last deer i shot was with 245gr Powerbelt. I tried a 200gr shockwave and it didnt even seem to expand at all. WOnt try those again. The Powerbelt had a good entry and exit, still not much blood. I may have to go with 295 gr powerbelt or maybe even the 300gr bullet mentioned in 45 cal w sabot
I've heard the exact same thing about the Hornady SST's many times over. I sighted mine in with those at first, and even carried them on several hunts (didn't see anything), but after hearing so much about their inconsistencies, I switched over to the T/C Cheap Shot 240gr lead hollowpoints, as I've heard nothing but good about their performance. Will report back after I shoot something with them.

Deer Farmer

I will be shooting my new Accura LR-X 50 Cal loaded with 100gr Blackhorn power with Hornady BoreDriver Bullets. I purchased this weapon for late season in NW Missouri.

GAHUNTER60

I'll be hunting with the same rifle I hunted with last season -- a .54 caliber Kibler Colonial flintlock, loaded with real black and patched round ball. In fact, like last year, I'll carry it every day, even through modern rifle season.

If I get a deer or two with it, that's great! If I don't, that's great, too! I'm getting kinda old and have killed enough deer over that years that I'm just not that mad at them any more!;)

1666187605459.jpeg
1666187652208.jpeg

Last edited:

steveus

Thompson Center Stainless Encore, 50 cal. Thompson Center Stainless 28" Barrel, Burris 4x fixed scope, Blackhorn 209 100 gr., 200gr 40cal. Shockwave bullets in sabots, Winchester 209 primers. Works very well!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
In my flintlock longrifle I`ll be shooting a 490 patched round ball with 60 grains of DuPont Goex FFFg. Same thing in my percussion plains rifle with 70 grains of FFFg.

RamblinWreck88

I'll be hunting with the same rifle I hunted with last season -- a .54 caliber Kibler Colonial flintlock, loaded with real black and patched round ball. In fact, like last year, I'll carry it every day, even through modern rifle season.

If I get a deer or two with it, that's great! If I don't, that's great, too! I'm getting kinda old and have killed enough deer over that years that I'm just not that mad at them any more!;)

View attachment 1183877
View attachment 1183878
That is a fine-looking rifle! Looks like you did a great job finishing it!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
My Omega and my Hawken are cleaned, oiled, wipes down, and put away without a shot being fired in 2022...

I'm done, better luck next year!

Latest posts