What do you guys think???

M77 Ruger

I was at deer camp the other day and we got to talking about hunting bucks and if we would shoot a smaller buck just because its late season or because we haven't shot one yet or if our target buck broke off on one side would we still shoot it or give it a pass. So my answer was if I wouldn't mount it then I wouldn't shoot it. I love deer meat but I would rather shoot a doe for deer meat as I think it taste better than a buck anyway. I have never been one to shoot a buck just because or I felt like I wasn't a good hunter because I didn't shoot one. This is just how I feel about it but that doesn't make me right or some one else wrong. We all see trophies differently. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

fatback

As long as it is legal, shoot what makes you happy. Some seasons I won’t shoot anything but a large trophy buck that I have targeted and let everything else pass. Other times I shoot what is legal be it a spike, doe, fork horn, etc... It all depends on what mood I am in and what would make me happy and have an enjoyable trip to the woods. Too often, I believe, people are more concerned about what others think of their hunt than what they think of it themselves and I just can not understand that. I’ve killed a 200 inch buck and many other deer that would be considered trophies the last buck I killed was a 6 point that I was just as excited about. They all make me excited and happy when I shoot them, if not then I don’t shoot them. Stay legal and safe and shoot what you want.

M77 Ruger

As long as it is legal, shoot what makes you happy. Some seasons I won’t shoot anything but a large trophy buck that I have targeted and let everything else pass. Other times I shoot what is legal be it a spike, doe, fork horn, etc... It all depends on what mood I am in and what would make me happy and have an enjoyable trip to the woods. Too often, I believe, people are more concerned about what others think of their hunt than what they think of it themselves and I just can not understand that. I’ve killed a 200 inch buck and many other deer that would be considered trophies the last buck I killed was a 6 point that I was just as excited about. They all make me excited and happy when I shoot them, if not then I don’t shoot them. Stay legal and safe and shoot what you want.

A lot of truth right here..

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
I guess I am a strange bird. The land I hunt is way below carrying capacity, therefore I won’t shoot a doe. The bucks get big, given a chance, therefore I wont shoot a small one. I hunt simply for the enjoyment, big bucks are what excite me, for now, we won’t starve without venison. Many years ago, I heard a hunter say that he paid good money to hunt here, he was going to kill something, it disgusted me. I also encountered a hunter from a neighboring property, a week into the season. I asked him how it was going for them. His reply was that they had killed 11 spikes so far, he said he couldn’t understand why they couldn’t kill a good racked buck.
Be legal, be safe, have fun and understand the long term consequences of adding your shot to those of thousands of others.

buckpasser

I guess I am a strange bird. The land I hunt is way below carrying capacity, therefore I won’t shoot a doe. The bucks get big, given a chance, therefore I wont shoot a small one. I hunt simply for the enjoyment, big bucks are what excite me, for now, we won’t starve without venison. Many years ago, I heard a hunter say that he paid good money to hunt here, he was going to kill something, it disgusted me. I also encountered a hunter from a neighboring property, a week into the season. I asked him how it was going for them. His reply was that they had killed 11 spikes so far, he said he couldn’t understand why they couldn’t kill a good racked buck.
Be legal, be safe, have fun and understand the long term consequences of adding your shot to those of thousands of others.

You nailed it. I don’t know many hunters who’ve been at it very long that deviate from their goals anyway. If a good deer hunter is after a big or mature buck on day one, that’s what he’s after the last day. If a guy just wants the meat he stays the course too. The rookies, big talkers, newbies, and the easily excitable are the ones with excuse adapted hunting goals.

Bucaramus

Don't sound strange to me at all.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I can’t afford to mount big bucks.
Therefore I shoot medium bucks and leave the big boys for the trophy hunters.
It seems the trophy hunters don’t do as good. There’s plenty of BIG bucks here. I see them.
Then they say to me, if you would quit shooting them medium bucks I could maybe get a trophy buck.
At this point I get confused ?‍♀️
I’m not even hunting done got my 2 bucks early and they have had the woods. ?

Another thing I have noticed is the picture taking. Just because they took a pic of it and didn’t never see it while hunting. Doesn’t mean u let it go. ?
I let that deer walk.

Anyway it’s easy being a critic.

Y’all have fun. Enjoy the woods.
Let a doe walk. ?

Mike 65

I'll admit it: I'm a horn hunter. But mainly, I just enjoy sitting in the woods and watching the wildlife. We dont shoot does, or bucks that wont go on the wall. I've killed one buck in the last 7/8 yrs but I've had many great hunts.
This!

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
People used to have more fun when they didn’t worry about Mature, Cull, or smaller bucks!

I admit I’m guilty of it as well but had more fun shooting spikes, 4pts, and small 6 & 8pts.

Just have fun and enjoy the sport if you want to shoot him go for it!

I was just as proud at 16 yrs old riding a spike around on back of my truck as I am a 10pt today!

bany

My Georgia spot I’ve been a watcher and a killer. I’ve only shot a couple doe there in years. I’ve passed a ton of bucks and of interest they out number does most years. Lately I’m more prone to shoot a small buck and let mid size walk. I have killed a couple “lifetime” bucks which helps me let the midsize get old wether I ever will see them later or not. My son got his first buck there. A midsize with great potential. I was soo dang happy for him it wasn’t funny or an issue.
Other places I hunt, filling the tags is the goal. It’s all about enjoying the hunt, the food, and doing it right!

FootLongDawg

I have been hunting for almost 50 years. When i was young, I would shoot any buck. It was even kind of a competion to see who could kill the most deer in the clubs I was in back when the rules were 2 bucks and 3 does a season. Now, I would feel horrible shooting a small buck. I think most guys, if you hunt long enough, change what is important to them. Today, I dont even shoot does, rarely see a buck I would shoot and subsequently go years without shooting a deer. But I have never enjoyed hunting as much as I do now. I spend a lot of money on leases, plots and travel. A good day to me is seeing 10 to 15 deer in my plot, feeding away with my untouched gun over in the corner of my tower blind.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Hunters are different and have different desires. Yet We all seem to have one thing in common, we love to be in the woods! As much as I’d love to kill a monster buck, I am a newbie and would be just as satisfied “This season” with another doe, or two. As I kill more deer my desires may change. But one thing will remain unchanged......my love for being in the outdoors.