What If ...... would this make you a Poacher??

Ga-Spur

If it was not over any bait I would shoot him because I would not have shot any other bucks anyway. They don't eat too good . I believe we are not getting all the truth though.

Al33

Simple ,

no doubt for me I would not shoot, and I mean it.

To shoot one buck, any buck over the limit, regardless of his headgear, is or would be pure, simple, selfishness without respect for the deer or others. These negative traits are used to describe poachers, which is exactly what you would be if you did it.

If i come across as some Mr. Goody Two-shoes, then so be it. Better that than a poacher.

Al

Ramey Jackson

Thomas Lackey said:
This one is easy.

I'd cry, yep cry. Why you ask? Because I wouldn't shoot and here's my personal reason.

If I were to succumb to temptation, first there would be no celebration, no bragging to all you guys, no fun. Just a bunch of work trying to hide my illegal buck from everybody in the world. I'd be a bonified liar. Why would it be worth it to shoot such a magnificant animal and not be able to share in your accomplishment with others? It would be nothing more than a lie to everyone I knew and that's not worth it.

I couldn't do that. Not that kind of person.

Tommy

I like that Thomas! Well said.

FootLongDawg

Oh yeah, I would share the fact I shot it with others. My hunting buddies are just as sleazy as I am. :bounce: Let me say something here. We do NOT break any game laws. It has been soooo long since I have even shot two bucks in the same season, that I cannot even remember. I also only take one or two does a year, strictly as a management tool. I believe the point of this post is "Could you be tempted by a deer". When it comes to a giant monster like the one described here;a truely once in a life time buck, the answer for me is SURE. We are only talking about a deer here, not cheating on your wife or embezzling (sp) money or something like that. I know a lot of you guys here will gasp at this, trying to say there is no such thing as " situational ethics", but I could live with myself. It just seems to me when posts like this pop up, a lot of people rush in to say " Not me, I can't be tempted and I want everybody to know it." I am just saying I could. PS If I got caught do you think GobblinLawyer would represent me? :D

Timberman

Just a bunch of work trying to hide my illegal buck from everybody in the world

I've seen that happen before and there is no joy to it. If I shoot a giant I'm dang sure gonna ride him around til the hair slips, so he'd have to be legal. :flag:

Course I usually quit hunting when my buck tags are filled, so it'd be very unlikely such a scenario would happen to me.

JerryC

I got my two bucks early this season and saw a really nice buck later in the season and just watched. It was nice to know I was doing what was right and that there were still bucks on the property and that they will be back next year! -JerryC

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
There's plenty of truth in what I said.

Footlongdawg,

I'm not putting you down for what you said. If that's how you feel, that's how you feel. I just know what I would do and that's all I care about. This board is about the opinions of everybody on here. I'll listen to them all. Disagree or agree. I don't think it's going in the crapper whatsoever. Nobody here is going to think a like.

Tommy

dead deer

that would be one dead deer and i would have one happy 5 year old.she is always with me after i have taken care of my business.

Al33

BCooper

This is your quote from your thread about a sad deer season.

Quote: "i enjoy watching as much as the harvesting."

::huh:

Al

my quote

i meant that as after i had filled my tags for the year,i take my five year old with me.if she thought she could handle taking the deer,and she is pretty good with her little .223,i would let her,but if not,i carry a palm sized mini dvd recording camera with me whenever i am in the woods.been doin that for years. i have hours of recordings of deer in the woods.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Al33 said:
This is your quote from your thread about a sad deer season.

Quote: "i enjoy watching as much as the harvesting."

::huh:

Al

Al, I think you misread Burt's post here, he said he would allow his 5 year old daughter to shoot the deer since she would be with him after his buck tags are filled.

Jim

Al33

Thanks Jim,

Note that I DID put the "I'm confused" icon in my post. :D

Thanks for clearing it up for me, I feel much better now. ;) :eek: :fine:

Bert, looks like I am typing before reading. Did not realize ou had already responded. Thanks for explaining all.

BTW Bert, what time is it in Japan? Can you tell it's real early here for me? :bounce:

Al

Last edited:

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
If I shoot I have undone everything I have taught my children about the Rule of Law and hunter ethics.

Seems like I remember an Andy Griffin story about being honest, something about a leaking roof.

dominantpredator

I am weak in this area of my life....and if all fair chase involved (no bait no lights no tresspassing and on my property sitting in my stand) he is a dead deer...no guilty feelings either...I am a trophy hunter and that is what I would do ...I could care less if you or someone else thought. I can never remember killing three trophy bucks in my 25 years of deer hunting. And some of you , I believe have a tendency to lie. Oh yeah, I would not even be hunting if I had already killed my 2 bucks...but is all hypothetically speaking. ::ke: ::ke: ::ke:

Larry Rooks

No I would nto shoot. If he is 200 incher now, next year he'll be bigger, shoot him then :bounce:

If I had already killed two Bucks and nine Does, I would not be in the woods to start with, I would be getting over the long season, I don't need that many deer

Heathen

Simple Yes Or No?

YES :bounce:
You can say he would be bigger next year, but who's to say you would see a buck of a lifetime twice? :confused:

Al33

Obviously,

this subject could be a divisive one, but to be frank, I would prefer to be divided from those of you who would kill the buck. This is not to insult or offend anyone, just to state a fact, and I am not a liar just because it sounds self rightious to someone.

If you are dishonest in the small things, you will be dishonest in the large things.

You can say you would not be in the woods in the first place had you killed two bucks, but if the monster stepped out right after you killed the second buck, well...........? I certainly don't believe someone would do it knowing a DNR officer was watching, so why would yo do it if he wasn't. Truly, no pride in it no matter the size of the antlers.

If you can justify it, I suppose you can live with it. I am glad I can live not doing it.

Al