What If ...... would this make you a Poacher??

bilgerat

Senior
yes its poaching and if your good you could shoot him in the knees and go and get a buddie to finish him off! just kidding , it would be the hardest thing Ive ever done but Id let him walk.

jay sullivent

i never intentionally break the law heathen. i've forgotton my vest beofore and realized it too late, i've forgotton my plug on a dove field and had to widdle a stick to put in my gun, i once put a stand a few feet over the property line at my club and hunted without realizing til after. stuff like that happens. but i NEVER intentionally break the law while hunting!!! it ruins it!! it's like cheating in a card game!!! i take pride in that. the laws are simple!! it ain't that hard to follow the law!!!!

dutchman

Uh-oh

There's one more can of worms in this already wormy thread. The putting of a stand on a property line. Where's the deer gotta be before you'd shoot him? Never mind. Please don't answer that question. We're having way too much fun on here with the original question. That's another thread for another time. :bounce:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
dutchman said:
There's one more can of worms in this already wormy thread. The putting of a stand on a property line. Where's the deer gotta be before you'd shoot him? Never mind. Please don't answer that question. We're having way too much fun on here with the original question. That's another thread for another time. :bounce:
been asked before and had the same content in the replies.

Jim

jay sullivent

i know my neighbors at my club. all farmers, and it wouldn't be a problem but i'd rather shoot in on my side. my neigbors have an open invitation to hunt my land as long as they let my know before. they rarely use it. i have to cross their hay field to access my club so i let the deer get on my property just as not to wear out my welcome.

GeauxLSU

Too many posts in this thread to read them all but I just want to make sure I understand the ORIGINAL question. Near as I can tell, the quesiton is... "If you poach a deer, or you a poacher?" ::huh:
To all the poachers out there, don't worry, there are several people who have the same unethical practices. No need to seek support in numbers, you have them. Enjoy it.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Funny Story.

The president of my hunting club has a stand on the property line. Well, this season he saw a massive 9pt just across the creek on the other property. The deer got right down to the creek 30yds from him. He thought he was going to cross the creek and then it would be gravy. Well, that ole buck just decided to mosey on down the creek instead of crossing it. The prez sat and watched this deer for 5 minutes before he finally walked back up into a pine thicket on the other side. Said it about killed him to watch that buck, but he didn't shoot it.

This is the funny part. He knows the adjoining landowner and him and my dad went over to his house to chat. The landowner looked at the prez and after he told him the story of the big buck and laughed!!! Said, "Why didn't you shoot him??" "I don't care!" Then he told my dad and the prez if you see the same big buck or another on the line go ahead and pull the trigger. He doesn't hunt all that much and said it would be fine!!

Well, now if we're on that particular property line we have the go ahead to open up on a deer!

I guess it all worked itself out in the end.

Tommy

Heathen

Laws are laws no matter if it is broken intentionally or not. Jay did you still hunt even though you forgot or orange? Like I said before I do hunt by the law and always have, but in this situation I would definitely be tempted. I guess you folks think speeding is an ok law to break, but what if you were doing say ten over the speed limit someone turns in front of you, you can't stop you t-bone them and a person gets killed. That ten miles an hour could have made the difference between that person living and dying. Now can you tell me that by me taking one deer over the limit I am hurting any one physically or mentally? We can argue this point all day long, but you still can't tell me it's ok to break some petty laws but not others. The excuse for not "INTENTIONALLY" speeding is no excuse at all just ask an officer. :bounce:

jay sullivent

yes i did, though i didn't see a deer in that instance and it would have been a tough choice i admit. i don't claim to be perfect. it says in the regs that you must have written permission while hunting the land of another also. how many break that one. i guess i agree with toliver for the most part. i think the DNR also understands this. i have gotton many warnings from the DNR for different little things over the years. i know some of you have too. anyone ever gotton a warning for hunting without orange??? anyone shot a deer with no orange and only gotton a warning??

Heathen

Well I for one have never hunted with out orange I just don't feel safe, because you never know who could be out there and if they shoot at every thing that moves. :shoot: I just wear it as a safety device.

stumpman

Banned
Here we go again just like the baiting thread. I don't have that problem I havn't had the oppertunity to kill more than 1 nice buck in a year. Where I hunt you can kill as many as you want a buck a day so with that said. It doesn't matter how petty it is if it be speeding 2 mph over the limit or killing 1 to many bucks or hunting without orange where it's required one is no less against the law or better of a crime than the other. If it makes you feel better because more do one than the other your still wrong. If caught you still broke a law of the land. Yes I am guilty of lots of things I by no means am perfect and if the shot of a lifetime came up and I had tagged out I would like to say I would pass but until that time comes I won't say for sure. This thread will go on and on just like the baiting thread and someone else will get mad and leave most likely. It's rediculous for some to think they are better than others we are all guilty of breaking some law sometime.

Stumpman

matthewsman

No question

CPiper said:
Do you shoot or watch??

Watch

CPiper said:
Stay legal OR break the rules "just this one time"??

Stay legal

Donnie

CPiper

LOL!!

One of the huge draw backs to hunting nowdays is the "PCness" of it all.
To suggest that my post on a hypothetical situation is an indication of being in the crapper ...... well Sir, that is distasteful on YOUR part and to be honest, disrespectful of ME. ;)

To many deer hunters now days act as if THEY are the high and holy righteous ones.
Problem is, we tend to judge others by their actions and ourselves by out thought process (ethics, values, morals, principles).
It is hard to show wisdom when one is so full of judgement.

Did it ever occur to you that this hypothical situation just might, maybe, actually HELP someone??

My dad used to sale Peterbilt trucks. His job carried him all over the SouthEast' on overnight road trips.
He spent many a long and lonley hours behind the wheel of his chevy caprice making sales calls and many a night in a motel room - and never once did my daddy stray from my momma.
Why? He told me "Son, what you have to do is determine up front what you will and wont do. In your mind, think it out, put yourself in that tough situation, examine all the possibilitys, of what would and probably would happen - if you think it out and get real with yourself, you will make the right decision most of the time."
No difference here - you never know, some member of this BB might find themselves in this very situation next deer season or a few from now and something someone wrote on here might jog into their memory banks and they do the "right" thing. ;)
After all, that is part of what we are here for isnt it? We are our brother's keeper are we not? ;)

Before you look down your nose and pass judgement, best be cleaning YOUR life up. About the time you pass judgement on me, you open yourself up for me to scrutinize you.

Looks like one member walks on water, I know I sure dont.
LOL!!

THE quesiton was not if shooting that deer made you a poacher, THE question was ..... "WOULD YOU SHOOT THE DEER??"

Ethics?
Who's measure stick do we use? Mine or yours?
BIG BIG BIG difference in LEGALITY and ETHICS!
We hunters are a dense bunch!! :rolleyes:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
CPiper said:
Who's measure stick do we use? Mine or yours?
BIG BIG BIG difference in LEGALITY and ETHICS!
We hunters are a dense bunch!! :rolleyes:

probably best to just use the law's measuring stick and then anything else you do not agree with that is already legal work to overturn it if you can drum up enough support for it, kinda the way our lives run on everything else.

Jim

don't worry

all this is good,but let me offer ya'll up something to chew on.i may shoot bobcats illegally,so what,hang around for another 10 years and 1.if you don't OWN your own land or have a heck of alot of money to lease land,and i mean alot cause prices are constantly going up with no end in sight,you will be playing golf.or 2.they are gonna take away what we hunt with,therefor in their eyes,solving the problem.liberals are happy,no more privately owned guns,PETA is happy,no more animals being slaughtered,and you are still playing golf.need proof,for those NRA members in here,read the debate between Wayne Lapierre and Rebecca Peters.its not just our own peolple that want our guns,the U.N. wants them too.it is sad to say but in reality,our days are numbered.we need to do what we can now to try and push it back as far as we can.just thought i would share that.

Huntervationist

do you put 5 ounces of shot or mercury in a bass 4 ounces from the world record?

Or shoot a monster deer with no tag left, or take a $1000.00 if you think no one will be watching or find out.
I'm not passing judgment, that would be for the judge and jury to do, I'm just stating that for me......I would pass........I love to hunt and fish, and no set of antlers is worth the loss of something i have cherished all my life.

P.S. A local here just before last season opened, shot the biggest buck ever killed in Washington co. he killed it at night over a field with a spotlight, he is a farmer/hunter who had a permit to kill off his field, but the buck, he took to a local taxidermist, who of course reported him.You cant "profit" from the killing, and a trophy rack is a profit....IE: He poached.
He hurt himself and his family.

Consequences........

Burt..........are you saying that if we dont "believe in or respect" a law we should not obey it?............do you realy want that can of worms opened?

Last edited:

stumpman

Banned
Hunter if he had a permit how does that make it illegal ? If it's his farm how was it poaching i don't understand. They get those permits here.

Huntervationist

Stumpman

First if you have a permit to kill deer off your fields you cant remove them or profit from their killing nor kill a buck, he broke all three stipulations to the permit. he removed the deer he profited by harvesting the deer for a trophy rack, and he killed a buck, the last, one might argue intent(did he mean to kill a buck)....but the other two are conclusive. he will lose his hunting privileges.

stumpman

Banned
In sc the club I was getting in they can kill bucks up there I'm not sure about at night. Here a friend of mine can do it at night but has to donate the meat to a needy family or charity .I guess all states are different.