What If ...... would this make you a Poacher??

here ya go.

[straight off the dnr website].Under most circumstances, deer harvest during legal hunting seasons should adequately reduce deer populations. However, in some instances special permits may be issued to commercial farmers to allow removal of nuisance antlerless deer outside of the open hunting season. These permits can only be issued to growers having a 3-acre minimum of commercial crops. Crop damage permits to remove a specific number of antlerless deer are obtained from the DNR Game Management Section. A field assessment of damage by wildlife biologists or technicians may be r[equired.

Huntervationist

Stump....i think that georgia should adopt a change in the permit policy, it is a shame for them(the deer) to go to waste, donating them to the hunters for the hungry program would be an outstanding place to start, but the no buck rule, and the non profit rule are great guidlines, and perhaps something to look at in other states as well.

P.S an important update on the local guy......the land he was killing over is leased land, and soybeans on the land was left on the plant all season and used as feed for deer and for deer hunting.........this was clearly an abuse.

Last edited:

CPiper

LOL!!

Jim Thompson: Im glad someone pick up on the legal/ethics issue - so many hunters use the law to fit their ethics.

OK, lets turn the table a bit ......... How many doe deer do you shoot over the limit?? Being a die-hard QDM fan and practicer, have any of you fellas ever shot over the doe limit and thought in your mind you owed it to the deer, the other wildlife and habitat to take "just one more doe deer"???

Ya'll wanna get REAL!!??
For you "goody goody two shoes" .... did you drive over the speed limit today?? Oh yea, thats right ... THATS different isnt it??! LOL!!
Shooting the afore mentioned buck after filling your buck limit is no different then driving 56 in a 55.
Right is right and wrong is wrong - dont compromise integrity!!

My motive? To show how we hunters "justify" breaking the law. ::ke:

beginnersluck

CPiper said:
LOL!!

Jim Thompson: Im glad someone pick up on the legal/ethics issue - so many hunters use the law to fit their ethics.

OK, lets turn the table a bit ......... How many doe deer do you shoot over the limit?? Being a die-hard QDM fan and practicer, have any of you fellas ever shot over the doe limit and thought in your mind you owed it to the deer, the other wildlife and habitat to take "just one more doe deer"???

Ya'll wanna get REAL!!??
For you "goody goody two shoes" .... did you drive over the speed limit today?? Oh yea, thats right ... THATS different isnt it??! LOL!!
Shooting the afore mentioned buck after filling your buck limit is no different then driving 56 in a 55.
Right is right and wrong is wrong - dont compromise integrity!!

My motive? To show how we hunters "justify" breaking the law. ::ke:
I agree and understand what you are saying...but let's go to the original question...would it be poaching? YES! Just as driving 56 in a 55 is speeding. I try to follow the law as closely as I can. :flag:

CPiper

Iv posted this already - follow closer ...... The question was not if you'd be a poacher, it is if you would shoot or not. The poacher question was JUST the title ..... follow closer. :D ;) :p

bubbafowler

Different approach same question

OK Now for a Different question. Say you have killed your two legal bucks and are now doe hunting. You see a nice fat one right at dark and take her. When you get down there "she" is actually a spike with 2 in. tines. Most of us have accidently shot a spike for a doe, so what do you do if this situation ever arises. Do you turn yourself in, or keep hiding it?? ::huh:

Huntervationist

I used to get close to the limit.....when it was 2........i have never come close to the present limit....though i see more than enough each season to limit out....

Cpiper.............thanks for the compliment.....goody 2 shoes........Ive worked hard to over come the idea that i was not.

BTW im one of those guys you come up behind on the old country roads in thier farm truck and curse......i "TOOL" around at the speed limit or under anymore......cant afford the tickets and insurance.

stumpman

Banned
CPiper said:
Iv posted this already - follow closer ...... The question was not if you'd be a poacher, it is if you would shoot or not. The poacher question was JUST the title ..... follow closer. :D ;) :p
When viewing this thread it asked if you would be a poacher and in the question asked would you shoot and I think most folks gave there answer to both. Mine is post #76.

seminoleslayer

EVERYONE CAN SAY WHAT THEY WOULD DO .UNTIL THEY ARE IN THAT SITUATION AND I BELIEVE MOST WOULD PULL THE TRIGGER.IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHERE I'M HUNTING TO WHETHER I WOULD PULL THE TRIGGER OR NOT. :shoot:

CPiper

Hey, no harm intended .... just trying to get folks to think and think long term.
Too many hunters get focused on "when does season start and how many can I kill".

I aint trying to p[ick no fight, NO WAY!!
Just fuel for the off season fire. :D ;)

E

edge

well, um...it does kinda ask the question

Yes, as a matter of fact it does ask "would this make you a poacher?"

And, yes, it would.

elmerpud

It's Dead

All you guy that said you would not shoot, that’s just talk. You really don’t know what you would do until you are put in that situation. It’s kinda like the guy who says he would never cheat on his wife, then a Pam Anderson/Halle Berry/etc…(what ever rocks your boat) ask you, then your going to say no. Yea, you’re going to be all over it, I know I would and my wife knows I would too.
I personally have been in a situation where I saw the biggest buck I had ever seen in my life. He and I were both off our property the buck was within 50 yards of me, I did not shoot it. But if that deer would have been on my property I would have blown him up.
:shoot:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
elmer,

Your assesment of many of us, I'm proud to say, is very incorrect.

I know that my marriage vows are very sacred to me and I know quite a few of these other men that I can vouch for as well.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
what Jeff said..........

mine were sacred to me, also.........unfortunately, my ex- wife thought like Elmer (no offense, dude)........yeah, I'm a goody 2 shoes..........don't even speed..............glad my daughter turned out the same way........ :) :)

stumpman

Banned
elmerpud said:
It’s kinda like the guy who says he would never cheat on his wife, then a Pam Anderson/Halle Berry/etc…(what ever rocks your boat) ask you, then your going to say no. Yea, you’re going to be all over it, I know I would and my wife knows I would too.
:shoot:
Your wrong speak for your self I have personaly had the chance with a beautiful rich women but I told her a 1 night stand with her wasn't worth loseing my wife and kid over. No thanks I'll pass.

elmerpud

get our head out

You guys need to lighten up a little and not be so serious. I didn’t realize we had so many Baptist on the forum. There is a many deer poacher as dear poaches out there so look out. Sinners are a lot more fun than saints. :yeah: :yeah: